1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

ALDI arcade cabinets

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by melatonin, Oct 24, 2018.

1. melatonin

melatonin Member

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Bear in mind they are 3/4 scale so not full size ones. There are risers available to raise them to normal height though. Or just prop it up with some milk crates. :lol:

3. datfreak

datfreak Member

Do they run on a Pandora box style emulator?

4. power

power Member

they are getting reviewed all over YT, have a look around.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Teardown video showing the hardware inside. Shows a side-by-side with a Pandora's Box. Not identical, but similar.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I'd love the Rampage version but the size of it even with the stand is a bit of a put off for me.

Perfect for the kids but it's hard to justify the price when they are already spoilt for choice when it comes to retro gear around the house. :)

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

8. shredder

shredder Member

whatdoesthisdo, sanjay, j3ll0 and 6 others like this.
  9. bYrd

bYrd Member

It looks quite cheap and best suited for kids - $499 for a 17" screen, MDF and no easy hacks for more games seems pretty steep. The < $200 arcade joysticks in a box (running Pandora with hundreds of games), would be a better bet. Or, roll your own bartop with a kit, free LCD and raspberry pi 3.

JB

10. darkanjel

darkanjel Member

This review is (IMO) terrible, Steve clearly can barely play Street Fighter; he can't even do a three-hit combo (jump attack, crouch attack xx special). The joystick and buttons are also cheap and horrid. You should be able to replace them at $30/stick and $3/button, but most casual gamers/button mashers won't notice any difference. Two adults definitely can't play properly side-by-side.

11. power

power Member

you are forgetting everything is fully licenced.

comparing a product that relies on pirated roms, etc is hardly fair but this is the world we live in i guess.

frnak and im late like this.
  12. bYrd

bYrd Member

OK, get it now - still $499; can see a lot going back or ending up discounted at Aldi

13. im late

im late Member

Look like I found my xmas gift. Will bring back the days of racing to timezone Sydney CBD after school for street fighter battles.....

We talking 1990 here guys.... :Paranoid: :lol:

JSmithDTV and cmi83 like this.
  14. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Haha very true. For a lot of people it will likely end up an impulse buy, play it 7 times, then realize it's not something you need/want to do every day or even week, and it takes up plenty of space and the wife is after you

Not that I know from experience..

15. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Subtle hints for the gf to get me a SF2 machine for my garage :D:D

16. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I'm more interested to see how many each store gets than I am in buying one. Usually the special items that create a talking point online are the sort of items each store only gets a very low number of and the day of the special all the conversations go from how great the item will be to how poor Aldi is because they can't fulfil demand.

17. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I'm not sure if there will be a great demand for it to be honest. I know retro computing/gaming, well just about everything retro is getting popular at the moment but has it gone mainstream enough that your average mum and dad will line up for it? Also sure it's a great price considering what it usually goes for but it's still pretty expensive for what it is. I think a lot of people like myself just can't justify the cost especially if you come to the realisation this will most likely just be an impulse buy which will get some use for a while but then sit in the corner taking up space.

Would not honestly be surprised if plenty of the Aldi stores (especially in the poorer suburbs) won't have people lining up down the road for it.

18. OP
    OP
    melatonin

melatonin Member

frnak, 2SHY, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I doubt their will be many lines for them anywhere but when you look back on Aldi specials where each store only got one and two of each item that people were wanting they wont need a line to have disappointed people.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Even if somebody picks it up and the kids only play it over the school holidays, it'd probably be cheaper than going to Timezone all the time. You can get through a lot of money in there.