Ageia PhysX results online

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by eva2000, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

Yea, it appears to be a single slot card.

But that's another issue for me as well. I don't want HSFs on any of my devices anymore, so I'll also wait until they develop a passive model.

My next video card upgrade later this year will be a 7600gs for that fact, just a passive heatsink, and next week I'm getting a 6200 to tide me over until I get the gs, and it's passive cooled too. My GF4 ti4200 that I've had since 2002 is finally getting an upgrade, and I'm saying fuck off to the extra fan. :)

2. sandeep

sandeep Member

As far as future is concerned, there are speculations that when Quad Core CPU will come out, they will do all the physics calculations and will produce better results due to 64bit precision and the high speed offered by hypertransport....I also heard that CPU offers more accuracy than a physics processor. :tongue:

Well wonder what does DirectX 10 physics card has to offer!

3. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

K, for those that just dont seem to understand what the fuss is about. I direct you to the Cell Factor movie. The vid is about 400mb and goes for about 4 mins. Once you see it you get the impression of what it can do. There is no way what is happening in that vid could be done at an acceptable rate if it was processed by the cpu alone. The fabric tearing is great, and there is free flowing fluids (they aren't great, but they are a major step up from shitty sprites or particles), and the mass amounts of object interation.

It all adds up to increased levels of immersion. 3d accellerators weren't that special when they came out. Look at it now, we all need one. This is the next step. We are limited by current technology in terms of physics, so somebody has made a solution that can boost it. It means that games aren't crippled when they try to process mass amounts of interaction, as opposed to being crippled. Play half-life 2, grab every object in a map, and pile it together and lob a grenade at it, im sure you will see some stuttering...

In terms of sync'ing, HL2:Dm uses server sync'ed physics, it explains why its next to unplayable on dialup. F.E.A.R. uses client side physics for object interation in MP, because its cosmetic and doesn't effect gameplay. This will create much more data traffic for games for object data.

I pose the next question to you all, most of you have played Red Faction. Imagine GeoMod tech, but using the PhysX processor... it opens doors to new levels of gameplay.

4. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

im surprised no ones mentioned the tests run from those 2 links eva dutifully provided

Straight out of Fuggers post:

Ageia Physx, first impressions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test system Conroe @ 2.66Ghz 333FSB 4MB dual core
    PCMark 2005 w/ Physx test 240FPS with Ageia installed
    Big Bang 9FPS

Test system Conroe @ 2.13Ghz 266FSB
    PCMark 2005 w/ Physx 225FPS
    Big Bang 4FPS

Test system Conrow @ 2.66Ghz 333FSB
    No Physx installed 270FPS
    Big bang 14FPS

Current #1 PCMark2005 is at 217FPS with quad cores
    Current #2 PcMark2005 is a 4.9Ghz Presler with 240FPS

I will test on Presler to see scaling on platform. Waiting for feedback from Ageia as well.

Not impressed so far, an AMD FX with single threading would be able to get a boost from this card now. Next generation Intel core technology takes a performance hit. Sub 5Ghz Preslers would also see a small increase in performance in a handful of games.

now all of a sudden ghost recon demo is the hottest thing since oblivion...
    no increase in any benchmarks either so i guess 3d07 will include a physics test which accounts for 20% of the score so that ageia can prove it increases something...

5. proffesso

proffesso Member

well thats what you would expect? ageia hasnt stated faster frame rates to my knowledge, only shitloads better physics processing...so unless your game has 'kicks ass on ageia' on the box...you wont see sweet fa

6. gotheb1ues

gotheb1ues (Banned or Deleted)

well if BFG are charging $500 then most other brands will be about $350 as bfg normal charge 20-30% more for their gaming cards.

7. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

Ok so heres my big question. Its about a game on the list. Fritz Chess 9???? How much bloody physics does a game of chess need?????
    I)ickie

8. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

Realistic Checkmate simulations!
    OMG that king falling over looks real!
    Or maybe your able to rage it and throw the board across the room?

9. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

Problem with Ageia and a similar thing to the GeoMod (which was friggin awesome) means it'll be offline play only. For anything online, is just way too much data for what our net conections can handle. Also, it then makes it mandatory for the Physx card to be there. Which sux for everyone who can't afford one

10. wastegate

wastegate Member

Won't be long (1 or 2 generations) for 3D cards to have this included on the GPU. Every card that has had a proprioty support (where you have to have a certain card for certain visual treats etc think Glide, PowerVR etc) has failed in the long run. For this reason I won't buy one. It will be nice for a couple of generations but in the end it will be overtaken by a standard.

11. Gus the Mus

Gus the Mus Member

I only just read this thread today as I got a bit of a shock last night when I installed GRAW & it installed the Ageia PhysX drivers at the end of the installation. I was thinking what the hell, I'd heard these things were on the way but didn't realise they're out yet! Don't think I'll be able to plug one into the Dell 9400 lappie anyhow!

12. ZoLi

ZoLi Member

It makes sense that you dont get an increase in framerate, it isnt a video accelerator it's a Physics Processor, if anything the framerate will go down due to the extra particles/polygons the Video Card has to render. Sure everybody wants to see bigger/Better explosions but what expence?

This is all good if you have a super wiz bang computer.
    Im sure the latest CPU with SLI cards and an Ageia Physics card would be great but probably not a smart investment for people with mid range systems.

I would personally wait to see how advantages this card will be.

13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

It wont happen immediately. For the moment I think you going to see MP being stripped down versions of single player. Eventually a game doing a Quake 3 but with the physX (as in you can't play without it) will come along, but I dont think we will see that for a few years.

14. Bladen

Bladen Member

If you apply the exact same external forces to the ball it WILL fall and bounce the exact same way every time.

It is the variables that you cannot control that make the way it bounces appear to be random - the movement of the human body (more specifically not being able to reproduce movements perfectly, like some kind of machine), variations in air current and viscosity, variations in earths gravitational field, ect.

Controlling all these variables is and probably always will be beyond us. Unless maybe you got a perfectly built machine to bounce an indestructable, perfectly elastic ball on a planet with a stable/solid core (and gravitational field) in a vacuum, then yeah its a bit tricky.

15. seamer

seamer Member

It may be that the PhsyX cards are being held back by games that are still single-threaded too (just about all games known to mankind, it seems).

I play City of Villains/Heroes daily, a game claiming support for PhsyX already. The game does have a software renderer for Ageia stuff, but I havent noticed the difference yet (software mode may be limited, harder to see the stuff chosen for motion). I'm pretty much sold on the idea of what the card will do for my chosen game. As its been described on the offical CoX forums, using a power near trees will knock leaves off the tree. Not just a slapdash 'drop all leaves' routine, but a true detection of what power is being done, ice/fire/wind etc and applying it in real time to the surroundings. Leaves fall, newspaper is trashed and thrown into the air, cars blow up and scatter shards of material. Even the new Mayhem Missions about to be released encourage full destruction of instanced zones, I have a belief PhysX will help in this greatly.

I also hope folding@home can be classed as a scientific project and will be compatible with this ;)

16. RoboBust

RoboBust Member

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen this vid. It's by far the best yet, this game just keeps looking sweeter and sweeter!

17. Looagerbalsak

Looagerbalsak Member

No even online play will use it - but you will see what others see.

Basically the PPU will take any small physics type effects away from the CPU and GPU - freeing them up a little. So one person without a PPU will have those things done as usual, one person with a PPU will have them done by it. Both will see the same thing though. Single player stuff will be totally different though.

This won't be seen for a while though (until supported in any particular game) and will be useless in current online games

18. Punk

Punk Member

Dont know if anyone else has posted this.
    But i got bored so i went to the dell site and was looking around at the desktops and they seem to be offering these in there desktops for $366.30

19. TOX

TOX Member

I saw this the other day, someone told me about it

The thing is Dell can cushion the price with other items, as far as I was able to tell this is below what shops buy them for.

You also cant buy by itself.

Looking at it more $499 isn't to bad a price seen its not something that will need to be upgraded every 3 - 6 months like high end VGA cards.

20. 3t3rna1

3t3rna1 Member

What I'd like to know is if they can offload the physics to a PCI card... why can't they offload it onto a second CPU?

The physics demo that comes with the AGEIA driver runs fluently without the card. I'm not sure whether the demo is scaled down or not because I don't have the card... but surely if they can cram physics down the PCI bus (if its PCIe then my bad) then a CPU could do an equally decent job.

Did anyone by chance see the article a while ago about an acceleration processor (FPGA I think) that interfaced directly to opterons using Hypertransport?
    With external hypertransport coming in next gen opterons... I'm hoping this heads where I'm thinking it might :D

http://www.ageia.com/products/drivers.html