Advice for Upgrading to 4K Compatibility

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by NeoTiger, Jan 24, 2019.

1. NeoTiger

NeoTiger Member

Hi all,

I'd like to get a bit of advice as to how I should be upgrading my stuff to match a newly purchased 4K TV.

I currently have:
    • HTPC based on H87-PLUS motherboard and Core i5 4430 cpu, running Windows and Kodi. Media stored locally on this PC, and shared across network. Hosts mySQL library for Kodi.
    • Pioneer VSX-826 AV Receiver with 5.1 speakers.
    • Nintendo Switch
    • Playstation 4

Main usage is Kodi with predominantly 1080p files, but I guess eventually get some 4K. From what I can tell, the H87-PLUS will only support 4K graphics at 24Hz over HDMI, and my AV receiver also won't do 4K.

What's the best/affordable upgrade path for me?
    • Thinking I don't need a new receiver yet. Just plug the 4K source straight into TV, then have audio via HMDI ARC back to receiver. The switch and PS4 will be 1080p.
    1. Could add a low-profile graphics card to my HTPC to enable HDMI 2.0 and 4K/60p?
    2. Could purchase a Vero 4K+ to run Kodi, with media still stored on the old PC.
    Is my thinking on the right path? Or am I going to have issues running the old AV receiver, and should upgrade that too?

What would be the pros/cons of option 1 vs 2?

Thanks for any advice :)

2. jfat

jfat Member

Yeah get a low profile gt 1030. supports hdmi 2.0

3. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Wait for the first 1030 successor to have HDMI 2.1 since you aren't in a hurry. These should be out this year, then worry about receiver upgrade etc.

4. OP
    OP
    NeoTiger

NeoTiger Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Looks like I don't have any immediate needs to get 4K 60Hz, so probably can wait.

5. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

If you have netflix, minimum requirement is 1050 with 3GB ram for 4K HDR. I got a 1050Ti 4GB 2nd hand off forums.

6. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Xbox One S + Kodi

7. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I'd highly recommend an Nvidia Shield, it'd play everything you can throw at it.