1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AHCI Problem with Windows Install, AHCI files won't copy

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Whisper, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Whisper

Whisper Member

The problem, Windows Setup cannot copy file: iaStor.sys or any others required for the Intel(R) ICH8R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R).

In BIOS --> Inetergrate Peripherals set:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to AHCI
    Onboad SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode AHCI

Boot computer to CD to start Windows Installation

Press F6 to install additional 3rd party storage devices
    Put floppy in that contains device drivers
    Press S for Specify Addition Device
    Select Intel(R) ICH8R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
    Setup loads iaStor.sys
    Setup says it will load support for following mass storage device(s): Intel(R) ICH8R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
    Windows runs through more setup routine
    Windows allows me to delete/create/format partions of drive 76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on iaStor [MBR]
    Windows successfully fully formats drives with NTFS file system 76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on iaStor [MBR]

After formatting setup says:

Setup cannot copy the file: iaStor.sys

The file is there obviously as I just used it previously to have Windows Setup recognise the drive at all.

I'm completely stuck now since this makes no sense at all for the floppy disk to work at one point of the install and then to fail miserably at another point.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a Gigabyte 965P-DS3P (revision 3.3) Motherboard and a E6600

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  2. FLB

FLB Member

Try integrate the drivers directly into the Windows CD with Nlite, thats what I used here mainly due to no floppy drive and it works fine, took all of 10 minutes to make a new iso and burn it pretty much.

3. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Thats exactly what I am going to have to try :(

But I have to get a working Windows Install on my PC 1st, as it has the DVD Burner (I'm on my laptop here) to install nLite so I can create the disk just to see what happens.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  4. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Fucken yay

Well thats the only way to get it to work.

I have nfi why it would allow the drivers to be used once from floppy, but refuse to copy when actually used to install for the Operating System.

I've wasted most of the afternoon trying to solve, then work my way around this problem.

5. Skitza

Skitza Member

Similar problem with the new T60 Laptop's, XP won't see the drive in AHCI mode, set it to compatibility mode, install Windows, install Intel Matrix Drivers, reboot, change back to AHCI mode, let it find new hardware, all done :)

6. RodneyJM

RodneyJM (Banned or Deleted)

I had exactly the same problem too with ICH8R controller and Maxtor 300GB Sata2 NCQ drive. At first, I thought maybe my floppy is not copying the files properly or something, in the end I just thought "Fack it!" I'm getting a dedicated hardware raid controller... and so far haven't looked back...:p

7. jlccarv

jlccarv Member

intel matrix software wont install in xp pro with p5b deluxe. error msg says something about my system not meeting minimun requirements for the software...??

8. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

My problem wasn't with the drives, the drives were fine, it was this really retarded problem with Windows install refusing to copy the files off the floppy during install, but it would read the files on the floppy so it would detect the controller and the HDD's correctly. Crazy shit.

You have to have a ICH8R controller, AND you must have AHCI enabled in BIOS, AND you must have installed Window using AHCI drivers for the ICH8R controller, otherwise the Intel Matrix software will tell you to get stuffed every time!