After constructive advice

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by xishnik, Jun 24, 2009.

1. xishnik

xishnik Member

Hi all,

For some reason I cannot work out what is missing in this shot. It has all the elements that should make this a "WOW" image, but something is pulling it down and I cannot see what it is. I hope this makes sense to you and you can find what I could have improved to push this image over the "nice" factor.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

GK

2. FB008

FB008 Member

kinda reminds me of those ladies that used to be painted on the nose of bomber aircraft :)

looks a bit overprocessed IMO, though that could be the effect you're trying to achieve. i'd probably decrease the contrast juuuuust slightly.

go easy on the vignetting, her hair starts to blend into the background when IMO it should stand out.

one other minor thing, though we shouldn't really comment on the model but i find the tattoo on her wrist distracting/out of place.

3. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

for my mind the elbows/forearms look HUGE... maybe a different perspective or different lens would help reduce this?

4. espresso

espresso Member

All of the above and the red background isn't helping the red dress to pop out either. Not saying that this is bad though, I quite like the image!

5. SakeMan

SakeMan Member

I like the shot, as some have said maybe slightly overprocessed but I don't think that really takes away from the image. Eyes are great.

What could you improve? Well I am not sure if you are going for a 'sexy' shot here, if you are the obvious thing would be to get rid of the dress whilst still staying tasteful?

6. Lukey

Lukey Member

Also mole on left shoulder might be worth cloning out, just because it looks very black due to PP and more like some heavy dust spec or something...

7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

For me its the top of her head missing...

Too much focus on the arms perhaps id love to see more of her head.. but thats just me.

8. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

same as others have said.

But i think the red coloured lighting behind her looks too bright, halo'ing too much. And that effect is not only bad, it hides hair etc so it causes other probs also.

9. Vanbar

Vanbar Member

Needs hairlight.

10. oculi

oculi Member

I agree that it has all the elements to make a great shot, just as a supermarket has all the ingredients to make a cake.

using a longer lens would help, losing the wedding ring would help. post up the original image, hard to see whats going on with all the PP.

oh and a wider crop might help too

11. OP
    OP
    xishnik

xishnik Member

Thanks for all the comments! All of it make sense and ones read goes into "that's right, here is the issue" list :) The processing isn't much past light skin smoothing and selective burning. the original image is a little underexposed and some what flattish, which was fixed with levels and curves.

So so far:

Darken the hands a little so they don't dominate the image
    Bring the hair out of the shadows
    clone out tattoo, ring and birth mark
    Wider crop
    get cake mix and warm up the oven

damn now i have food on my mind!

Will see what I can do with the original to address all this issues. thanks for all the help and keep the comments going.

GK

12. r00b0y

r00b0y Member

Everyone is being very technical but I reckon the thing holding it back is the model's expression. She just appears a bit apprehensive, it's half way between a smile & a sultry/sexy look.

Not having a dig at the model BTW - she looks fantastic & hair/makeup/wardrobe look spot on for the effect you are after.

Do you have any others from the same set with a different expression?

13. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Good call, it may just be the small sample size that makes it look odd too.

14. clonex

clonex Member

i was about to say the same thing that looks like a girl found painted on a B-25 bomber

15. methd

methd Member

+1 for the huge arms.

you need to shoot with a longer lens so u can stand further back.

16. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Well, it depends I guess. What do you want this for?
    - If its an assignment, ask the client if they like it. Its all that matters, no?
    - If its wannabe commercial ie stock, ask someone who does this for a living, they'll tell you what sells and how perfect it has to be.
    - But if you're just building a personal portfolio which I think is the case (?), I reckon try to avoid advice, unless it is from someone very likeminded. Because, processing your pic is not a technical question, it interferes with the look and feel and the aesthetic of your portfolio, which only you should decide on and keep it consistent. Your pp is an artistic thing, not so much a technical one, if you start doing like everybody else your portfolio will start looking... like everybody elses. Not good. I'm saying this coz I see sth unique in this photo, crazy contrast and all, maybe it can become a signature style you want to continue. I hope this makes some sense?

Personally I find it pretty wow as it is, I wouldnt even bother with burning the hands. I love it :thumbup:

17. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I'd have to partly agree, I don't really reckon there is much 'wrong' with that shot and I'm not one for cloning things out personally. But I do reckokn a hairlight would do wonders.

18. Athiril

Athiril Member

A down rimlight atop the shoulders I reckon :)

19. OP
    OP
    xishnik

xishnik Member

Thanks for advice guys and girls (just in case)!

I was not controlling the lighting so changing it was complicated. Hair does turn out a bit dark, and for something that started as high key shot it sure went sideways :)

I was trying to get the feel of pin-up (B52 plane decoration) shot with this, so i guess it sort of got there. I personally like the image, but had this visual "something not right" feel about it so decided to ask a fresh pair of eyes to have a look and see if they can pick it. All the comments are great and add to my knowledge of what to look for before pressing the shutter and what not to go over board with in PP.

Thanks!

GK

20. Ploddy

Ploddy Member

I would burn the face a bit - you want to emphasise this as much as possible and at the moment it looks like your vignette is dragging it down a little.

I like the strength of the vignette, it really suits the image. Just dont let the face suffer.

Great work.