AFL Swans vs Bombers 02/06/2007

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Heist, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Heist

Heist Member

My first sports game with the 70-200 2.8 IS, just shot from the crowd in the Brewongle Concourse area about 20 rows back. Excuse the random dark patches in corners - it's people's heads as they get up to cheer etc.

Any tips on getting the grass to look consistent on the shots? Not sure if it's entirely a white-balance problem.

For the record, had no problems getting into the ground, had the 30D, 24-70 and 70-200 in a Crumpler 7 million dollar home, so security could clearly see everything inside the bag when they checked.

C&C most welcome, as well as chat about the game - which by the way, Sydney were robbed of.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mpot

mpot Member

You didn't have any issues getting the 70-200 2.8 IS through security?
    What's the AFL policy with regards to lens length? Or does it vary from ground to ground?

Cheers,
    Martin.

3. OP
    OP
    Heist

Heist Member

Nope, no problems - they saw the white lens in the bag when I went through.

I checked prior, and it was linked in the recent AFL thread, it is stated as max focal strength (sic) of 200mm. I had a print out of the page with me just in case. This was at the SCG, I'm not sure about the MCG or othe grounds. The policy I was looking at was specific to AFL games at the SCG.

Link to Conditions of entry

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  4. young_einstein

young_einstein Member

It used to state 200mm, but now even that's been removed and they just state [something along the lines of] "no professional equipment".

I know a person who got knocked back trying to bring in a 350D and 28-135. Wouldn't let him in.

There's no proper rules anymore. It basically depends entirely on which rent-a-cop you end up getting at the gate!

5. 0oBelialo0

0oBelialo0 Member

Nice shots. Most of them could do with being more tightly cropped, but with 200mm from the stands I think they're awesome.

I was going to try my luck with my 70-300 at the Pies/Freo game on Friday night, but chickened out and left it at work. Which turned out to be a good thing, because I got pissed and didn't end up going to the game :)

Would be nice if there were some consistent rules though - wouldn't want to either turned away or have to leave my gear somewhere.

Ben

6. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Have you upped the contrast a fair bit? Just appears a little too much though. Great photos from the stands though!

I've considered trying to get in with my 70-300 IS, but also chickened out, I didn't wanna have to leave it somewhere!

P.S. Don't like Sydney, but don't think much of the Bombers either ;)

7. annandin

annandin Member

The photos are good, but the ones without a ball in them (7,10) aren't quite as good as the rest.

A matter of timing / framing I guess.

8. thunda

thunda Member

lol if your ruckman had an IQ higher than 50 you guys wouldn't have lost. Spider shouldn't have rushed that behind when the Bombers were kicking for goal after the siren. Ended up costing you guys a draw, ok so not a win but not a loss either. Was a good game though and some nice pics you got there.

9. OP
    OP
    Heist

Heist Member

That's very true, I'm not even sure what the rule is on that - the siren clearly went off while the ball was in the air, but for some reason the siren was on for longer than usual.

And to rub salt in the wounds... the goal that was clearly out of bounds on the feeding kick is now a contender for goal of the round/year?! This is the real reason we lost the game.

Got to be kidding.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  10. nux

nux Member

Opposition kept the ball in the air, so the ball is still in play. Doesn't matter if the siren has gone.

11. OP
    OP
    Heist

Heist Member

Ball then reaches a defensive player, who (stupidly) knocks it for a behind - is it still in play?

I can understand you could compare it to a goal being touched on the way in thus being a behind, but in this case it was a huge punch. Even the umps had to discuss for a while before we decided to boo them.

12. nux

nux Member

Yes, and becomes a behind. Its in the rules somewhere. The decision was correct, if a player on the same team touched it, it would not be a score.

13. young_einstein

young_einstein Member

Absolutely.

It's covered pretty clearly in the AFL Laws of the Game.

12.5.2 Football Touched in Transit
    A Behind shall still be recorded under Law 12.5.1 if the football is touched in transit by another Player, provided the field Umpire is satisfied that the scoring of the Behind was not assisted by a Player from the same Team.

---

Since nobody from Essendon did anything to assist the ball, it was still in play, and the point counted.

14. wombo

wombo Member

Essendon deserved that win! (Coming from an dons supporter)

15. emblurr

emblurr Member

That's a great shot of a mark in photo 5. I think it's Hirdy.