1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for new 27" monitor?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by LeWidget, May 22, 2022.

1. LeWidget

LeWidget Member

Hi all,

My Samsung U28E850R is broken, so I'm looking for a new screen. Was hoping to get some advice on choosing a replacement. I've decided I might look at ones with the specs of;

27" IPS
    1440p
    144hz (I've always had 60hz, but 144 seems to be very common these days)
    1x HDMI, + 1x DP (minimum. Would like to connect a PS3/xbox360 to HDMI, and PC to DP)
    VISA support (not really a requirement but an arm someday would come in handy)

I've been looking around and it seems IPS have improved quite a bit, many gaming screens having IPS screens. My original budget was $300aud but it seems that may only get me entry level 27" IPS 144hz or mid-high 24" screen (which feels a little small after using 27" for some years). So I may have to boost to the $400 range as that seems to be where the better screens start around.

I've also read a bit about false specs, such as specifications advertising 1ms response time etc.. That all muddles my mind so I'm not too savvy in those areas.

Are there any that you guys recommend ? Can I expect to get something considered decent around the $400 mark or is that wishful thinking ?

EOFY is coming up, do computers stores usually have sales around this time ? I can perhaps put it off until June.

Thanks in advance :)

Regards,

2. Elmf

Elmf Member

Dell often do sales on their amazing 27" 165Hz IPS screen @ 1440p. It's basically the screen you want and has a bit of a cult following on Ozbargain etc

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/del...dgf/apd/210-axbc/monitors-monitor-accessories

I got mine at its lowest ever price of $350 but doubt that will be repeated, it's often around $400/415. Worth it.

Monitor ozbargain.com.au. It'll likely be a Dell eBay sale.

jjjc_93, rireland and nope like this.
  3. nope

nope Member

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    macktheknife likes this.
  4. Current

Current Member

if only this was a 16:10 screen :/ fuck 16:9 is shit

5. Current

Current Member

yeah, but that "entry level " is likely a TN or VA panel, both of which are shithouse. Never settle on screen quality IPS all the way.

Elmf likes this.
  6. nope

nope Member

I've had two vas for 2+ years and had nothing but a great experience
    Ips tn not my thing and those new vas are qled
    This is ips https://prismplus.com.au/collections/monitors/products/prism-pg400u-pro
    I assume your wanting to game on this and not just do office work in which case I can attest dual or single ultrawide is good for both fuck 16:10 was old hat long ago haven't seen any good panels for decades

7. Elmf

Elmf Member

Ever seen an OLED before? It will change your opinions

8. nope

nope Member

9. groovetek

groovetek Member

Did you just arrive here from 2010? :tongue:

10. rg144

rg144 Member

At that price range (~$400) nothing wrong with IPS or VA, since they're the only bloody options you have! :rolleyes:
    Each panel tech has its strengths and weaknesses. But to dismiss one over the other is utter stupidity considering a monitor is more than just the panel type.

There are very good VA panels at this price range that result in not so great monitors, because at 144Hz Model x exhibit's strange flickering; and the same can be said for good IPS panels with poor implementation on Model y's backlight uniformity.

If you care about these little things do your research on the monitor model itself with reviews from RTINGS, HUB, DisplayNinja & PCM etc; rather than listening to people gripe over IPS vs VA.

To answer your questions specifically-

If you need a 27" and 1440p, $300 is bottom end. Same same but different here, whether its an AOC or ViewSonic.

$400 opens doors, for which I'd go either
    - MSI Optix G27 (curved) or MSI Optix G273QF (flat)
    - LG Ultragear 27GN800 (Flat) or even
    - a 32" Gigabyte M32 (165Hz) <-- preferred option, great value for money vs the 27s above.

Like anything, response times are to be tested so check reviews, they are often very different than what manufacturers state both in G2G or MPRT.
    VA generally has better response times (as well as contrast ratio's vs IPS, at the expense of image quality and text clarity); but again its model specific.

nope, Mordenkainen and Elmf like this.
  11. Elmf

Elmf Member

Agreed with rg144 here, I actually have a high end VA panel (G7 27") next to the aforementioned IPS Dell 27".

The VA is just as good to my untrained eye and better at some things.. It's also a $700+ monitor though.

12. nope

nope Member

honestly ive only ever had shit screens and never had an issue

13. rg144

rg144 Member

LeWidget just noticed this and thought of this thread. Elmf actually mentioned this earlier. Dell are one of the better monitor AIB's and their customer service/warranties are prob best in the business.

Dell 27" S2721DGF 165Hz 1440p - RRP $799.
    - Dell often sells for ~$500-$550ish, currently $437.77 using DSL22 code on eBay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/394030807987

Lovely panel, lacks a little in HDR but excellent monitor overall. Review here

jjjc_93 and Elmf like this.
  14. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Further to rg144 and elmf's posts above, it will be $409 delivered on ebay tomorrow if you have ebay plus. Which I believe also may have a free trial or coupon deal for new members?

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/701674

In ozbargain we trust.

rg144 and Elmf like this.
  15. Elmf

Elmf Member

Right in between my $400-$415 price estimation :p

jjjc_93 likes this.
  16. rg144

rg144 Member

HUB just posted another good roundup of 2022's best gaming monitors yesterday:

nope likes this.
  17. Recharge

Recharge Member

I am a AOC fan for budget level, only got 1080p cause I'm old and my eyesight is shit anyway heh.
    144hz makes an amazing difference though.

18. OP
    OP
    LeWidget

LeWidget Member

Thanks for all the feedback :)

I've read a few posts about the DELL, apparently pretty popular and decent reviews. DELL prices have gone up a fair bit though, I think due to supply issues, so I may not see it for low any time soon. I'll have to keep an eye out for discount sales, maybe EOFY there might be something.

I think anything over 27" will be a bit too big for me lol. Currently sitting <1m from the screen and having limited desk space, might be an issue. Also checked out the curved screen at the local Harvey Norman, not my cup of tea :/, didn't feel right. I checked out the prism website, surprised they didn't have much flat screens, no 27" mostly larger. :/. Thank you for the suggestion though, much appreciated :)

Thanks heaps for the feedback :). One reason for choosing IPS over VA was from what I read, they had better colours (but bad contrast). Coming from a TN panel which supposedly has the worst contrast, I figure it couldn't a killer. Plus, over the years I have though about taking up photography as a hobby so a better IPS screen might be better for fiddling with photoshop if/when I do it ?

I'll have to check out those review sites and make some comparisons :).

nope likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    LeWidget

LeWidget Member

Nice, thanks for the heads up :). I checked on this screen, but last I heard DELLs prices went way up due to supplies. Didn't expect it to be on sale again so soon, and cheaper than recent sale. Will certainly look into it tonight as I've read good things about it.

My understanding with HDR(400) is it's pretty disappointing and not worth taking note of unless. Anything under HDR1000 made little improvements ?

Thanks for the video, I'll give it a watch tonight :).

nope likes this.
  20. Elmf

Elmf Member

Correct, but true hdr monitors are very very expensive. Take it off your expectation list.

nope likes this.