Advanced USB 3 setup

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by imgod22222, Aug 13, 2020.

1. imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

Unsure which topic I should post it under:
    I've got this mobo
    https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H370M-ITXac/#FAQ
    That has USB 3.1 Gen2.The biggest loose end is whether that mobo will support displays via usb 3.1gen2.

I want to run a single cable to a dock-type thing with multiple monitors and multiple USB devices.

I'm thinking I need a USB PD injector to supply power
    Then at the dock, plug in the monitors and other USB devices as normal, with another USB PD breakout board to power the monitors. Perhaps a drawing would help illustrate what I'm trying to explain. (added below)
    But my reason for posting is: do you think it would work? I'm unclear with Thunderbolt and usb alt dp compatibility whether any dock will work with what I've got.
    illustration.png

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  2. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

That's a very interesting question... What are you actually trying to achieve?

I'm wondering why you can't use a traditional powered dock? It's even possible to get custom/short power cables in order to achieve only a single power cord. You can also get (or make pretty easily) VESA mounting for the dock and bits in order to hide stuff behind the monitor(s).

But back to your question, I still struggle to understand USB-C. Technically it's only the physical shape of the cable, not it's capabilities. You can get USB2 in USBC shape!

So it begs the question on what does what. My motherboard doesn't have and USB C type connectors, but it does have plenty of USB A connectors including USB 3.2 Gen 1 and Gen 2 Ports.
    So can I just plug in an adaptor like this one (below) and then use devices that have USB Type C connectors? ... Like the vast array of USB C docks out there? (or use a USBA - USBC cable with those docks on a USB 3.1/3.2 USB A Port?) Or is there some magic I'm missing in USBC?

upload_2020-8-13_13-23-10.png

While there are USBA based docks like this:
    https://www.mwave.com.au/product/winstar-wsug39dk3-usb30-multitask-dock-with-usb-hub-ab60772

There seems to be far far more USB C based ones.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  3. OP
    OP
    imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

I uploaded a drawing of what I'm trying to do in the OP.
    Part of it is because there is no easily accessible power socket without it being extraordinarily long.
    Part of it is because I move my Flight sim desk out of the way when I'm not using it
    And the biggest thing is convenience: I need it to be easy to set up when I want to use it, or else I'm not going to use it to stay proficient. (I fly real planes for fun)

I agree: There are plenty of USB-A to USB-C adapters on the market; however, most (if not all) have a disclaimer saying they don't support alt-dp mode.
    I'm not sure if that's necessary to get monitors to work; I'm not sure if my mobo supports it.
    It's strange, that I got a USB-A to USB-C adapter for Oculus Link. The adapter works using the official cable for Oculus Link with the Oculus Quest; however, checking back on the original product page, there is a disclaimer on the product saying that it does not support Oculus Link.
    The two monitors are 1024x768 (https://realsimgear.com/products/realsimgear-g1000-suite-for-x-plane-p3d-and-fsx) with 12V power; well within the spec of USB-PD. So I feel comfortable that I could power everything using one cable:
    1. using a USB-PD Injector to carry power through USB via USB-PD
    https://www.amazon.com/Coolgear-Delivery-Injector-Type-C-Device/dp/B075F6BD4Y
    2. Distributing power from the PD-enabled dock (Like the Dell D6000)
    https://www.dell.com/support/articl...ock-d6000-system-charging-limitations?lang=en
    3. Plugging one of these into the dock, and setting it appropriately to power the monitors
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15801

Even if I ditch the USB-PD, I want to avoid having
    Power, 2 HDMI, and USB running across the room. I'm just not sure how to tell whether my computer supports this because of all the complication of the standard

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  4. underskore

underskore Member

to make things more complicated for you - what sort of res/hz do you plan on running on the screens?
    I'm certain that my work laptop can't do the same via it's dual usb-c dock that it can when items are directly plugged into it - but I also know it wasn't an issue for me with two office spec external 2K screens

5. OP
    OP
    imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

6. underskore

underskore Member

I wouldn't worry about that res at all

7. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I see what you're trying to do now.

I think your best option is to get a good old fashioned USB 3.x dock that runs from a USB A type port along with a long USB extension cord to suit. Then get a 3M extension cord (or a power board with a long cable). Attach the powerboard to the underside of the table or the leg or wherever works. Now you're down to only two cords, not exactly what you're looking for but I think it's as simple as you're going to get and you can secure the mess of cables pretty well.

juzz86 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

I spoke with star tech and that said I could expect 60Hz from two 1024x768 displays.
    Th3_hawk, I think you're right: USB & power will be the two cords I end up using