1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

AirPrint to Regular Printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Skramit, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Skramit

Skramit Member

I have a printer that doesn't natively support Apple's AirPrint. My wife really would like to be able to print from her iPad/iPhone.

Is there a way to get AirPrint working via my PC? After some googling it appears there are plenty of solutions from ~2012 that no longer work.

Has anyone successfully got this working with some network printer sharing trickery?

Printer is network connected...

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

if the printer is already network connected her phone should be able to detect it and use it...

3. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

That was my theory as well.

It's a network printer and I've shared it via my PC. But when you go to Print on the iphone, it detects no printers.

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

could be chalked down to the "apple" thing of making it harder to use non apple/ approved hardware

5. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

No. For a printer to be AirPrint capable, the printer needs to support it. (mostly by broadcasting bonjour mDNS to say here I am)

Pugs likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

Do you know if theres a way to spoof this via a PC?

7. Hater

Hater Member

8. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

If you have a NAS (like a Synology for example), they can usually broadcast shared printers via Bonjour for AirPrint.

9. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

20 minutes, as long as your printer has nice linux and CUPS support already, otherwise add a zero or two to that estimate.

Nope, don't know any of the real detail, just that is advertises these things via mDNS like AirPlay does as well.

10. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

Hmm I have a server running FreeNAS. I wonder if it can do the same thing.

11. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

12. elh9

elh9 Member

13. slavewone

slavewone Member

I remember installing something on my laptop that let me print from my iPhone.

Pretty sure it was this

14. sparz14

sparz14 Member

Does the printer company have an app? I just downloaded an Epson app from the Apple store and use that to print from my iPhone

15. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

I tried installing CUPS on freeNAS but the turorial I followed only sorta worked. Grrr

16. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Once upon a time I had an app loaded on a Mac Mini do to this. It was during that time when AirPrint was new and people wanted a bridge. Even so I always found it a little flakey.
    Printopia: https://www.decisivetactics.com/products/printopia/

Depending on the printer it might be worth upgrading it. Obviously, it will depend on it’s age and features.

Often the printer itself is very cheap and only the inks are expensive. I let my spare inks run down then purchased a new printer last time around. The old one was a Canon bubble jet MFD about 6 years old or so and was before AirPrint was really a thing. It had been through a pile of cartridges and while it still worked “okish” it was starting to leave marks on things, especially printed envelopes. I also found that it would often require a restart before it would print from certain computers (but not others for some reason).

I replaced it with a new Canon bubblejet MFD and was quite amazed with how much better it printed than the old one. I’m also amazed at how everything *just works*. Windows and OSX both seem to just work better, it was detected and basically set itself up on everything. Another real bonus for me is that the new does double sided scanning in a single pass, something I actually use all the time and far quicker (and far far far less prone to jamming) than the old single sided one that had to flip the pages as it went.

And the important point, the Wife can now just hit print from her iPad and stuff comes out. Amazing how often she uses that!

This is what I got:
    https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...y-wireless-inkjet-mfc-printer-mb5160-camb5160