AirCon Install - Wiring standards (not a DIY, unhappy with prof install)

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Renegade40D, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

So hopefully this is the right place and someone might know what the standards are for wiring up an AirCon.

Basically we had two AC's installed, one in lounge/kitchen area and one in the main bedroom. The lounge one is fine as they have an isolator switch at the external unit as well as a separate circuit breaker in the meter box, they re used the breaker that was there for the AC they replaced.

Unfortunately i have found out that the bedroom install seems to be a half ass job, it was a back to back install and the external wall that the outdoor unit has been place next to is the same wall as the meter box, it is probably 1m between the two. Now instead of running wire to the meter box and installing a circuit breaker (i assumed common practice) they ran the cable 30cm from the external unit along the wall to where it lines up with a 2 plug power point that is in the bedroom, they have drilled a hole in the brick wall and run cable to then piggy back off that double plug point to get power for the internal and external units, so the AC unit is on the same circuit breaker as other circuits in the house.

I am not an electrician but i think this is poor practice as it has a potential to cause issues with that existing circuit, before i go back to them and ask for it to be rectified i just want to know if what they have done is up to standard but just not sensible, or out right wrong.

Thanks

firey4059 likes this.
  2. Copie

Copie Member

It depends on the size of the AC, if its only a small unit, the power draw even under load wont cause an issue with the circuit especially if its on a 32a breaker. AC units dont have to be on their own seperate breaker but they generally are if they are bigger units and they could cause issues with overloading. That circuit its connected to, what is connected to it exactly apart from 1 powerpoint and the AC?

3. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

As long as they have installed a external lockable isolator switch as well at that aircon as per clause Clause 4.19 AS3000 it is legal.
    General power circuits are usually either 16 or 20Amp. Running current of a small aircon can be around 2-5Amps.

Personally I would have done a separate circuit or put it on same circuit as other aircon but they did not have to unless it was discussed first.

ArmoureD and firey4059 like this.
  4. money_killer

money_killer Member

X2 what he said

5. clonex

clonex Member

i recently had a aircon installed, few that quoted all suggested using same circuit as gpo.
    In the end got someone in that didnt groan and moan and installed it on the same circuit as the existing aircon(dedicated circuit) but it needed a safety switch so had to replace the existing one.

6. xc351

xc351 Member

agreed a little spliity pulls next to nothing

I bet money your PC pulls more

Either you need to request it and pay for it but that would add $100-200 to install with new RCD ect

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    ArmoureD and firey4059 like this.
  7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Also, for a bedroom unit, you'll likely be running it at night, when other lights/electrical do-dads aren't also on, so it isn't likely that you'd overload the circuit it's on (if you even had so much stuff for that to happen).

firey4059 likes this.
  8. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

Poor practice maybe, but it certainly complies to the standards and is legal.

Unless it is specified otherwise on the quote, or you specifically asked for it, you don't have much of a leg unfortunately.

Matthew kane and ArmoureD like this.
  9. mareke

mareke Member

I've got a window air conditioner which is reasonably powerful. I measured the power it uses with a meter & it averages between 1200 & 1400 watts per hour which is easily managed on a standard 16 or 20 amp power circuit.

10. OP
    OP
    Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Thanks for the replies, if it's within standard then I will get it fixed up myself as I am not happy with it.

Unfortunately since the main AC had its own breaker I made the assumption it would be standard practice for the 2nd AC as well, shouldn't assume. However had the tech told me he was piggybacking off the power point I would have told him to do a circuit breaker and paid the extra... Anyway.

For what it's worth the power point he piggybacked off is a 20A circuit that does 12 plug points in total, 2 bedrooms, hallway, dining area and lounge.

11. Beetroot

Beetroot Member

Hey, interested in finding out if he was a air-conditioning mechanic or a electrician that did the work. If he was a air-conditioning mechanic and only has a restricted licence. Report time.

12. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

How big is this air con? 12 points on a circuit isn't much at all, unless they are doubles in which case it is 24 points on the circuit?

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

When I had my latest unit installed, there was the air=conditioning guy and an electrician who turned up to do the wiring. I think that's fairly standard.

14. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

The demand in that part of the house is quite small and would be ok to add a small ac unit into.

15. OP
    OP
    Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

6 doubles, they didn't feeling like being generous with the plug points, it's a pain.

2.5kW / 3.2kW so it's only a small unit.
    Specs on the website seem to indicate continous 2.7A while cooling with a max range of 6A, 3.3A continuous running when heating with max 7A.

I don't believe under normal operation that I will have any issues, I would rather have the unit own it's own breaker in case there is a problem and that way it doesn't trip half the power points in the house.

All good, it's within standard so that's fine, I will get it changed to its own breaker next time I need to get a sparky out. Probably overkill but I am ok with that.

16. Copie

Copie Member

2.7-3.3a isnt much of a load, and will be fine. Your toaster or kettle will draw more power. I wouldnt bother touching it unless you run into issues and trip the breaker.

ArmoureD likes this.
  17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Unless the number of existing GPO's or orher loads are approaching the upper limits of what you'd want on a single circuit, (and that's something the installer should try to investigate during install) it really is a waste of time to put it on its own circuit

Under that logic you should put every gpo u have on its own cct.

ArmoureD likes this.
  18. Sonicman

Sonicman Member

Check the manual for the air conditioner - many specify that for warranty purposes it must be on its own dedicated circuit.
    AS3000 also specifies that installs are to comply with manufacturers instructions and specifications.

19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

There are standards around maximum load which I'm sure the guy checked. Sometimes people like to over engineer things and it's not the right way. Guy saved you a heap of money and a lot of both of your time.

ArmoureD likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Sonic on the money. There was nothing in the documentation I had or the documentation available on the website so I contacted fujitsu at lunch.

Genuinely impressed with the turn around time, email back within a couple hours advising all Fujitsu units as per the installation instructions are to be on there own circuit.