Ain't misbehavin' - No it is. WD RED issue

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by callan, May 18, 2017.

1. callan

callan Member

I bought 2 4TB WD Reds last year as a matched pair for my testbed NAS. (an old Synology DS212+. (RAID1)

The first drive failed 4 months in - mounting sector reallocations. I wiped what I could before it carked it and got it replaced under an RMA. Replacement works fine. I get it: drives fail, got it replaced - all cool. That's why we have RAID.

It's stablemate is now giving me grief - but this is where it gets weird.
    Synology DSM was reporting S.M.A.R.T. errors, and then it failed to boot after a minor DSM update. I ended up pulling the second drive and the server booted just fine.
    I threw it in a Win7PC and interrogated the S.M.A.R.T. info on the drive. Perfectly clean.
    Then I Zeroed out the drive, returned it to the server and rebuilt the mirror.
    The mirror came up, but:

[​IMG]

:sick:

Interrogating the S.M.A.R.T. info from within DSM came up clean :confused::confused:

Pull it out, whack it in the PC, Zero it out, then interrogate it with passmark's Disckcheckup.

Code:
    SMART ATTRIBUTES:
     ID	Description                         	Status    	Value     	Worst     	Threshold 	Raw Value 	TEC                 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      1	Raw Read Error Rate                 	OK        	200       	200       	51        	0         	N/A                 
      3	Spin Up Time                        	OK        	233       	232       	21        	3333      	N/A                 
      4	Start/Stop Count                    	OK        	100       	100       	0         	703       	N/A                 
      5	Reallocated Sector Count            	OK        	200       	200       	140       	0         	N/A                 
      7	Seek Error Rate                     	OK        	100       	253       	0         	0         	N/A                 
      9	Power On Time                       	OK        	85        	85        	0         	11470     	N/A                 
     10	Spin Retry Count                    	OK        	100       	100       	0         	0         	N/A                 
     11	Calibration Retry Count             	OK        	100       	100       	0         	0         	N/A                 
     12	Power Cycle Count                   	OK        	100       	100       	0         	424       	N/A                 
    192	Power off Retract Count             	OK        	200       	200       	0         	26        	N/A                 
    193	Load Cycle Count                    	OK        	200       	200       	0         	676       	N/A                 
    194	Temperature                         	OK        	114       	102       	0         	36 C      	N/A                 
    196	Reallocation Event Count            	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A                 
    197	Current Pending Sector Count        	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A                 
    198	Uncorrectable Sector Count          	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A                 
    199	UltraDMA CRC Error Count            	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A                 
    200	Write Error Count                   	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A 

Status is reported as OK

WTF is going on here? Would I have an RMA rejected? It's clearly suspect, and theres no point in returning it to the server..

Callan

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

WD Data Life Guard will test the drive, then if it detects any failure it will auto generate the RMA form for you (afaik).
    Why people continue to use third party SMART diagnostic is beyond me as it's been a long time since the manufacturers have been using propriety data values.

3. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

WD Data lifeguard says the drive doesn't exist. (No compatible drives found) I tried that first.

Callan

4. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

And it gets even weirder. I dropped a SATA3 card in and data lifeguard now finds it happily. And reports that the SMART analysis is "OK".
    Run a full SMART test - takes 9.5 hours. FAIL (undefined media errors). Click on OK and it reports "Good" again.:confused::confused:

BUT..
    When I go to review the test log for the drive based on it's serial number WD Data Lifeguard brings up the fucking logs of the FIRST drive that failed and I tested last year, not the one I just tested (with a completely different serial number:mad::mad:

I'm fucking over it. It shouldn't be this hard. this damn drive is haunted.

Callan

5. peter10001

peter10001 Member

Try with a livecd from linux.
    Xubuntu livecd,
    Boot from cd/usb,
    then install program "disks", then you can read smart,
    and also do a long test of the hard disk.

The test you did, it fail, is not good, there is something wrong, try to do more testing.
    If you wipe the disk in the nas, what happens then?

6. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

At this stage it's safe to assume it's fubared - I sure-as-hell can't trust it.

I just want to get enough together to have a successful RMA. That the WD utility is giving me bullshit is getting very annoying.

Callan

7. peter10001

peter10001 Member

Try to get a rapport of the WD utility.
    That the WD utility fails is not good.

You could try another pc,
    different connectors, power and data.

8. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Try changing motherboard BIOS to IDE mode (assuming it's currently AHCI)

9. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

Stuff it. SMART stuff still reports fine, but I've just printed this out and RMA'd it. I'm happy to argue the toss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Callan

10. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Its because you sign your own stupid posts Callan. Your username is RIGHT THERE.

Im not in a good mood.

11. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

And the RA processed inside a week:thumbup: Good work, Scorptec!
    Drive reinstalled, RAID1 re-established.

Umm..

Callan:lol:

12. shredder

shredder Member

Don't get smart or he'll bring back the "Ooroo". :Paranoid:

13. power

power Member

always make sure they fail MANUFACTURERS diagnostics, then a couple of whacks on the desk for good measure.

14. voltare1

voltare1 Member

Mechanical disk's are dodgy at best and completely vulnerable the rest of the time.

Especially if they're the newer of the batch.

Wait 3-6 mth before getting them or ensure your backups are current.

Recently the Seagate 1000gb drives have proven failures above regular and it's related to firmware.

Always hold off until others have tested new drive versions.

15. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

They still makes drives that small? How long has it been since the SG firmware bug?

16. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I had a Synology NAS report issues with a Red the other week and developed a couple of bad sectors after 385 days, but S.M.A.R.T test said everything was fine.
    Took it back to the supplier (Computer Alliance) who tested it on the bench and supplied a warranty (3 years) replacement no questions asked.

17. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

AAAnd ANOTHER WD RED 4TB disk - much older (23,000 Power on hours) in my DS415+ started logging errors - that's 3 out of 6 that I've purchased. DSM had to map them out and recover from RAID5 parity this time. DSM is logging it as a warning, not failure but I tire of this.

With the nasty timebomb my 415+ has become with the Intel C2000 processor defect I'm considering an upgrade to something that has hardware transcoding, dropping PLEX on it and tossing enough HGST disks in it to have hotspare capability. Then I'll put this one out to pasture and sell off my 212+. Had it with these drives.

Callan

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  18. davros123

davros123 Member

That's a pain. Were they all one batch? (Ie seq. serial numbers).

My mate has has now had 5 of his 10 drives go south - one every few months (all replaced under warranty). All were bought at the same time (5TB). He's on z2, so no loss but Very worrying all the same.

I'm still rocking 10 x 3TB HGST's from 2011 at preflood price of $140ea. Rare occasion that something worked out well in my life! I really need to swap them out as they are well past their use by date but what to buy that will as reliable?

19. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

The first two that failed were purchased at the same time and, presumably were from the same batch. They failed early: within about 9 months of purchase.
    This latest one is well over 2 years old and had until now, like it's 3 bretheren (it's in a 4 disk array) been error free. These errors came up during a monthly array scrub, which just goes to show that the price of peace(of mind) is eternal vigilance - with apologies to John Curran :p

Callan

20. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

I still have 2TB Hitachi Coolspins bought for $89 pre Thai floods rocking along without issue. I have bought newer drives since (three), two of them have been RMA'd...