Aldi and Costco coming to Adelaide

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Oosh

Oosh Member

I seem to remember the planning application mentioning putting parking on the roof so if they add a convenient method of access to the store from up there it'd probably be okay.

2. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

hmm, interesting... Wonder where the access will be though? Doesn't look like the ramp is going back in. At least not where it was.

3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Friend of mine will be super happy with the location.....she is in one of the side streets just opposite TTG.

4. Oosh

Oosh Member

5. sanjay

sanjay Member

I picked up an Aldi goodies bag from a pop-up stand they were running in Rundle Mall a week or so ago.

Cannot. goddamn. wait.

Wish they were allowed to sell booze here, though. Love their sub-$30 cartons of beer (especially Sainte Etienne, a Stella rip-off :D )

6. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

Bring it on. We used to shop at Aldi all the time when we lived in NSW and saved fuckloads in the process.

7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What was in the goodies bag?

8. Oosh

Oosh Member

Never know, they might open their own separate bottleshops, law only stops them selling liquor in the same store.

9. mareke

mareke Member

In NSW Aldi stores sell liquor in the same store and if Aldi can do it then presumably Costco can as well.

10. patto

patto Member

Depends on your local state laws. NSW licenses are probably stricter as I've seen stores there without liquor whereas I've never seen stores in VIC without liquor.

As per their website:
    Liquor is available in selected ALDI stores in NSW, VICT, ACT. Due to liquor licensing limitations, liquor is not sold in any QLD ALDI stores, however our online liquor store aldiliquor.com.au delivers orders also to the QLD area.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If they could rival Dan's then that really would be something. Dan's has the market cornered it would seem.

12. sanjay

sanjay Member

it wouldn't be too hard for them to manage (think the BWS sitting inside the main woolworths in the CBD here) but considering aldi are a low-cost groceries vendor, I doubt we'll see them do it (especially as they haven't bothered to do this in Queensland, which has similar liquor licensing laws to us).

13. Oosh

Oosh Member

Yeah you're probably right.

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Did they give you guys an opening day specials catalogue?

Interested to know what Gadgets they have . Usually the stuff they have over- stocked on they send off to newly opening stores heavily discounted. Hence I always drop by before a new store opens in bris if it's not far away.

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nothing for me yet only just an information brochure dispelling the myths etc.

16. Oosh

Oosh Member

Drove past the Parafield Gardens store this morning, was like a fete, with a mass of people queuing to enter.
    Even Dear Leader Weatherill was hanging about out the front, likely getting ready to claim how him and Aldi are going to save the north from the dole queue!

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah you would have had to have been nuts to be going this morning.....I guess people are thinking they are getting opening day specials etc.

18. oli

oli Member

30m queue of people quickly growing at 8:30 this morning when the Seaford store opened... I will try another day. Looks like they were expecting a lot of people as they had barricades and everything setup to control flow of people. :p

19. Oosh

Oosh Member

20. sanjay

sanjay Member

Does anyone know what Aldi's opening hours are? the information is not that easy to find on their website. :(