Advice on getting more out of my high end rig

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Sploody, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

What it doesn't do however is give you the results for your particular chip. Guides are nice, and of course very useful as general guides, but every chip is different. Some are 'dogs', some are 'golden' and some can be trained to improve from one to the other. A 'golden' chip can become a platinum sometimes ;) The same thing happens with motherboards, to a lesser degree.

I wish you would reconsider delidding. Its the best possible thing you can do, beyond anything else. Its not just a matter of getting your temps down to an acceptable level.. lowering the temps raises the efficiency, you'll get more out of your chip in every respect.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Sploody likes this.
  2. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

ahh nice, sounds like you're getting it dialed in pretty well now. well done. :)

As for the ultra low idle clocks/speeds its a matter of using an offset or adaptive voltage instead of a purely manual setting, enabling any power saving settings in the board and leaving windows in the balanced profile.
    It's generally a pig to get things stable without letting the voltage skyrocket, or dropping so low that it crashes in a semi-loaded situation. Leaving it at a manual voltage/performance profile in windows is far easier until you work out exactly what clocks/voltage your chip likes at the higher end of the scale first.

When I first enabled those settings my chip was shooting to well over 1.5V just loading windows, so I had to set around a -0.120 offset to get it under control. Tried going a bit lower, but she crashed eventually so I think I'm almost bang on with the above settings which is pretty good considering the minimal time I've actually spent on this CPU. I reckon she has a fair bit more in it if I wanted to push hard. :)

This board has an adaptive mode as well which lets it use standard voltages, then a set voltage at turbo speeds, rather than applying the offset across the board and therefore actually undervolting the cpu at low load. Unfortunately on my apex board it works like crap and generally have to do a complete cmos reset, then manually enter every damn setting again for it to work and every time you want to adjust that adaptive voltage there after.... A painful job for another day. (assuming this crashes or something at low loads eventually, otherwise it can just stay as is)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Sploody likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Sploody

Sploody New Member

Fair enough, well if it's no issue for the CPU to stay at say 1.30v 4.9ghz all the time, then I'm just going to leave it be.

Next beast to tackle - allowing my ram to OC to 3000+MHz.
    It's 16GB (2x8Gb)Gskill F4-4266C19D-GTZR
    Ive only enabled XMP and upped mhz from 2133>2666 which is the highest the 8700k was tested on Intel's site. Didn't need to do anything but change the mult to 26.66. Passes all IBT tests and memory tests without any hiccups.

Only thing, I know my ram has some long timings, I believe 19-19-19-39 2T. So from my knowledge, high freq - long timings is comparable to lower freq - shorter timings correct?

So having this ram with long timings at 2666mhz is dumb

I've also noticed that these sticks are rated at 1.4v and there is a 3200-3600mhz sticks rated for 1.35v but again much shorter timings at say 16-16-16-36 for 3600mhz and 14-14-14-34 for the 3200mhz.

They also have a 4133mhz set at 1.4v 17-17-17-37 timings.

As seen in my previous posts, what could be the most stable/smooth/slow way to increase my ram freq and timings? I just hate having spent dumb money when I didn't have the knowledge and using this ram at slow speeds when it has some pretty good potential it seems.
    Where I see myself starting, is slowly increasing my mult and checking if it still boots/tests pass, until it hits a certain speed - would I then raise my DIMM voltage to keep increasing the freq??

Or would I be better off to get to a nice speed around that 3200-3600mhz and then reducing my timings? Because I'm pretty sure above 3200mhz I'd see no major increases to my speed etc.

Orrrr flip the sticks, get some cheaper lower freq and timings, an pocket the leftover cash?

4. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I would personally aim 4000 C16 and focus on optimise sub timings if possible as I noticed Aorus gaming 7 has terrible efficiency compare to Asus Maximus and Asrock boards at default, 4266C19 capable bdie kits should not have a hard time running at this speed as long as you do not aim tight primary timing such as 4000 16-16-16-36 1.4V for example which many kits will have trouble to run but rather 16-17-17 1.4V-1.45V. If you are trying to run them at 1.5V be sure to get a fan to blow over them as bdie lose stability if running too hot.

5. OP
    OP
    Sploody

Sploody New Member

I have a few extra vardar fans left over from the cooling loop, I can fit one more at the level of the ram, on the back of the front radiator so the top will have 1 fan at push/pull config. That's all the extra cooling I could probably get directed at the ram.

What temps are we talking before they start getting pissed off?

6. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

When they hit over 50c in my own research but if you only plan to run the kit between 1.4V-1.45V I don't think you need it really, a case with good airflow will be enough.

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If you've enabled XMP and your ram is showing 2133, without knowing your boards BIOS of course, then it would be my guess that the BIOS is actually showing half the ram speed, which in advanced mode would be normal in older boards. I see no reason why this would have changed.

Is it possible that @ 2133, you are actually already running 4266 XMP without realising? With your ram set at 2133 in BIOS, assuming you can boot into windows with that, try looking at the memory tab in CPUZ. If it shows you a ram speed of 2133, you are already at 4266 !

Here is an example of a Z270 board running @ c12-4000. Note that the memory tab is showing 2000. With the same CPUZ memory tab, what does your ram show as? If it says 2133, then XMP is doing its job and your board is actually running at 4266, not 2133.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    Sploody

Sploody New Member

Yeah I can confirm, it's showing at 1333mhz. I'll have a fiddle tonight and see what I can achieve. Cheers for the image

9. OP
    OP
    Sploody

Sploody New Member

So a couple weeks passed - Still running 4.9GHz @ 1.30VCore, 4000MHz 18-18-18-39 timings.

During gaming and everything (other than stress testing) - I have not had a single crash or freeze.
    I am noticing a solid 10-20FPS more in *sarcasm* extremely optimised games such as PUBG. and on a lighter application, Rocket League bounces between 230-250FPS.
    One thing I am seeing is during Prime95 on the Small FFT test, is my 3rd core likes to hit the 91*C mark. Now I know this is ok because there is no thermal throttling and it is just peaking at 91 (will bounce back down to 88-89) but it also shot an error within the test.

I want to delid the 8700K.

I've watched boosted_media's vid for delidding and I'll use that as the main guide for doing the process. Just bought the first house so will deal with that and then look at delidding my CPU and checking my temps again.

So yeah apart from a new house, current PC goals are reducing my CPU temps with a delid, tighten my timings to 17-17-17 or 16-16-16 whichever is stable, and finding out what V i need to hit the coveted 5.0GHz :D

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

considering your ram speed i'd say you're doing well.
    i'd be interested to know what your vccio and vccsa voltages are.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  11. dasa2

dasa2 Member

The difference would be there if timings could be maintained but 3600c15 has a similar latency to 4266c18 so your only gaining bandwidth which while it helps a few % it isn't as beneficial as lower latency.

There is some good info here on RAM overclocking and stability testing in linux so that you don't corrupt the windows install.
    ]https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-i...-intel-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread.html

Intel XTU and aida64 are good for fine tuning RAM to see what settings are helping.
    Here is some tests I ran back when I first got the system while trying to fine tune it.
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/180...0c11-2133c9-ddr4-2133c15-3000c12-4000c17.html

Maybe its time you looked at sub timings.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  12. OP
    OP
    Sploody

Sploody New Member

After an hour of Prime95 blend test, and a Very High stress IntelBurnTest, no errors, freezes, crashes of any sort
    VCCIO = 1.320-1.331V (min-max), VCCSA = 1.380-1.404V (min-max)

adamsleath likes this.
  13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

cheers for that.
    for me, i'd be a bit concerned about running the mem controller at that voltage. but i guess i'm a chicken.