Alarm dialer to Arduino to send email

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by onggie, Oct 8, 2015.

1. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

I have looked into this before a fair bit and am working on a prototype solution that can be marketed out so cant go into details without you signing a ND statement :Paranoid:

2. OP
    OP
    onggie

onggie Member

Everyone is suggesting this, so it would be the way to go. I can't seem to find a voltage divider from Jaycar (I know Jaycar is expensive, paying for the convenience).

Here is what I'm thinking of tapping into

Using the telcom line or just an alarm system in general?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  3. paulvk

paulvk Member

Ok now looking at your diagram you have 4 zones so get one of these http://www.jaycar.com.au/Kits,-Scie...mming/SD-MMC-Card-Webserver-In-a-Box/p/KC5489 it has 4 inputs and will send you an E-Mail and tell you which zone was triggered the only extra bits will be 4 opto couplers & some resistors to monitor the zones and the wireless router HLK-RM04 .

Also two of these would be good as it will efficiently bring the 12v from the alarm down to 3v for the web server and 5v for the router making the battery last if power fails, the one in the webserver is a wasteful linear type. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-DC-DC-...-23V-30V-SK-/261336251037?hash=item3cd8daba9d

The opto-couplers are need because the the unit only handles 3v on its inputs.

The webserver also has 4 outputs so you can turn things on and off with it as well.

I have a couple of these but the project came to an end with the magazine and I needed more so I had to write my own code and that meant an AVR the type of chip used in the Arduino.
    I should have thought about WIB before;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  4. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Using the dialler on the alarm control panel, and Contact ID protocol

5. aloysius

aloysius Member

Yeah Psycho is on the money. Contact ID is the go. Years ago I worked in as IT support for an Alarm Control room, the software they ran (ADSW) was essentially an access database which translated contact ID. Contact ID is really simple plain text info that is universal from most panels. You got a bosch solution 2000 by looks which will easily handle that. Have you got installer code etc to program it? I think I have installer manual for it somewhere here if you can't find it on google.

6. aloysius

aloysius Member

Also the Line check should be easy enough to program off in the bosch. It's usually 24 hourly check for dialtone. can be disabled without diabling other dialler functions.

7. OP
    OP
    onggie

onggie Member

Will check these out but really trying to not outlay more money with the web server that was suggested. Raspberry Pi would probably be cheaper

On my phone at the moment will check out what the Contact ID is tomorrow.

Thanks that gives me some confidence. Using an Ultima 880. Yes I have everything to program the system. There is a lot in the manual so I'll have a read tomorrow might need to pick your brains.

Will try dig this out of the manual tomorrow as well.

8. aloysius

aloysius Member

9. paulvk

paulvk Member

The Raspberry Pi would probably end up costing about the same then you would have to get and write all the software and pages you would then have a full operating system with all its possibilities of things to go wrong.
    I suggested the WIB as all the work has been done, it is stable and not a full multitasking system its done with 64K of program in flash with low power consumption.
    It is set up to log to sd card and send the e-mails you only need to set it up like you would an ADSL router.

10. Jonchilds

Jonchilds Member

A voltage divider is just a pair of resistors, so shouldn't cost more than a few dollars (1.5k & 1k resistors will give you ~4.5 volts)

11. vellanet

vellanet Member

12. Dice

Dice Member

You don't need to use a voltage divider, or a dialer, or anything complex. You have a normally open (possibly utilised already) and a normally closed (probably nothing connected).

Use the common and whatever terminal you want to. Personally I would use the N/O.
    N/O will go to 12v or ground, depending on what the jumper (24) is set to.

Run a relay or whatever you want.

Hey presto, you have a dry contact for your arduino to connect to.
    Keep it simple.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  13. aloysius

aloysius Member

All this reports is alarm state though. No further info. If using the dialler and CID you can work out zones in alarm, cancel codes entered, smoke detectors etc etc and have each email individually. I would think if you are going to the bother you might as well get all the info the panel is quite capable of supplying.

14. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

I'm not an expert on this, but I vaguely remember that the equipment attaching to telco infrastructure must be A-ticked, or behind a line isolation unit. Its been a while since I've looked at this stuff though.

15. aloysius

aloysius Member

I would think this project would all be local, while it has the possibility to dial another site, would be easier to just hook ATA up to the dialler port on alarm. nothing connected to telco hardware.

16. davros123

davros123 Member

OP, stop being a twat and do it the easy way as per everone's suggestion - by tapping into an alarm output - and not the phone line.

I do this for my alarm logging (also using an arduino). It works, move on.

Trying to make a solution that others can re-use when you know nothing John Snow is not clever...it's a waste of your time and everyone else's.
    Next thing you'll be tryng to decode the keypad bus...which to be honest is a better option than the phone line!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  17. aloysius

aloysius Member

Are you monitoring zones doing this somehow? Or is it just alarm state?

18. davros123

davros123 Member

Just alarm state. I feed this int my home automation system (DomotiGa) which handles the logging and notification etc.

I have a relay with a RF remote wired in so I can turn it on/off via DomotiGa/iPhone Gui...though the panel has a dialer and voice/dtmf control as well.

I only have one zone. There are enough outputs though that I could trigger a diff one for each zone...but no need for my use.

This has peaked my interest and I might just have another trot at decoding the keypad bus :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  19. aloysius

aloysius Member

No sure why you would bother with keypad bus. CID from dialler requires no fudging around, and if you change panels down the track can just program it to spit CID and you up and running again without having to decode anything. Horses for courses I guess. Keypad bus doesn't allow for periodic dialler checks etc either which, depending on how serious you get about it, might be a nice way to check the panel-email link still working.