Advice for Upgrading to 4K Compatibility

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by NeoTiger, Jan 24, 2019.

1. NeoTiger

NeoTiger Member

Hi all,

I'd like to get a bit of advice as to how I should be upgrading my stuff to match a newly purchased 4K TV.

I currently have:
    • HTPC based on H87-PLUS motherboard and Core i5 4430 cpu, running Windows and Kodi. Media stored locally on this PC, and shared across network. Hosts mySQL library for Kodi.
    • Pioneer VSX-826 AV Receiver with 5.1 speakers.
    • Nintendo Switch
    • Playstation 4

Main usage is Kodi with predominantly 1080p files, but I guess eventually get some 4K. From what I can tell, the H87-PLUS will only support 4K graphics at 24Hz over HDMI, and my AV receiver also won't do 4K.

What's the best/affordable upgrade path for me?
    • Thinking I don't need a new receiver yet. Just plug the 4K source straight into TV, then have audio via HMDI ARC back to receiver. The switch and PS4 will be 1080p.
    1. Could add a low-profile graphics card to my HTPC to enable HDMI 2.0 and 4K/60p?
    2. Could purchase a Vero 4K+ to run Kodi, with media still stored on the old PC.
    Is my thinking on the right path? Or am I going to have issues running the old AV receiver, and should upgrade that too?

What would be the pros/cons of option 1 vs 2?

Thanks for any advice :)

2. jfat

jfat Member

Yeah get a low profile gt 1030. supports hdmi 2.0

3. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Wait for the first 1030 successor to have HDMI 2.1 since you aren't in a hurry. These should be out this year, then worry about receiver upgrade etc.

4. OP
    OP
    NeoTiger

NeoTiger Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Looks like I don't have any immediate needs to get 4K 60Hz, so probably can wait.

5. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

If you have netflix, minimum requirement is 1050 with 3GB ram for 4K HDR. I got a 1050Ti 4GB 2nd hand off forums.

6. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Xbox One S + Kodi

7. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I'd highly recommend an Nvidia Shield, it'd play everything you can throw at it.

8. AviPC

AviPC Member

I had LG 60" FHD + Panasonic VSX528 + JBL Balboa 5.1 setup.
    Purchased Samsung 75" Series 8
    Purchased Panasonic VSX 933
    Purchased Lenovo SFF PC with i5 4560 with plan to add GTX 1030 - failed.
    Purchased NUC 8th gen i3 model - now its full complete setup with 4K 10bit HDR HVEC. very low CPU usage. dont go for any low end PC with low end GPU... NUC is way better solution but it has to be 8th gen.....

9. im late

im late Member

You state you want the option to play 4K.

Will
    This be with ripped or downloading movies?

Or buying UHD HDR Blu rays from the shops and popping the DVD in a player to watch?

BIG difference on what htpc to have depending on your answer...

10. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

If your receiver and TV doesnt support eARC (they won't) then using ARC to send sound from tv to the receiver means you're only going to get a stereo signal to the AVR (normal ARC is stereo only, hence why they invented earc last year to transmit all surround formats). So enjoy your stereo sound or buy a new receiver that supports 4k etc.