1. Two recommended ways to protect your account on OCAU:
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on a new TV for the Lounge (32”- 42”)

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Tigger, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Tigger

Tigger Member

Greetings,
    I was hoping I could get some help from those of you that know this industry & the goods better than me (since I know bugger all about Plasma & LCD TV’s).

I’m after a new TV for the Lounge. Something between 32” - 42” it’s going to be hooked up to our existing 1080i PVR with Duel Digital Tuners. I’m happy to go Plasma / LCD but we want to keep the price under 2k and preferably less than 1.5k. It’s going to be used mainly for TV & feed from our PVR. Other than that I will probably just hook up my laptop from time to time to play downloaded this and that. There are no plans to hook it up to an xbox 360 etc as I have my PC for games with a 22” LCD anyway. We do want bang for buck & would prefer something closer to the 42”.

I was in JB the other day and the guy there was telling me they are about to / have just started selling a new Soniq 42” unit that uses the new Samsung panel & board and that will be $1500 or less. He showed me the unit out the back (since they had removed it from display because they jumped the gun) & it “looks” ok but obviously that’s not plugged so there is no indication of quality etc.A salesman over at the good guys was trying to sell me a Phillips 42” Plasma for $1600 odd with one HDMI input but I’m assuming that both the JB & TGG work on commission & hence have an “invested” interest regardless of how genuine they may seem. (Though I’m a bit of a sucker because I tend to assume the best of people).

Note: I was previously not keen on a Plasma but from what I read etc they don’t suffer the same burn-in issues that they used to because they use a different gas? I also heard something about having to transport them upright can someone confirm / deny?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers.

Tigger

2. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

Hey bud. Sony is bringing out thier new Bravia range of LCDs. Out of those I'd probably reccomend the 32inch D series. It should be out at the end of the month.

As far as 42inch Plasmas go, You can pick up a Panasonic Th42PX7a for well under 2grand fairly easily. However, I'd wait and see how the new Hitachi Panel looks like. It's due in another two weeks as well, and I loved thier older one.

How far are back are you sitting from your TV? Is there much ambient light in the room? Do you watch much daytime TV? Are you going to be plugging in a HTPC?

3. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

- Sitting minimum of 2m back atm but it will be more like 3.5m + when we move (in a few weeks).
    - Always a bit of light in the room but its 90% nighttime TV so normally a dark room with a lamp etc.
    - Not planning on pluggin in a HTPC just my Lappy to play DL TV etc.

4. Predator

Predator Member

Might just jump in on this thread rather than create a new one.

I'm pretty much looking for the same thing, but I'm hooking up to a HTPC not a PVR. I hear that the Sony 40" V300 LCDs should be hitting stores soon, in sufficient quantity that you might be able to actually buy one. Are there any problems I should be aware of with these? Or will they be well and truely over $2k?

5. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the Panasonic has it got inbuilt speakers? As gay as they normally are (by comparison) I am after something with inbuilt speakers.

6. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

Would the 42" Acer LCD be a good option? I have channels through work that would probably allow me to pick one of these up cheap. Is 42" too big for an LCD?

7. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

yes. All TVs now come with inbuilt speakers and a pedestal stand.
    I haven't seen the Acer in life, so I'm not able to offer suggestions on how good/bad it is.
    It'll be over 2k. The older 40inch sold for closer to 3k. I'm not sure about the new one.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  8. Predator

Predator Member

Hmm, time to get saving then.

9. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

Why don't you go for the Samsung R81? You should be able to pick tat up for a lot closer to 2grand. I'll be able to give you an indication of pricing on the new sony by the weekend btw :)

10. Predator

Predator Member

Thanks for that.

11. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

Leaning more towards the 42" Plasma's atm. Bang for buck recommendations?

12. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I'd say go for either a 42inch Pana/Samsung plasma which cost approx $1850 cash.
    Plasma are a better nightime TV, typically better with DVD/SDTV, and are bigger....don't forget that most DVD movies are 2.35 OAR, IOW, a small picture, so the image will look pretty big on a 42, but small fries on a 32 LCD.

The latest model LCD's are producing excellent PQ with HDTV and Blu-ray, but unless you plan to play PC games, you'll get better overall PQ with a good plasma.

As for dling TV shows....what's the res and bitrate?....if it's approx 350mb per 42mins, then it will look terrible on both LCD and plasma.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  13. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

What about the new soniq that JB tell me is all Samsung next generation panel & "board" (42" Plasma for 1500ish coming out this week)?

14. Ulan

Ulan Member

Well it's definately nothing like the Samsung plasma as I was able to compare both side by side running the same digital channel. The image quality isn't as good as the Samsung -- more noise, less contrast, and blurier. You may be able to get it looking better if fiddling with the controls more tho..

But it's bloody cheap - $1398 at JB Gold Coast with integrated HD Tuner!

Model # is QSP420T.

15. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

I'm not a fan of Soniq gear. Heck I don't even like the C91 Samsung. The TH42PX7A Panasonic gives a better image...

16. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

My brother got the Soniq HD model last week for $1280 with 2 years warranty. Very nice screen, he loves it. I hooked my PS3 to it and it looks good :thumbup:

17. Ulan

Ulan Member

Where from? Could you make a copy of the receipt.. that's an insane deal.

And how did it look in the shop compared to the other models.. did you improve the image with the controls ?

18. OP
    OP
    Tigger

Tigger Member

Toss - I just noticed were both in / close enough to melbourne. I was wondering if you might be able to deal me a deal on the Panasonic? (PM?)

Cheers,

Tigger

19. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

Got it from Chatswood JB-Hifi

In the shop quality was same as the other panels that had the same features. With my brothers stuff conected to it looks much better though

20. The Wiz

The Wiz Member

I'd definately go with an LCD over Plasma, they are heaps better.

Most plasmas have resolutions of 852 x 480 and 1024 x 768 (that is a 4:3 resolution on a widescreen...). LCD's have a much better resolution and look a hell of a lot better than plasmas becasue they are 1366 x 768 or 1920 x 1080 for Full HD 1080P TV's.

I would highly recommend stretching your budget to get a 1080P LCD TV, Samsung or Sony.

If you are looking for under $2000 then I'd say go with the Samsung LA32R81BDX (or the LA32R71BDX which you may be able to find for slightly cheaper, only real difference is the 7th gen panel as opposed to the 8th gen in the new one). I have an LA32R71BDX myself and it is wikid.

Sony use Samsung panels in their LCD's btw, so they are very good but more expensive.

Really would advise against a plasma, they are no where near the quality of an LCD TV. ALso I would stick with a reputable brand. I dunno what the warranty etc. on those cheap brands are like.