Airflow and Rads

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by {V|PER}, May 4, 2019.

1. {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Hi all, have another question for the floor. I have a Dark Base Pro 900 V2, with a front 420mm rad and 3x intake 140mm intake fans, with a top mounted 280 with 2x exhaust 140mm.

Then I have a single 140 mm fan at the rear of the case also exhausting.

I've noticed a little lately that the temps go up over a longer session which is expected, and granted I'm gaming and generating extra heat inside the case. At the moment all my fans are set to the same speed and are just PWM controlled.

I was thinking maybe I should crank up the speed on the exhaust fans and that might help pull some of the heat out of the case?

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I would suspect that the 2 top fans are diverting the flow to the rear fan, thereby leaving a lack of flow over the rear of the board. I'd consider lowering the speed of your top fans (or even removing them altogether, you have more than enough cooling capacity to leave the top rad passive) and increasing the speed of your rear fan, to get some extra flow to the back of the board. Which temps are too high?

3. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Hmm Ok, the CPU was seeing higher temps, I've noticed the GPU is a bit higher in this configuration at times so perhaps you're correct and their isnt enough air flow across the board.

4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I remember talking you through this one mate. At the time looking back through the old thread we wondered whether the 900 would have the airflow for it all. It seems to be doing what my original Phanteks Evolv did - and that case was a terrible breather.

I second Kev's suggestion of trying a passive roof radiator first. If that doesn't work, filter your rear exhaust and turn it around for intake and re-power the roof exhausts, see how that goes.

5. MoonSha

MoonSha Member

Removing the top fans will only increase CPU temps, drastically at that. If you can't feel the air being pushed out faster when you increase the fan speeds you know you have a bottleneck on the intake side, flipping the rear would help in that case, as will speeding up the intakes. Though if you're hitting the limit on the amount of air that can be sucked in through the cases front due its design you'll probably just make more noise with the fronts.

6. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Yeah we did discuss it, at the moment after being on for over an hour its sitting on min 33 max 43 and its about 22 deg inside the house. So its not hot by any standard, and compared to air cooling under load (gaming) its still 20-25 deg less which has been huge.
    I'll try powering down the roof, see what happens.

And then if that doesn't work ill flip the rear and turn the top back on.

Thanks for the responses, spot on as always.

7. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Hmm currently flatlining on 46 underload playing ass creed origins at 4K.... Maybe im being to picky :D

8. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Given your ambient, I don't think you'll do better than that mate. That's textbook.

9. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

Don't forget if you're in a closed room, the internal ambient will creep up over an extended session.

3 degrees over normal isn't anything to worry about!

10. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Yeah cool, I think you're right. I'll still try disabling the top fans to see what it does. Upping the RPM on the rear exhaust etc.

Anyone know of a great fan controller, I'm using the BeQuiet one that came with the case which is ok but seems a bit limited. It has one PWM input, spread across two rails consisting of 3 fans per rail, You can set Hi speed and Silent on each rail, hi speed basically overides the PWM. Think It'd be nicer if it had provision for a separate PWM line so you can control each rail separately.

11. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

Doesn't your board control fans via the headers?

I use an Aquacomputer AQ5Lt now to do all that, it controls everything. I think there's a corsair link pro but I've not used it.

12. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Yep it does, so the BeQuiet module connects to the mobo fan header. Which is fine except it effectively controls all six fans of the one header, id like to be able to independently adjust the speed of those zones so if it had header to connect to another fan module that would be good.
    Or just finer controls on each of the connected fans. I'll have a look at those other ones.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Deeb0 likes this.
  13. im late

im late Member

I use the corsair link pro. independent control of each fan, can be set to react based on temp thresholds you set, etc..

{V|PER} likes this.
  14. juzz86

juzz86 Member

If you want a hardware recommendation (they're getting a bit rare, all software these days) I like the Reeven gear.

I have three now - Six Eyes, Four Eyes Touch and Polariz. Six and Four Eyes are good and can sit flush with the front of a case. Polariz is good for three zones and something different looks-wise.

I've not used the Corsair gear but have used the NZXT Grids - they're good, but the first-gen was a bit touchy on PWM control ranges, even with their own fans.

I'm a bit crusty and outdated though, I still do all my fans by direct voltage.

15. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

I quite like the look of this, and the software is nice to. I have an RM1000i PSU and I'd forgotten about the software since the upgrade to AMD.

So each fan can be independently controlled by that software? I think it'd be nice to have the front blowing cool air into the system and the rear ensuring the flow over the RAM etc. Then just have the top couple of fans exhausting but at a much slower rpm as to not interfere with the air flow overall.

16. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

Have you used their iCUE software? It apparently replaces the Link software.

17. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

yer 'Xtended sessions and heat creep' ,oh baby!