1. Two recommended ways to protect your account on OCAU:
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on a new TV for the Lounge (32”- 42”)

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Tigger, Sep 3, 2007.

1. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'd strongly advise against listening to his opinion? lol.

2. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

There's one problem with your post...it's full of BS.

1024x768 is plenty of pixels for a 42inch screen, not to mention that unless you're sitting close enough, any extra detail rendered by the 1366 or 1920 panels will be lost, ie, the eye won't be able to resolve it.

It's actually common knowledge amongst fans of A/V that plasma is the superior flat panel under most conditions....plasma is still the reference grade panel used by most viewers testing flat panels{new Pioneers will ensure this remains as is}.

This hardly means that the latest LCD's are crap, in fact, they're quite good if you ask me, but they perform at they're best with very high signal strength sources, whereas plasma typically handle SDTV/DVD better, and also offer a very CRT like HDTV image.

Also, most plasma's are HD these days, it's rather difficult finding a SD plasma, and IMO, stupid to buy one over a HD plasma.
    Plasma have superior black levels to the competing LCD's, superior contrast ratio, and superior colour reproduction, and that all adds up to having the best PQ in "most" cases.

There are some disadvantages to plasma, ie, day time glare, 100-200hr "run in" period, possible temporary image retention and next to useless as a PC monitor{technically okay for HTPC, but not ideal for text based activities}, so if you control your lighting, follow the run in procedure and learn how to avoid image retention, you're good to go.

Like it or not, plasma is the better DVD/Foxtel TV, and in most cases, the better HDTV.....also consider that a excellent panasonic 50inch plasma is approx $3000, whereas 52in LCD is $6000+.

3. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

The new PZ700 1920x1080 Panasonic 50inch Plasma is set to come out at $5500 :)

4. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

How many people will sit close enough to get value out of their $2500 premium...:thumbdn:

5. The Wiz

The Wiz Member

Sorry you feel that way.

1024 x 768 is a 4:3 resolution on a widescreen, so the pixels are rectangular. which means the picture is stretched out. If your going to get a widescreen then a widescreen resolution would be nice.

Well I would have to disagree with plasmas being the best under most conditions because a plasma displaying a 1080i/p image isn't going to be better than a Full HD 1080P LCD TV, becasue it doesn't have the HD resolution.

You are right there a plasma is better with SDTV/DVD but that is only because SDTV/DVD have a low resolution, of 480i/p and 576i/p. Because plasmas have such a low resolution they display them well. This is the reason the Nintendo Wii looks good on a plasma and rubbish on an LCD because the Wii outputs at 480p. Chuck an XBOX 360 or PS3 on an LCD and it's a different story.

I would disagree that plasmas display DVD's better though, as I have an LCD myself with an HDMI DVD player which upscales the DVD to 720p or 1080i and it looks awesome. Even without the upscaling they look as good.

HD plasmas are only just starting to appear on the market and are well behind LCD's. I haven't seen any plasmas that are Full HD 1080P for sale in Aus, but there are plenty of LCD's that are.

Yeah I'll kinda agree with you there plasmas do have slightly better black levels, contrast and colour reproduction than LCD's. I would say all of those attributes are because LCD's don't have as high a brightness level as plasmas so the colours are for the most part more dark. However bright colours do look awesome on an LCD.

I'd have to disagree on that. Watching HD channel on an LCD looks awesome. plasmas just dont have the resolution to display HD video in all its glory.

Basically atm LCD's are better for HD content and HD consoles like the 360 and PS3. I haven't yet seen a full HD plasma yet so when I see one my opinion may change, but atm I think LCD is better than plasma for the simple reason that it supports higher resolutions and the picture quality is much better.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  6. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

No it means that the internal scaler has to adjust the picture to match the rectangular pixels. I'd like you to find me a single LCD that matches the blacks and the colour separation of the new Pioneer plasma.. or even a Panasonic one for that matter.
    Well that's soon going to be remedied isn't it.
    I'm sure it looks good. But once again, because of the backlighting issues, LCDs

The Australian market really isn't a big chunk of the world market, and the 1080p Plasmas have been out in Japan for a while now.

It's not about 'brightness' in bright colors and 'darkness' in dark colors. Its about displaying the palette accurately.

You.. do realize pretty much all broadcasting is 576p or 720p/1080i right? That we don't really see much 1080p broadcasting at all?

Once again. Not for long. These new Panasonic plasmas are out by the end of the month. Check em out when they are here. Heck, do you want to see the best TV for consumers? Check out the Pioneer Kuro range.

Talking about the limitations of particular models, and the limitations of a technology are two completely different things. Regardless, resolution isn't everything. The Pioneers, with a lower 1366x768 resolution will trump ANY tv in the market place. Yes, even the 1920x1080 resolution ones. They just have superior processing to make up for the lack of resolution, and the significantly better color accuracy makes them the best.

As I've stated numerous times here, I don't buy into that theory. From a reasonable viewing distance, of 2.5m for a 42inch screen, The difference between a 720p screen and a 1080p screen running a 1080p source is world's apart. (there are exceptions but they are few..). Oh, and that's an RRP. The 'street' price, would be significantly lower.

7. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

1080 LCD displaying blu-ray or native FTA HDTV produces outstanding PQ, but unless you're sitting close enough, you lose the ability to resolve the extra detail, thus you're left with relying on the panel's other capabilities, ie, black levels and contrast ratio, and plasma is better in that regard.

The difference between 1080 screen resolution and 768p close up isn't that significant anyway, so even if you are sitting close enough, it's not going to change the colour of your day, but more detail and a slightly more vivid PQ is evident.

There's no reason to assume that the new 1080p plasma's will look any better at typical viewing distances unless other aspects of the TV have improved, IOW, resolution is over-rated once you're already at 768.
    The new Pioneer Kuro are advertising a significant improvement in contrast ratio, and have won european awards as the best flat panel.

It doesn't make much difference if someone were to buy a 40inch 1080 LCD instead of a 42inch plasma, but street prices for 50inch 768p plasma is approx 3k, and Samsung M81 52inch is 6k.....so there no's value there, especially if you're not sitting close enough anyway.

8. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

You reckon the top dog 52inch LCD's are under 6k...:confused:

But which screens are you comparing.....the 2007 range of 1080 LCD's made a dramatic improvement in PQ over last yrs models, however, that's mainly due to factors other than resolution, ie, the Samsung M81's native and dynamic contrast ratio's.

I'm just letting people know that outstanding PQ can be had from 768p plasma, and also 768p LCD as long as you're feeding it correctly.

9. The Wiz

The Wiz Member

The aus market isn't reflective of the world market but considering we live in Australia, what ever is on sale here is all we can buy, so there isn't really much point recommending a 1080P plasma when we can't buy one here yet. Although, for the sake of your argument, once they are availible here they may very well trump LCD TV's.

I do realise that TV broadcasting is 576p, 720p and 1080i, but HD refers to all 3 of those standards in Australia, even though 576i/p isn't actually accepted as HD in other parts of the world. When I am refering to full HD I am meaning 1080i/p. I haven't got a blueray/HD DVD player so I can't comment on a 1080P signal. But 1080i TV on a 1366 x 768 LCD TV looks awesome.

I also agree about the viewing distance, as that is a very important factor. I had a look at my 1366 x 768 Samsung TV side by side with a Sony 1080P TV from a few meters away and couldn't see the difference. I'd have to say if anything the Samsung actually looked better, not being biased because I own that TV though.

Another point to make is the old belief that plasma is better for sport, because of the fast movement, than LCD. But I must say, after watching the AFL on 10 HD, my mind has changed as the motion was very good with no noticeable ghosting unless you watch it close up. The same can't be said for lower resolutions like on channel 7, but they may not be using HD cameras because the picture is really bad.

In the end it just comes down to personal preference really and my preference is towards LCD.

10. UncleRes

UncleRes (Banned or Deleted)

They are definately an improvement on the LCD panels of old, but they still don't hold a candle to Plasma for footy or racing.

I don't know where you're getting all this plasma = low resolution garbage from. You'd have to actively seek out a SD Plasma nowdays, and true HD Plasmas have been around in Australia for some time, the Pioneer range, even if they are a bit pricey.

Looking at the OP's original requirements for the panel.

- 3.5m will totally negate the worth of a 1080P screen over a 720p.
    - Dark room, not an issue for plasma.
    - No HTPC is right for plasma.

You will get a bigger panel, with better PQ if you go Plasma over LCD.

11. BrickTop

BrickTop Member

we recently got a samsung 40" M81 + Bluray player and whilst watching 1080p content is amazing, it's far from impressive when you are watching FTA TV. The pic is not great - i reckon you're better off with a lower res plasma.

To the people that say you can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720p from 2-3 metres you need glasses.

12. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Yep...the Wiz seems to be speaking on behalf of LCD, when he should be touting plasma.

13. Ulan

Ulan Member

Check this screen out -> http://www.wowwicked.com.au/layout_main/catalogue/large/page02.jpg

Conia 42" 1024x768 HD Plasma $995!

So for cheap plasmas it looks like this is the cheapest i've seen, next to the Soniq for $1300 but that has integrated HD tuner..

I may go check out the Conia on Friday.

14. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

the plasmas are :) the Hitachi 1080p's retail for $5500, and can easily be picked up for under $5000. The new Panasonic and the Samsung 1080p 50inch sets are set to retail for $5500.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007