1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

After free partioning software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Will S, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Will S

Will S Member

Somehow one of my drives has ended up with Windows partions on the front and Cant delete them, Windows thinks it the current backup etc partitions but they are on my M.2 drive so it wont delete them. Downloaded some free software and it deleted them until I hit the big "Tick" to applay and then they said I would have to purchase the software....SOB's

I know there is Gparted but thats installed on bootable media ( I would do it if I know how to make it work on a USB thumbdrive )

So anyone know of any decent software that is free ?

2. shredder

shredder Member

Get the Gparted ISO (the amd64 one). Get Rufus, which is ISO writing software. Use Rufus to write the Gparted ISO to your USB drive.

3. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

I ended up with tuxedo but it didnt like my graphics card and ended up with having to type instructions etc

Anyway, found a program that did the job......and I cant recall the name because I dont need it anymore

4. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

5. coathanger007

coathanger007 Member

6. dimension11

dimension11 Member

One simple thing you can do is often the Windows Setup Utility will let you delete or create partitions that the actual system won't.
    I've used Easeus before without any issue. Or just any bootable Linux should come with a GUI version of GTParted which you can often use.
    If it's on a drive with data I would make a backup of it with a free disk cloning utility first before messing with any of the partitions (especially ones that contain valuable information), Eg. Clonezilla, and in that case I often just end up wiping the drive and just writing the partitions back from the backup image, for extra integrity.

7. pivot

pivot Member

I use MiniTool Partition Wizard. It can delete all partitions and re-format in one go. You can also pay and get some extra features, but the free version is fine for basic stuff.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019