AIO vs High end air 2020

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Jazper, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Jazper

Jazper Member

I’ve had my D15 for going on 6 years now and been looking for alternatives, consensus out there seems to say there isn’t much better.

360mm AIO seem to perform a fraction (5-9 degrees) better, just.

280mm AIOs seem to be on par

What are people’s thoughts?

2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

360 or don't bother. was my conclusion.

connico likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Jazper

Jazper Member

Yeah and for that I need a new case, well when I can afford it I will shift. Wouldn’t mind dropping the noise a bit

4. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

i.e use a 360mm AIO, or it isn't worth it? Even 240mm?

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

not to me. i would only do it for appreciably better temps

then there's pump noise and lifespan. with a dumb sink all i need is a replacement fan. and i have a spare - two came with the nhd15 :p and i only need one.

if you want less bulk etc. there's a reason for other aio's

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    the_antipop likes this.
  6. miicah

miicah Member

7. OP
    OP
    Jazper

Jazper Member

8. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

and

There are plenty to pick from nowadays but you can't go wrong with the D15 except from what I've read if you're going the 10900K route because it apparently really needs water for that but otherwise you have the new Corsair A500 which has a nice feature where you can slide either of the fans up a bit if they are not clearing the RAM sticks or anything else for that matter and this is rated for 250 watts, however, probably the best air cooler is the Thermalright Silver Arrow T8 which is rated for 320 watts but availability is a bit of a problem although it is available at Amazon Australia.

9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

that t8 looks convincing. 8 heatpipes per fin stack, versus 6 on the d15

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?296800-Thermalright-Silver-Arrow-T8
    my old forum. hardly anyone visits it anymore. :( used to be busy as. pre 2012.
    according to the review it can achieve on par performance to the d15. and near silent.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  10. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

11. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I am pretty sure T8 is like Thermalright' NH D15S, silver arrow IBE might be what you want but there is a lack of reviews of IBE against D15 and assassin 3.

TBH if you strap 3x ty143 to your NH D15 you might be able to squeeze more performance if dont mind vacum cleaner noise in your PC.

A500 if forgettable, how dare they charge customer Noctua pricings with HDT and no reflow soldered fins. Innovative fan mount, I thought MSI frozr XL already got them and it is made by Thermalright.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  12. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

NZXTs X53 and x63 both compete well with the Noctua NH-D15.

13. 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 Member

If I had my time again, I'd avoid high end coolers like the plague. Just had too many older boards have issues with heavy heat sinks like visible warpage and one failing. I'm sure the mounting hardware on newer sockets with backplates reduce the warpage, I was never comfortable handing ~1 kg @ 5 cm off the board. Lots of LAN Party and shipping always made me sweat.

Never had an AIO as I've been laptops only for a long time, but I feel if I went a gaming PC again it would be an AIO for sure.

14. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

The T8 is probably what I'll get as I kind of like the idea that for a few tens of dollars extra over any other good cooler I have the capacity to overclock if I want but in the meantime I like low noise and Thermalright fans always used to get very good reviews on Xbitlabs when it was around. I've pretty much always bought them if I can source them since I first got an IFX-14 for my socket 775 Q6600, but if availability is a problem then Noctuas are a good and safe second option.

I've got the Silver Arrow IB-E and again it was only like $20-$30 more than the single tower true Spirits which is the reason I bought them and from memory I think they were about equal in performance to the D14 at the time although a little bit quieter, if you wanted maximum cooling regardless of noise then they also made the Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev. B which also could cool 320 watts but at 48 decibels I think I'd be choosing any water route over that particular one.

Fortunately for me I don't move mine around so they're OK in spite of the heavy weight involved and I just don't like the idea of water and electricity being in the same place especially if you have a 1080ti/2080ti/3080ti? underneath the water CPU cooler.

15. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Do you mean the True Spirit 140 Power? It is currently about 70AUD from Taobao but it is too tall for me so I went with a silver arrow T8, I heard it is one of the best single tower but it is just too tall to fit in most cases these days :( I heard Thermalright might also release an updated version of the TS140P with reduced height so I am just waiting.

As for OP, if you do intend to push your CPU just grab a Arctic Liquid freezer 360 from OCUK/Newegg/Amazon and maybe swap the fans out to something like Gentle Typhoon and enjoy cooler temp. I have been running these since Mar this year so far so good and it is pretty quiet even if you run the stock fans at full speed (I wire mine to full speed fan header) and the VRM fan is not exactly a gimmick :thumbup:

Jazper likes this.
  16. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

No, I think it is a 120, I use the 90's with my Xeons as I can't overclock those.

DarkSnipa likes this.
  17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I came from the dh-15 and that thing was massive, certainly cluttered everything up and made looking through the tempered glass door unbearable. So I canned it and went to the Kraken X62 aio and haven’t looked back. I can barely hear it, if at all...and looks fantastic inside the case. It also leaves plenty of room to see other internals through the glass door. Cooling is excellent. I wouldn’t go back to traditional air coolers at all now.

p3t0r likes this.
  18. Luke212

Luke212 Member

why wouldnt the AIO always beat the conduction heatsinks? they actively move the mass from the cpu head? whereas the heatsinks have to wait for conduction to work.

19. OP
    OP
    Jazper

Jazper Member

Heatpipes speed up the process enormously

20. OP
    OP
    Jazper

Jazper Member

unfortunately they are out of stock everywhere