Alchemy (Hardware Sound acc ) for Audigy in Vista is here

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by OzWolfbane, Apr 29, 2007.

1. OzWolfbane

OzWolfbane Member

Hi.

Hope you can give this obscene joke proper coverage :

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=15125

we are pleased to announce that we have begun development of an implementation of ALchemy for Audigy series sound cards, and hope to offer this product as a low-cost upgrade to interested Audigy owners later this year.

-------------------------------------

Some Quotes from people :

Ermm Creative, what do you think you're playing at? Oh of course, if you can't make people buy new hardware, you'll make them buy software instead.

I have never seen any company try to pull something like this. You don't see Nvidia and Ati/AMD trying to charge for making your older video card work with Vista. We bought the sound card and in that price a decent amount of time a support. My Audigy 2 was out when XP was around, and ONE OS upgrade later I lose support and must pay more money to get it back?

Thanks and Regards

OZWOLFBANE

A detailed discussion on the issue on creative forums :
    http://forums.creative.com/creative...essage.id=15129&view=by_date_ascending&page=3

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. jarnex

jarnex Member

Haha, that's fantastic!

Creative can always steep to lower lows. If they cut their marketing budget by 0.01%, they could self-fund the drivers instead of asking customers to "donate" for Vista DirectSound support.

3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I have - Creative have done it before.

Both Asus and Dell have offered parts/systems with an "Audigy software upgrade" option, which was essentially a bit of software to emulate the Audigy's features in software for the onboard sound.

4. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Thank god for bittorrent :)

That sounds like apple... charging users for a firmware update to enable their Pre-N wireless.. even if they already own the hardware.. and then turn around and say 'oh, but its an accounting issue'...

Nice way to earn customer loyalty and trust... ;) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :shock:

5. khendar

khendar Member

Isn't this the result of MS removing DirectSound support from Vista ?

6. power

power Member

complete bollocks - i hope this stuff gets pirated up the wazoo

7. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

While I think it's silly of Creative to charge for it. And have no doubt everyone will just pirate it anyway.

Is it really fair to expect Creative to release free updates when it was Microsoft that went and changed the way Windows deals with sound.

You bought your audigy and at the time it said it supported Windows XP. They didn't say anything about Vista. You can't just assume that an old, outdated piece of hardware will continue getting free updates because another company went and made it incompatible with their latest operating system.

Development costs money. They want to re-coup those costs. Good on them.

If the Audigy was still current and still sold in the market then I could understand your frustration but it's not. It's a dated product.

8. OP
    OP
    OzWolfbane

OzWolfbane Member

You would call Audigy 2 ZS outdated ??? They knew the software changes well in advance , they are providiig the software free to x-fi users probably to force audigy2 users to upgrade

I will be waiting for torrents on principal

9. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Considering they have released the Audigy 4 and X-Fi since the Audigy 2 I would say yes it is outdated. It was released back in 2003... Four years is a LONG time in the computer world.

They are providing the upgrade to X-Fi for free because it is a current, supported product.

Anyway download it on principle because those pricks at creative aren't supported an EOL product. Those bastards.

10. OP
    OP
    OzWolfbane

OzWolfbane Member

audigy 4 and audigy 2 whats the diff ?

11. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

It just irks me that for the cost of development, we have perfectly good cards that are now, useless.. all because creative is too lazy/money driven to do the right thing and release a fully implimented driver. We supported you and the least they could do is make an older product work as it should. Not only that, there's also an environmental cost too.. throwing away a good card that works as it shoud but lacks a working driver.

It's not like these are small, custom made cards that only a few people have bought. There must be hundreds of thousands of cards that were sold which may as well go in the bin. It's really quite slack.

One can only hope that those audigy buyers march with their feet and refuse to go near a creative product again.

12. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Well not exactly. You have perfectly good cards that now won't support EAX and other game specific hardware acceleration.

You don't have to throw out the card. Just pay the small fee and get Alchemy if it is that important to you....

I guess my point is. When do developers draw the line and stop supporting an End of Life product. If it was creative that stopped their Audigy range from working in Vista I would have a bit more sympathy. But you can't blame Creative for a move by Microsoft for not including any sort of backwards compatibility for older sound cards. Especially when Microsoft know full well that There must be hundreds of thousands of cards that were sold.

Anyway I'll leave it at that. Us X-Fi owners probably don't have much of a place in this thread :weirdo:

13. Reaper

Reaper Member

But a soundcard is something that does last that long and even longer.

Once you have something that does whatever effects you want, you then don't upgrade it because it's gotten slow like a cpu or video card does. An Audigy 2 is still very much a current card in those regards. ;)

Good points. People need to look at the other side of the coin. Plus with what I mentioned above, creative don't exactly keep selling regularly because people are happy with what they do buy and don't worry further about it, or they're happy with just onboard sound.

If they want to charge for what essentially is an application, then they're entitled to it like every other person making apps. Whether to pay for it or not is a personal matter like every other piracy.

EDIT: Actually if everyone looks at the big picture, it does seem that creative have actually looked and listened to what people are still using. I consider it a good step to make this available to audigy owners instead of flat out forcing them to upgrade to a "higher" soundcard.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  14. khendar

khendar Member

Chances are, but the time "later this year" comes around Creative will have decided to release Alchemy for free, or possibly work out a driver based workaround. Everyone is so quick to jump on the hate bandwagon they're blinded by the real picture.

15. Automaton

Automaton Member

I think there have been a lot of intelligent responses on this issue on both sides of the divide already. I was thinking the following:

I very much agree with this, a company with Creative's market presence should realise that it's products have a relatively slower life cycle (compared to graphics cards for example) and need to show some responsibility. I'm sure their marketing department would love to tell us how "concerned" they are with such issues, so they should prove it and maintain the lower externality possible. Producing working drivers have a much better long-term cost than the landfill of many redundant boards.

I agree with both these comments but the question is how much of this cost should be passed onto consumers? It's questionable that this will be a seriously development cost compared to other projects they are undertaking, more likely it could be run off the back of Vista driver development for their other card ranges. Also, it's not as though they are financially ham-strung and release a single card each decade. It may be a real task for one of the smaller sound card makers to foot the bill.

Personally I'm open to paying a reasonable sum (relative to the card's current value, which isn't much) to continue using my Audigy 2ZS.
    The best response for someone who is stronly against the idea is to simply not buy a Creative sound card when next in the market for one.

16. orbitor

orbitor Member

also, why aren't 3DFX making glide drivers for Vista?!?!?!?!?

Sure I'd much prefer they offer this software free, but really, Audigy owners bought a card touting Windows support which NEVER claimed to support Vista. So really, Creative owe you nothing.

17. bioxeed

bioxeed Member

the 3dfx comparison is hardly valid don't you think?

as for being charged for what's essentially just an openAL wrapper... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Regarding creative not owing people anything I beg to differ. People paid for the product which includes the software as well. And in the soundcard game you'd expect that to extend to new drivers/software for new operating systems given that a good soundcard should last more than a few upgrade cycles. I don't know about you but I think creative should be able to afford the costs.

Also for those blathering on how this is about the audigy 1 or some such it relates to ALL audigy series cards. So not just the ancient a1's but also the recent a4's as well.

18. r-type

r-type (Banned or Deleted)

:rolleyes:

A valid comparison would be Nvidia charging a fee to support 6-series cards in Vista. It's a couple years old guys lolol.

19. YoSiMeTe_SaM

YoSiMeTe_SaM Member

Exactly :thumbdn: They are fucken kidding imho and will certainly never get my $$$ again EVER!

Sammy

20. sonyx

sonyx Member

Creative are like the GM of the audio industry... well informed people see them for what they are, but the massive swarm of idiots who purchase their products & voice their opinions overwhelm :)

PS i've owned an SB Audigy 2 ZS, SB Live and an aureal vortex2 :)

The aureal soundcard in terms of quality crapped on the sblive and audigy, but loaded up with the KX Audio drivers - the Audigy 2 ZS became quite a good soundcard with an interesting DSP