AIO Watercooler - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Warpy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Warpy

Warpy Member

I'm thinking of moving to an AIO water cooler for my 8700K, but wanted to know what you guys are using and what specifics I should be looking for?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Speaking from personal experience it is well worth it with a delid it would be even better, but keep in mind the following before make a purchase:

1. Check your case's clearance see which ones would fit in;
    2. AIO cooler brand's warranty, brands like EVGA and Corsair have leak warranty where they would pay you if the defective AIO cooler leaked and killed other components along the way (on a case to case basis);
    3. Watch reviews see which AIO suits your fancy, some AIO coolers are great performer but loud while some have great rad but come with trash fans limiting its performance. Ask your self if you like software control or you just want simple pwm control via motherboard then make a choice.
    4. If you already worry about leaking, go get a Noctua NH-D15 that thing is able to compete with 240 AIO liquid coolers without sweat if I remember it right.

Warpy likes this.
  3. Hater

Hater Member

Currently using a Corsair H80 (1st gen)

Pros: Went from 44C idle to 30C idle.

Con: Is a bastard to fit anywhere.

4. isaakk

isaakk Member

Happy with my H110i, cools well and is quiet. Keeps my delidded 8700k @ 5GHz happy at under 65deg.

5. OP
    OP
    Warpy

Warpy Member

Thanks guys, I have a Phanteks Enthoo Primo so my case should accommodate a large rad. I prefer to stay clear of NZXT, due to their software, not read much about Corsair.

6. Gus the Mus

Gus the Mus Member

I just recently went from using a CM Hyper 212+ push/pull to a BeQuiet SilentLoop 280 push only on my i7 3930K @ 4.3GHz. I was running with the side off the case to keep temps down beforehand and now with the case all closed up I'm idling around 10C cooler and 13-15C less at full load. Well worth it IMO.

7. isaakk

isaakk Member

I'll be honest, i'd rather CAM over Corsair Link 4. CAM may be buggy and temperamental, but at least it doesn't consistently hover at >6% CPU usage all the time, with a 5GHz 8700k no less - which is absurd. I mean, you don't need to run Link all the time, but geez. My system idles at 10% CPU usage simply due to Gigabyte and Corsair software.. /rantover

8. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I have a H115i Corsair AIO in my system. Keeps my ryzen 1700 under control very nicely at 4ghz.

Noticed cooler master has released a very affordable 240mm AIO that even comes with RBG fans. Pretty damn good deal.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/40356/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240l-rgb-aio-cooler

Anyway, I'd say they are totally worth it. But id never spend more than $80-120 on one. (I got my Corsair for a steal during a 20% ebay sale)

Warpy likes this.
  9. hairy

hairy Member

had my h80 pump die within 2 months.
    had a coolermaster 280mm aio that done well for 12 months then sold.
    now back on custom very expensive.
    I'm not a fan of aio pumps myself.

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Sits at 0.3-0.8% for me (12 threads), and that's controlling 5 fans and 6 RGBs
    You may be running into an issue that because the same SMBUS is being used to poll the same sensors, that they are causing latency.

I would go full custom with a D5 pump if you want quiet, AIO pumps are still waaaay too loud IMO. You can pick up a full D5 kit second hand for less than the cost of some brand new AIOs.

11. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Fractal design Celsius s24 is what I put in mine and it's great if you can fit it, only a 240mm.

Beats out the corsair imo.

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Those Coolermasters do look good, I've mentioned them in here before. An AIO with quality fans, not before time !
    I'm personally using the factory Wraith Spire on my 1700 @ 4GHz, has it well under control. Might look at an AIO again when I get a 2700X, but they will come with a pretty version of the Wraith Max which should fit in my build too, so I'll check that out first.

13. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

4ghz with just the spire? jesus silicon lottery there mate good job. What board you running it in?

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm a bit disappointed in it myself :lol: Its an Asrock B350 ITX. I was more making comment on the quality of the factory cooler I think.

15. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Yeh the factory cooler is great. I am thinking if I build a 2400g HTPC I will use the spire which came with my 1700 to cool it, since the 2400g only comes with the stealth.