1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on Build?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Methodd, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Methodd

Methodd Member

I'll be doing a bit of gaming, bit of photoshop, school, etc..

Mobo: ASROCK H97M-Pro4 MSY: $107
    CPU: Intel i5 4590 MSY: $217
    GPU: Gainward GTX 760 2gb $259
    Memory: 2x4 G Skill Sniper $100
    SSD:Samsung Evo 840 250gb MSY: $142
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2tb $93
    Case: Corsair Carbide 200R $82
    PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 520W HCG-520 $89
    ODD: Samsung Sata RW $18
    Total: $1,107

Thoughts? Advice? Originally it was a $1000 budget but I stretched it a bit.
    All prices from MSY.

Also can someone recommend me a cheap yet effective monitor $100-150, thanks.

2. Tacooo

Tacooo Member

If you're ever looking at SLI in the future I'd bump up that PSU to a 650W/700W model. I'd also recommend a different brand altogether. Personally Silverstone or the Corsair branded Silverstone ones would be a good choice. Try to avoid gimmicky words like "gamer" and whatnot when you're shopping. Personally I find Antec PSUs suck a bit. Most have an always-on fan which can be noisy and unnecessary.

What speed is that RAM? What clocks?

If you're getting the 2TB mainly for cold storage I'd personally recommend the WD Greens. Even when running them constantly they work like a charm. In most reviews I've read on them they've outranked all other WD drives by a decent margin in almost all tests. I have 3x 3TB drives in my machine spinning constantly and I've never had a single failure with any of them. Not to mention they're dirt cheap.
    If you're wanting to reduce your chance of data loss too I'd recommend using drives of 2TB maximum as they only contain a single platter (more platters = more chance for failure). Good choice on that.

As for the GPU if you can afford it go for another brand (EVGA, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte) as from the reviews I've read OCing on that Gainward is a PITA.

Can't recommend monitors sorry as I'm running 3x 144Hz Asus VG248QEs. Top of the line.

3. OP
    OP
    Methodd

Methodd Member

Thank you! This is the advice I'm looking for.

4. Tacooo

Tacooo Member

No problem. Tell me the full model of your RAM too and I'll give you an opinion on that too.

5. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Member

can you recommend any ram? i am making a similiar build but 770 instead

6. Tacooo

Tacooo Member

I'd recommend any Corsair or Avexir branded RAM. Personally I don't find G.Skill that good. Definitely not Kingston though. They went to shit. Anything at least 1600MHz and CL9 will be fine though.

7. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I'd avoid the Antec PSU, had one yonks ago and it just died, but hey, things change.

I use to always buy Corsair ones, but the TX V2 models (not sure if other models) had this annoying buzzing fan noise, basically where there is voltage applied to the fan, but not enough to spin it so it makes this annoying buzzing sound. The idea was that the fan shouldn't spin under light to medium loads, therefore reducing noise, but yeah, they way they implemented it meant you got this annoying buzzing noise which was louder than when the fan actually was spinning. example and thread). Anyway, I don't think they sell that model anymore, and their service is good, so either go with Corsair or Silverstone but I just wanted you to be aware.

If you can up the budget, get Seasonic :)

I wouldn't bother with SLI tbh, 500w should be enough but I guess its nice to have flexibility, but in reality, that rarely happens, you just end up buying a whole new PC after 3 years.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  8. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Power supplies these days are a minefield with name brands sourcing their PSU's from many OEM suppliers. for example Corsair use Channel Well, Seasonic, Great Wall, Chicony & Flextronics.

The Antec HCG 520 is a Seasonic S12 II platform, similar to the original Corsair HX series (HX520) it just does away with the modular cables. While it is not the latest and greatest it is a proven PSU platform.

Of the PSU's at MSY if you wanted to spend a bit more the EVGA
    SuperNOVA 750 G2 is a steal at $150 it is a Superflower OEM but is getting great reviews and is backed with a 10 year warranty

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_750/11.html
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=380

A great resource for PSU OEMs

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-brands,3762-4.html

As for memory I've got plenty of Corsair and G.Skills in my systems, both brands are perfectly fine. TBH I've had more RMA action from the Corsairs. But my advice spend the few extra $ and get the 2133 kits. In the G.Skills case it's an extra $5.

9. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yeah I got schooled on that a few weeks ago on a different thread laughing @ an Antec.

I just KISS and buy seasonic these days. Peace of mind over saving a few bucks and having to do homework lol.