Adz Pentium Pro Build

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Oct 8, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Thanks for that, I think I may have to order a copy :thumbup:

My bad, I misinterpreted what you said, I was under the impression you have a whole machine, not just the CPU :o

I've always wanted an Opteron or Athlon FX, that may be my next build :leet:

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

A buddy of mine is sending me this...

[​IMG]

Should make for a nice little upgrade :D

Edit...Seems the admins are yet to implement XenForo's image engine...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  3. bergerac

bergerac Member

Nice, good to see the old stuff kicking around. .Used to have a dual PPro 180 system back in the day, sad to say I think i threw the motherboard and processors in the bin when I moved house. Nearly worth as much now as I paid for it back then!

4. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Finally had a weekend to rip through some overdue projects, with the aforementioned Voodoo II in my hands, I set about installing it in the Pro:

PPro Voodoo II.jpg

You can sort of see in in the pic, I'm keen to see how NT4.0 plays games after all these years.

CAESAR, l_ QuadX_l and Phido like this.
  5. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look what I found hiding on top of my cupboard, been wondering where it was for months! (the P180, Sempron AM2 is just for newer CPU sizing comparison!)

adz likes this.
  6. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

l_ QuadX_l your Pro is pissed - all those wobbly legs.

adz and l_ QuadX_l like this.
  7. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Haha, yeah the CPU's been carefully :weirdo: stored in a ziplock bag for over a decade! Dug it out of storage years ago when I heard it might be worth something for its gold content. :D Never really had any plans to fire it up again, probably too late anyway as it looks wobbly as you said! :Paranoid:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  8. Bert

Bert Member

Nice! Second pc I ever owned was a Pentium Pro 200.

It had a MASSIVE 32Mb memory, and Voodoo 4Mb.

l_ QuadX_l and adz like this.
  9. ecroF

ecroF Member

Really enjoyed reading this! I can remember building a few pentium pro systems when I was doing work exp as a teenager in a computer store. As a 486 owner I always used to drool over the pentium pro's ability to run nascar racing in svga mode if you had a fast graphics card.

adz likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I've since added another 32MB of RAM, total is 96MB now. I'm thinking of trying to source some 128MB or even 64MB chips and run Windows 2000 on it, having played with Win2000 a bit lately, I've got a bit of a thing for it again.

11. Phido

Phido Member

I've actually had no problems straightening pins on a cpu, even quite bads ones. If you wanted to.. Sad most of PPro were melted down..

I get physically angry when I see CPU's advertised for gold content. Like ripping apart the mona lisa and using it for fire wood.

Don't people know after the nuclear bombs, old PC's with cpus with chunky features sizes will be the only sort that work..

Win2k is a great OS, but yeh, it will need memory. Its all 32bit so ideal for the PPro.

For a short while the Pentium Pro was the fastest CPU on the planet. Then the Mips and the Dec Alpha new gens came along. But for a while, it was, the *best*.