Albatron develops AGP to PCIe bridge card

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Leca, May 18, 2005.

1. Leca

Leca Member

http://www.albatron.com.tw/admin/news/temp/{1F564148-8145-4C63-8717-04CFE898D6F0}_ATOP.jpg
    Source:
    http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/news/news_detail.asp?news_id=167

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2006
  2. SteakTheMooCow

SteakTheMooCow (Taking a Break)

I'd imagine that would bottleneck pretty damn badly? (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)... at least with newer cards.

3. THE D

THE D Member

Whats the point of having that bridge card if you can only use SFF cards in it?

4. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

For a current gen card probably not. For future GPUs which can actually use PCIe x16 bandwidth it will probably be a bad idea and this probably won't work in a SLI or AMR setup.

5. bYrd

bYrd Member

So only low profile AGP cards can be used - that is, slow, low powered, lowly GPUs? Seems a waste. No doubt there would be some sort of bracket or something for the card, but you'll block off some ports?

JB

6. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

probably would work with bigger cards but you'd have to do some custom retention bracket to hold it + only be able to use bottom moniter out. screw that!

7. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

I can see lots of people buying this product, NOT. What's the point if you can only use half-height cards.

8. Pazu

Pazu Member

Those who have the money for a high-end agp card would most likely have a high-end system already, so they won't be upgrading in a fair while, and those who are buying new computers will be getting a pci-e based mobo, so they won't touch this bridge with a 6ft pole. And, for now, those who want to upgrade only their mobo or the graphics card, they still have a very good range of agp mobos and graphics cards to choose from, and, if they are to spend lots of money, they would most likely get a new system anyway, so, after all these blabbing, I can conclude by saying that this bridge is pretty pointless for 99% of the those who are thinking about upgrading.

9. Phido

Phido Member

If your ghetto, you could fit a full hight card in there. Just can't screw it onto your case..

10. unconess

unconess Member

Yeah I agree - the physical restriction to using half-height cards looks like a big killer for that adapter...

It would probably be more cost effective to buy an equivalent low-end PCI-e card instead.

11. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Decent full height card = copper cooler = a lot of weight. It's bad enough hanging a heavy card from a single screw and the AGP slot - let alone from no screw and an AGP-PCI converter.

What are they doing with that VGA connector on the converter card? Surely that card doesn't have the required circuitry to output video? Actually, after looking at it again, it looks like that might be mainly just to hold the backplate on. It also seems to have a set of pins next to it - maybe some Albatron low-profile DVI-only cards have the option of adding a VGA output with those pins.

It seems utterly pointless to me. The fastest readily available low-profile card would be a Radeon 9600SE. For about $80, you can get a Geforce 6200TC, which I think would beat the 9600SE fairly easily. Once you add up the cost of the converter card and the money that you'd save by selling the 9600SE, you've probably got the $80 for a GF6200 anyway. Nvidia's also going to be releasing the NF4 IGP sometime reasonably soon, and that'll probably beat most low-profile AGP cards too.

12. psynapse

psynapse Member

Yeah that's great and all, but they should make it on a right angle.
    I'd rather lose 2-3 PCI slots than have to make a cutout in the side of my case to let the top 1/3rd of my video card protude :shock:

13. TMM

TMM Member

+ the fact that the DVI/D-SUB connecters would probably get in the way at the back of your case since there isn't any hole for them to stick out through ;)

edit: may not be a problem on some cases.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  14. unconess

unconess Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. I thought that it might have been part of some built-in video 'card' feature or port-replicator within the converter board.
    Though I didn't notice the pins right next to the connector - I think you're probably right about it being just an optional secondary connector type of thing.

15. unconess

unconess Member

True, though ghetto may imply dremels, hacksaws, hammers, post hole diggers, etc... :Pirate: :p

16. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Add Gaffer tape, blu-tac and superglue to that list.

17. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 Member

ooohhh that pci bracket looks REALLY weak,... i dont like it personally.... i think it looks a little bodge and it doesnt loook tooo strong (As i said above)

18. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

More info here

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=3272

I think it could be a good idea if its cheap enough. If it were available "right now" I'd get one now for my AGP 6800GT rather than going to buy a PCIe X850 or 6800GT knowing that R520 and G70 are around the corner.

19. Tony

Tony New Member

If you have an SFF card it's prob. low performance so you're going to need to upgrade to a PCI-E solution anyway eventually. I guess they are compatible with Albatron's own SFF cards?

It's a solution looking for a problem.

T.

20. DeNs

DeNs Member

Agreed. The first way i'd think of that they'd do this would be to do it downwards rather than as an addition, but then comes the other problem - How many people would cut up their case just to get the plugs in? The connectors would be too close to the back to be able to just slide them in sideways and then back upright again, so there's the problem with that idea.

Still, I can see little use for this device for anyone on this forum.

---dens