Aerocool Dead Silence (DS) Cube Case

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Nov 19, 2013.

1. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll be upgrading my main desktop in a couple months (24 month upgrade cycle) and as per usual I tend to start looking around for parts and reviews for my future purchase.

I am still undecided on whether or not to go mITX or mATX but in the meantime I was looking for a case and had originally settled on the BitFenix Prodigy for ITX and Silverstone TJ-08E for mATX but this appeared on PCCG's website so thought I'd look into it and it seems pretty good to me.

I quite like that you can choose from mesh or solid top and that they're both included when you purchase the case (not an add-on or separate purchase), I also like that the SSDs get their own bay in the back behind the PSU (although I'd have liked it more if they mounted vertically against a flat sheet). Apparently fans aren't great but considering the price this is being sold at, I personally don't mind spending a little extra on some better fans. The colour options are pretty decent too (I'd still likely just settle on black/white though) and I've always been a sucker for a case with a window (try as I might to say I don't care about them).

Not many reviews out for it atm from what I could see.

2. bazzel001

bazzel001 Member

This does seem like an interesting little case. I am planning on picking one of these up shortly to see if i can use it in my next build.

Its small and clean but big enough to watercool.

the big downside i see if that the front panel connectors will be plugged into an Matx board right next to the window which would look terrible.

I am hopeful that some phobya front panel extensions will fix that though :thumbup:

3. bobster

bobster Member

I am looking at this case too.

I have a Phenom M-ATX housing my computer but this case is better for watercooling.

4. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

The cables for the IO ports look to be pretty long. I'd say all you need to buy is some cable sleeving and heatshrink.

[​IMG]

5. bazzel001

bazzel001 Member

6. OP
    OP
    stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Either way lol.

The main thing I think I dislike about the case that I think really should have been addressed is the lack of a dust filter for the front intake fan.

7. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

But where does the radiator go? :confused:

8. bazzel001

bazzel001 Member

The front (180-200) rad

or the top middle like a prodigy (240mm)

its just wider than a prodigy

Oh and you can unscrew and remove the optical drive cage and the other one under it :thumbup:

9. spedwards

spedwards Member

I'm interested in this case, has anyone actually put one into use yet?

10. bobster

bobster Member

Almost ordered it yesterday

11. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Interesting... I would be tempted to build a mini-itx system. You don't really need the HDD cage, as SSD's are all you need for a little gaming rig, and they have a very small footprint..

All I am thinking, is there will be wasted space ABOVE the mobo where the massive air CPU cooler would go (190mm clearance) - maybe you could mount a res to the back wall there...

12. b00n

b00n Member

running the below pc specs in this case, some people may have issues with PSU size though mine just fit in with the full modular cables

13. spedwards

spedwards Member

I was all keen until I noticed that it only has 4 expansion slots so SLI with the use of a PCI slot is out of the question.

The BitFenix Prodigy M and Phenom M now have my interest.

14. bazzel001

bazzel001 Member

Unfortunately the prodigy M and Phenom M have the weird psu layout and a horizontal board which is great if your looking for it, but takes away from the nice layout the prodigy offers for ITX or that the aerocool offers for matx.

15. spedwards

spedwards Member

You mean vertical motherboard? I do like the horizontal layout of DS case for something a little different.

I guess I need to decide whether I really really want SLI; and if so I'll need to find some form of USB audio solution.

16. bazzel001

bazzel001 Member

yea sorry, *verticle* was the word i was looking for. I am planning to fully watercool so the horizontal layout of the ds mekes life easier for me.

its funny your in the same boat as me.

I sold my 2 680 lightnings and got a 780ti so i could keep my sound card because i hate usb audio.

17. spedwards

spedwards Member

We could be twins, except I'm not forking out for a 780Ti!

I look forward to seeing what you end up doing, remember to post pics back here if you build using the DS :thumbup:

18. paul8811

paul8811 Member

I have one of theses, got the black one, really nice case apart from I cant fit a 280x & 290 in there needs about one CM more space clearance next to the mobo. So may end up selling.

19. bazzel001

bazzel001 Member

well i am in the market for a black one soon. if its "like new" (no scratches etc) PM me :thumbup:

20. bobster

bobster Member

Have you removed the 3.5" bay?