Air cooling in a dirty/dusty situation

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Brigalow, Nov 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Brigalow

Brigalow Member

Howdy guys chasing some thoughts and opinions i have had in relation to air cooling where i live. IT IS DUSTY... i live down wind of a set of cattle yards, down wind of a major dirt road and to top it off downwind of 2 machinery shed and one workshop. Dust is that bad i burn out an aircon a year on average and curse daily the person who designed the infrastructure on this property or more accurately where to put the frelling house. (Plus ambient room temps can be over 30c even with a aircon going flat out in a medium sized room)

I recently purchased a second hand pc with asus p5n32-e SLI with qx6850 in a Kandalf case etc etc. My though was what if i ignored trying to put prefilters on case fans and plugged a fan controller into an external power supply leaving the fans running constantly (when pc is turned off) to stop dust from settling in the case (possibly cpu cooler fan as well)?? It would simply be a powerpack with a molex connection soldered onto the end any oppinions on if this solution may work?

The setup i have been considering would use an NZXT sentry lx, unfortunately i cant find a sentry 2 in aus yet or it would be my preferred option. Anyone aware of more appropriate controllers for my situation or other dust busting solutions other than elbow grease from anyone as my last pc was a fortnightly clean out that got rather tiresome... The other reason i like the controller was the 5 temp monitors poor old thing gets rather hot under the collar when the dust builds up.

Looking froward to any thoughts,
    Brigalow

2. -Cypher-

-Cypher- (Banned or Deleted)

The simplest option would be to buy a case that has good filtering pre-installed, buying filters can be expensive\hard to clean and home made ones are shit (stocking DON'T work "well" despite what some may think, but they are better than nothing at all).

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Nope, definitely won't work. All it will do is put more dust into the case. The dust doesn't settle because the fans stop pushing it, it settles because it runs into something and sticks to it.

You really need to get a case which has filters in it already, or add filters to the case you have, and remember to clean them regularly. Even the best filtered case is still going to allow fine particle dust in though, so don't expect the inside to stay pristine even with the filters.

I'd also look into an atmospheric room filter, something like these:

http://www.austinair.com.au/

Obviously those are for fairly large applications, but you get the idea. That will reduce the overall dust levels in your room which in the long run should save you a bit of money in not having to replace equipment that fails regularly because it's full of dust...

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

buy a pair of panty hose... like giant one and slip it over your entire pc. if you cbf washing, just buy a new pair :D

5. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

just buy a new pc when the current 1 gets dirty

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

do you also buy a new car when your current one runs out of petrol?

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

He probably does. People who don't understand sarcasm have no choice :rolleyes:

8. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Build a big box out of wood or similar with a very large filter or three on the front (I'm talking like 40cm wide x 70cm high here)... put the PC in this box and clean the filters on the box every now and then.

Optionally, if the dust is absolute killer, then filter the fans on the PC as well.

9. merlin13

merlin13 Member

If the environment it'll be running in is really dusty/filthy, maybe for long-term consider building/buying an external filter box of some description then run a suitable lump of ducting over the real PC case.

Seal up the PC case as appropriate (have the PC fans all blowing outwards, those that you keep going) and have the filtered air pushed into it at positive pressure (bigger fans at the filter box), to blow the dust and crud out away from being sucked up into the PC innards.

You would only look at having the PSU fan and maybe a single case fan to vent the case, unless you've got a thermal monster.

Small filter stage on the remianing PC case fansjust to keep any stray bits out... believe it or not the green Scotchbrite-type pads work surprisingly well as filters.

Ugly as all hell, ideally the ducting is connected to the PC via a quick-release twist-lock arrangement but if the working environment needs to go through this sorta bullshit to keep the PC running without filling up with dust... :)

I've help set up something similar over 10 years ago, where the filter box was fitted outside the office, the 4 inch/100mm filtered air duct was drilled in through the outside wall.

The outside filter box had a stack of flat automotive air filters in it which simply got slid out and replaced as they started to clog up up. Think they ran it on paper filters for a couple of years before they worked out it was cheaper to go oiled foam filters.

10. OP
    OP
    Brigalow

Brigalow Member

Some interesting and um.. sarcastic comments....
    Cypeher - Should have mentioned old case had filters and didn't really help much tried a few dif filter materials ended up using pre cut aquarium filter mats so i could just change them over and soak the others
    Evile Genius - Currently checking out the room filter not a bad idea really something more for me to look into
    terrastrife - as long as the GF doenst think they come from a third party i will remain alive :shock:
    MrSmoke - only if you give me the cash :D
    Sarcastic interlude - If you seen the ute i own and am continually fixing it would be real tempting to walk away from it but then i dont run out of fuel a 30km walk home in 40c+ is only ever done once........
    Menthu_Rae & merlin13 - Very interesting idea i will need to look into more. The dust hear is a real pain mixture of bulldust and alluvial river silt with a high concentration of Mica (the Mica essentially makes the dust a fine grinding paste.....) So far i think the ducting solution sounds right up my alley not hard to do just a bit o time is all.

Or i could attach one of these to the side http://www.vektools.com.au/tradequip-pedestal-type-industrial-750mm-3speed-380w-p-4119.html :D

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

That is really thinking outside of the square but seems totally feasible....I like and it think it could be be a very cheap and viable option.

Frankly you have nothing to lose at the moment.

12. NiSlo

NiSlo Member

13. OP
    OP
    Brigalow

Brigalow Member

Frell it maybe i should try and positively pressurize the room some how 24/7 blow the shit away before it get in lol

14. OP
    OP
    Brigalow

Brigalow Member

LOL i know i do some work on people computers who live around this area and it is not that uncommon to see that come through the door

15. Meeprawr

Meeprawr Member

Will postive or negative air pressure change the way dust settles inside of a case?

16. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

with the measly airflow provided by 12v fans, no.

17. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Another option is the use of a cheap, S/H 19" rack cabinet with all four sides, top and bottom. Most can easily be modded to hold a few or more decent fans with washable air filters in front of them. Just place your PC and network gear inside the case and cool, clean running is on the way.

18. fang_laluna

fang_laluna Member

thought mine was dirty

but this... seriously??? :upset:

19. sanjay

sanjay Member

holy shit...and how much better did it run once you cleaned all that crap out? :p

20. sogens

sogens New Member

LOL I should try this my house is very dusty