Age of Beige

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by CSI Guy, Dec 17, 2018.

?

Do you miss the "Age of Beige"?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Hell no

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. broccoli

broccoli Member

Except for the sheeple who allowed themselves to be lured into Windows 10 :D

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

So in summary, all of it is easier now, except not all of it is easier now. Got it.

My schadenfreude is off the charts in that thread. Microsoft boiled the frog for decades, and then suddenly a generation of users cracked it all at the last minute, squealing "omg how did it all go so wrong?". Yeah, you can all thank yourselves for allowing it to get that far. I have no sympathy. I'm playing the world's smallest open source violin.

Even funnier is when that's pointed out in-thread, everyone gets really upset at reality being thrust in their face. michael_jackson_popcorn.gif

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  3. broccoli

broccoli Member

well, it's easier for ME, sod everyone else. :D

4. elvis

I dunno, man. My Commodore 64 doesn't update every 3 months and download a bunch of shit I don't want.

And it runs shit just as well today as it did 25 years ago, no slowdown, no hours of updates needed, no driver bullshit.

All this extra power and "ease of use", and it seems we spend more time fixing computers than using them. #PCMasterRace

Vanne and adz like this.
  5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Nor does my win7 w/o internet. Peace, glorious peace.

The one thing that I think is better now (from an operator's perspective) is that copying/moving doesn't crap itself if you do something else at the same time and you can still use the computer.

6. elvis

So that's not the machine you use OCAU from then?

7. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol gone are my days of tweaking every living ounce of performance out of my win10 boxes. I just have them for Garden Warfare 2 for the kids (network play) and to check my emails... Which I can do on my phone..

Used to care about why on earth people need a 5ghz machine to do email and my other pet hate, social media.. the mind boggles..

"Yeah I need a new 5ghz computer cos Facebook goes really slow on my 3 megagiga one." ..kill me now please... :/.

These days that doesn't wind me up anymore, I just blatantly ignore it and go on in my peacefull ignorant bliss, and think about how awesome the AGP port really is. ;)

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

nopey nope. My internet computer is separate.

elvis likes this.
  9. shredder

shredder Member

The internet brought all these update issues, among other things.

To use a gross maths analogy, the internet created a potential factorial("!") of all possible issues (both technical and human), by networking them all together, and hitting the Slow Motion Blend button.

The Cylons are happy, at least!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  10. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Each time I dismantled an old computer I would remove all the visible screws from the drive bay and try pulling out the drives, while saying to myself, 'I wonder if the original builder of this PC was thorough or not? If the drives come out, no they weren't, if the drives didn't come out, yes they were and out comes the mobo tray to get at those last few screws!

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Totally :lol:

JSmith

12. grommet80

grommet80 Member

They were 80 wire cables not 80 pin. The extra 40 wires were basically insulators connected to ground to reduce crosstalk so speed could be increased. They were needed for UDMA 66 and above. Still it was about then that rounded PATA cables came out which helped a lot.

I have so many scars on my hands from working on cheap AT and ATX minitowers that were full of sharp edges and cramped spaces. There's some nostalgia for the good bits but a lot of memories of pain and frustration too.

13. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

My bad, have to excuse the typo. :) Yes can't be 80 pin as IDE is only 40 pin!

14. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

I dont miss the beige cases are they are pretty ugly as hell! But it does bring back memories of the first computers ive owned.

I quite enjoy those of mod the old beige cases to be "sleepers" with the internals being high end, and the outside looking dull looking.

15. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Anyone else have a Total Peripherals rig?

They’ve come a long way.