Aldi and Costco coming to Adelaide

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 13, 2009.

1. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

IIRC that's how it happened in Victoria. I remember one day seeing this odd looking store and thinking, "WTF?" and then suddenly I was seeing them everywhere.

2. Garido

Garido Member

Aldi are great. I've managed to save so much on my grocery bill because of it. I feel so sorry for those in SAer. My workmate just laughed and said, it's only Adelaide.

3. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Funnier still, is that you moved to Bendigo which, surely is a huge step up :)

4. Silent Remorse

Silent Remorse GAMING OVERLORD

Sydney is a perfect central point for the QLD/NSW/VIC loop. It's less than 2hrs each way to fly to Melbourne or Sydney, and less than 10hrs by road.

SA/WA/NT/TAS are out of that zone.

5. Foliage

Foliage Member

Tell your work mate that without SA you wouldn't have any gas in Sydney. We do more for you than you realise!

6. Garido

Garido Member

He just laughed. But I hope you get some competition there soon. Adelaide misses out on a lot of things. At least Costco seem to hold their promise.

7. Oosh

Oosh Member

It is just the reality of living in a relatively small and geographical isolated market.

8. Garido

Garido Member

I do wonder why people move there when Adelaide often misses out (concerts, etc). It's funny because in my metro area, I can't drive more than 5 KMs without an Aldi. Sometimes they are on the same road.

9. Oosh

Oosh Member

Those aren't top priorities for everyone.

I've no interest in selling people on Adelaide but it does have other things going for it.
    Ex-pat Melbournite speaking btw.

10. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Like?

Not trying to be sarcastic. I'm genuinely interested. Job prospects for someone like me in a town like Melbourne are pretty slim and rent, food, etc. costs are higher the closer you get to the city and job opportunities are less the further away you get. I've honestly been thinking about moving somewhere where I'd have better opportunities and a lower cost of living.

I'd be loathe to give up a lot of the conveniences, however... like ALDI.

11. Oosh

Oosh Member

Lower cost of living is certainly one. But if ALDI means that much to you...

Look this isn't the thread for that kinda discussion.
    Why not start a thread in the Lifestyle sub-forum on the subject if you want to explore your options?

12. Oosh

Oosh Member

13. Foliage

Foliage Member

14. romanx

romanx Member

Tbh, I'm not interested in Aldi. I tend to buy anything I can locally sourced (except for PC parts). But food locally, my car was built locally, my fridge came from interstate. I'll stick to buying Aussie produces products.

15. Foliage

Foliage Member

Every man has a price, what if all their food was given away for free, would you still buy local? What if they paid you a million dollars per lettuce you bought from them?

16. Garido

Garido Member

Many of ALDIs products and produces and manufactured locally. Bread, milk, grocery and fresh produce. Dare I say it but I have a sneaking suspicion a farmer who cuts a deal with Aldi may get a better deal for himself rather than going to the big 2.

17. Pugs

Pugs Member

About time.....

18. romanx

romanx Member

There's a big difference between manufactured locally and sourced though. They can ship milk and wheat from interstate and make it here. But personally I try and buy products that are sourced here, i.e. Tweedvale milk.

19. romanx

romanx Member

Free? I still doubt it. Nothing is free, it always comes with a catch ;)

20. apsilon

apsilon Member

I wouldn't get too excited about Costco. At the Sydney store a lot of the stuff is priced higher than my local Woolies and Coles. You have to really know your prices. I constantly see people with their trolleys piled up and half the stuff they're buying could be bought at their local supermarket for cheaper. They get caught up in the big pack sizes etc.