1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

adsl2+ and home phone installation in apartment (With NEW issues)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by kinet1c, Jun 13, 2013.

1. caspian

caspian Member

my experience looking at several thousand port performance reports suggests otherwise. attainable cannot be lower than actual - it's impossible. attainable is the potential bitrate down to unsustainable SNR, actual is attainable minus the buffer set by SNR.

the confusion is caused primarily by crap modems, and secondarily by people screwing with the port profiles that were designed that way for a reason.

2. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Out of curiosity ive done a factory reset of the modem and played ps3 online for 20-30 mins and am still seeing quite a few errors.

Click to view full size!

Is there something im missing or is the part of the adsl beast?

Connection on psn was solid with full green bars and no noticable lag.

[​IMG]

quick speed test for loose reference

Bringing the noise margin to 50% sees the sync come up to 13641kbps

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

[​IMG]

Then finally down at 10% noise margin I see another jump

Click to view full size!

[​IMG]

errors dont seem to fluctuate download speed increases and all downloaded files seem to complete fine.

The maximum attainable speed might be reported wrong but i am seeing a positive result with these settings. If in some way this can damage hardware im more than happy to drop it all back to defaults.

Sorry for all the pics but we all have broadband right?

3. GooSE

GooSE New Member

You're not going to damage anything.

Just leave it. If you notice issues, dial it back a bit. Easy.

4. .Morphio

.Morphio Member

^ This, just dial the setting back a bit to the point where the errors decrease enough that the throughput you get is roughly what the sync speed is - ie. if you get 14Mbps then expect ~1.4MB/sec.

5. JuicEmatic

JuicEmatic Member

i've probably only seen ~1500, reported by our RVOP or customer modem. but yeah im not saying the reported attainable is always accurate and maybe useless was too strong a term but i generally take that measurement with a grain of salt.

also with the errors ive tended to find throughput doesnt suffer too badly until it reaches somewhere in the hundreds of thousands

6. caspian

caspian Member

remember that ADSL frames cells at the rate of 4,000/second. over anything more than a couple of minutes, several thousand errors are pretty insignificant.

7. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Alright unrelated to any settings but you guys probably know where best to look. Internet has been rock solid since the smooth install but over a week ago now woke up to sub 1000kbps speeds and no dial tone. In fact no power to the corded phone at all. A million calls to tpg later, isolation tests and an "engineer" paying a visit they have come to the conclusion the problem is in my building/block.

Does this sound likely? I've contacted strata and the executive committee and things are moving but I'd love to be able to point them in the right direction. Could a mouse chew through a wire (in a new building) did a tech bump my jumper wires in the mdf ("engineer" was in there and found dial tone out so would have checked this?) Something I'm missing completely? This whole building is pretty shoddy with other issues being handled by department of fair trading. Should this be added to the list?

8. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Had a private tech come pay me a visit today finally. I was with him the whole time and he was really helpful which was awesome. He took me into the MDF room and dialed my home number and checked all 100 pairs on the block. Couldnt find it at all. Took him up to my apartment, he plugged in his buzzer to 1 of 3 ports and checked the other 2. All good. Went back down to the MDF and found my "side B" connection. Strong signal. He checked the wiring and it is jumpered correctly. (obviously as I previously had net/phone) Sooooooo.....

Called tpg and was taken through isolation tests again to no avail. The problem is somewhere out in the big bad world then? Why on earth cant they tell where? So frustrating its been weeks now. Brutal.

9. caspian

caspian Member

your ISP needs to request an interference investigation from Telstra. this will cost them money, and is why they don't want to do it.

basic DC testing only reveals the most basic of faults.

10. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Got a call from tpg this arvo. They may send a tech out "sometime tomorrow" that I need to be available for but it seems like they want to do all the same checks again even after I told them ive had a contractor in. Hopefully hes a good bloke and actually wants to help and knows what hes doing. The MDF room is a mess with serveral tags littering the ground and the book that should have all the details for the buildings lines on the ground also with no rhyme or reason that the contractor could make out. Fingers crossed.

11. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

So a tech showed up today finally finally. Aaaaaannnnd. He walks into the mdf room with some research under his belt and looks at the vertical pairs and sees im on the wrong one instantly. One of the pairs might have come loose in the beginning and then the initial tpg tech just chucked in on any other pair. WHAT A BALL ACHE. Anyway all up and running now and going through the process of re-numeration for the last months bill. Bring it on.