AIO/Laptop power brick (Delta ADP-230EB T) specific model or generic ok?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Bold Eagle, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:39 PM.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

In another thread I have an AIO that shows no sign of power (or any sign of life);
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...-brick-adp-230eb-t-gone-need-to-test.1253366/

It is a MSI AG240 6QE-035AU AllinOne i7 6700;
    https://us.msi.com/All-in-One-PC/Gaming-24T-6QE/Overview

It has a PSU Brick;
    Delta Electronics Inc.
    Model: ADP-230EB T
    N17908 U1000EA
    S/N: M08W61E00PW

Can I just search for a Model: ADP-230EB T power brick - or does it have to be specifically be a Delta for a MSI AG240 6QE (AIO)? That is do I need to find a very specific PSU brick for that unit or can I find a generic one that matches the parameters of a ADP-230EB T and try that? I am finding it a bit of a rabbit hole the AIO PSU brick when compared to a PC - just plug most PSU's in and away you go.

The unit has the same parameters as this example of what is on the PSU brick - the S/N is different;
    PSU Brick (2).jpg

This AIO has been troublesome from the start (but so is the user a massive n00b) and I don't want to throw good money after bad with this system so any advice on the PSU Brick would be greatly appreciated.

All he wants to do is get it working again isolate any issues (if more than the PSU), reinstall OS and sell it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 6:51 PM
  2. slavewone

slavewone Member

Delta is the manufacturer and the serial should be unique????

I’d have thought matching the output of 19.5v and the 11.8A plus the right plug (although you could cannibalise the old unit) would be enough.

Searching the model should be even better.

3. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

That is what I am trying to clarify if the unit had the parameters 'AC Adapter - 230W 19.5V 11.8A' do the job?

4. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Yes. Simple answer.

And a multi-output adaptor with the correct tip attached will also work. Tip determines what output voltage is used with those. 12v ciggie outlet adaptors we use in our caravan work fine with basically any laptop, as long as we have the correct tip to use with that laptop. Wife's lappie is an Asus. Mine is an Acer. Same multi-adaptor does both,albeit with a different tip to suit each of them. You can get 240v multi-adaptors for laptops too.

5. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Bold Eagle likes this.
  6. slavewone

slavewone Member

You’d need to check the multi adapters do serious watts at 19.5v though, I’m sure there is a reason it’s asking 11.8A or 230W.

7. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

The wattage rating is what they're capable of coping with, not what they output continually. Wattage actually used is what the appliance draws.

Laptops are generally pretty low power draw devices, hence no real need for the dedicated power brick to be particularly robust. Multi-adaptor can also handle pretty hefty laptops, and it'd need to be a gaming behemoth to warrant the purchase of a 150W model rather than the more common 90W models.

8. slavewone

slavewone Member

At 24”, it’s not exactly a laptop though

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 11:25 PM
  9. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

That shouldn't matter, considering it's operating from a laptop power supply. Amperage output rating needs to match or exceed what the appliance draws, because the appliance will only draw what it needs to.

10. slavewone

slavewone Member

There is a lot of screen plus pc to power with 90w though. 150w is a much better point, but a multi voltage unit is surely going to cost more than he can get an identically species psu for.

The JC 144w does 19.5v and 7A. It’s regulated and costs $119. The 90w is cheaper, but google tells me I can buy the ADP-230EB approaching half the cost of the 144w unit.

11. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Edit: Whoops. Didn't realise how much power that AIO unit can draw. Doubtful that a multi-purpose adaptor would deliver that much, so a suitable unit would need to be sourced which delivered correct voltage and adequate amps.

My bad.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 12:05 AM
  12. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

13. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Kinda redundant to insist upon both. Volts/watts/amps operate in accordance with a specific formula. 19.5 volts and 11.8 Amps means 230 watts can be delivered.

14. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I honestly wouldn't know and hence the thread - but the general gist is if I can find a PSU Brick delivering that it should be able to power the unit as long as there is the correct adapter?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 1:42 PM
  15. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Yep. It's just electricity. Your appliance, whatever it may be, simply needs correct volts and enough amps/watts oomph to drive it :D

16. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Delta is a generic Manufacturer so unlikely that you'd need to find that specific make/model. Unless the connector itself is like some of the HP ones, as in it's got three contact surfaces in it which the HP device uses one of them as part of it's "genuine HP-Compliant plugpack" detection/operation Trap For Young Players.

Apart from that nasty you'll need to match the 19-odd volts (durr...), and either match of even exceed the 11-odd amps output rating - to start with Manufacturers "overate" their power requirements for Worst Case Scenario plus a little bit for "Just In Case"/peak drain etc.

I've got a 17" Asus G73 gaming lappy here that has a 19 volt 7-odd amp power pack, if I need to charge the batteries in it whilst trying to use it at the same time then it won't work if I don't use a 7-odd amp plugpack. Pull the battery pack out and it's happy running on a plugpack rated down at around 3 to 4 amps.

Catweazle likes this.
  17. desertstalker

desertstalker Member

This is not a laptop, but an all in one PC, so likely if you go to low on the PSU it will just cut off under load (or fry/overheat the PSU). OP, get one with the at 19.5V 12A top be sure of stability.

18. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It has become clear; Watts = Amp x Volts (W = A x V);
    https://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Wattage

So as long as the bricks has the correct A and V then t will produce that wattage, also considering it needs to have the same type of jack.

Catweazle likes this.
  19. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

Same V, same or higher A.

Bold Eagle and Catweazle like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM