"Ai" HD textures

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Apr 3, 2019.

1. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Ive seen AI upscaling on old videos. Some of it is really incredible. Im sure it'd work better on games than video.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11297050/tay-microsoft-chatbot-racist

Diversity is key for AI. :lol:

I'm not really a fan of upscaling older 2D games to be honest. Maybe if they were "high res" to begin with, but pixel art stuff I think can be left that way.

3D is another story. Upscaling the textures offline, then re-injecting them back into the 3D engine and rendering the game at higher res, I feel, has much more benefit.

Flamin Joe and greencamel65 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

but I liked Tay!

agree, leave 2D alone (sure they won't but whatever) 3D textures - have at it.

4. okclock123

okclock123 Member

I agree about pixel art, but not scanned imagery. Ingame scans could benefit from an upscale. A lot of DOS adventure games used scanned acrylic paintings as backgrounds, also Dune 2 briefings, Xcom screens, etc. Very distinct style reflective of a decade.

5. elvis

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant using them as a source for the AI training data itself.

Using them as the thing that gets scanned and upscaled, sure, that could work.

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I wonder if this will be one of the first Ai upscaled games for commercial release? The frame interpolation and smoothing up to 60 i'm either way with i don't think it really works. I think there's more work to do honestly.

Vanne likes this.
  7. elvis

Did they announce that somewhere?

Like all tech, this will take time. What we're seeing here in this thread will look like the efforts of an infant in 5 years. Such is the constant march of progress.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member