ALDI arcade cabinets

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by melatonin, Oct 24, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Remember folks: it's ok for things to exist, even if you're not the target audience.

The more people playing old games, the better. Even if I'll never buy one, I'm happy these exist.

2. rireland

rireland Member

really miss the days when cabs where everywhere. have some great memories playing with friends after school at the local shop.

fredhoon and power like this.
  3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

needs scanlines

nimmers and elvis like this.
  4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

if they are sturdy and/or the first owner takes good care of it I reckon it would be a fun second hand pick up with the potential to gut the shell to make way for improvements.

cmi83 likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's not quite that authentic.

6. elvis

Don't forget there are good quality flat pack arcade shell suppliers in Australia too. Another option is you're looking for a shortcut on the woodwork part of a cabinet build:

http://www.arcadeworx.com.au/

Lots of retro arcades popping up these days. Nostalgia is a strong force, and the love for old games is out there. Even here in sleepy Brisbane there are two notable retro arcades (one is a pub, which is awesome).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Grant likes this.
  7. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

yeh just meant that if someone flogged one of these off second hand for < $250 you'd be way closer to a completed cab than buying a bare flat pack from arcadeworx which starts at $500 - it is 3/4 size though so not directly comparable I suppose.

elvis likes this.
  8. nimmers

nimmers Member

I would be all over one of these if I was 7 years old or a midget.

elvis and WuZMoT like this.
  9. elvis

Some ideas if folks want to hack one.

10. frnak

frnak Member

11. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

So who went and got one today? :)

12. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Wifey said I could.. not sure I will tho :)

13. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

I looked and passed. They aren't selling the risers to go with them, or the plexiglass to go over the control panel (reports all over youtube show the control panel's vinyl decals wear away really fast, and they are apparently now producing plexiglass covers to protect them).

The machines are being imported by Hunter Products (VIC), so I sent them an email to ask if they are going to also import all the other parts too.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  14. elvis

Probably easy enough to make, but you're right, they should come as standard.

15. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

And I got their reply:

They will NOT be importing the risers.
    They WILL have the plexiglass panels available to purchase for $45 delivered in a few weeks time.

(But they are putting my comments through to their sales team about the risers)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  16. flain

flain Member

3/4 size that they are claiming these are seems a little dishonest when you see the actual size of these things. Like 1/4 more size will make it full size? good luck with that.

Hopefully these kick up enough demand interest that we see some bigger ones, if they did the same flat pack thing for a full size i'd be all over it

17. elvis

If you scale down the dimensions of something to roughly 3/4 in all axes, the resulting object appears to be about 1/2 the size by volume.

Cubic maths, plus optical illusion.

http://www.arcadeworx.com.au/

And they're Aussie made, rather than US like the Arcade-1UP models.

18. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yes these seem like an unlikely product to me - too big and expensive for a quick impulse purchase, and not big and expensive enough to satisfy the serious gamer. Those arcadeworx units look the business though - I really like their Fight Decks too, what a great idea.

19. flain

flain Member

Arcadeworx are good, but they're not really a ready to go thing like these 1UP cabs. I recently used them for my neogeo build.

A few lessons were learnt with arcadeworx, paint first before assembly and reinforce joysticks before installing the panel and also make sure the control sticks are long or get extensions because the wood panel is pretty thick compared to other machines :). You also need your own backing (plexi glass or other material) for the cutout bits to make it look good, so there is a lot of bits and pieces to pull together from various places.

20. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

When you factor in the additional riser plus protective acrylic for the control panel that realistically puts the 1up around $600?

If they arent purchased for kids i bet there will be a lot of adults that buy them as an impulse without realising the ergonomic limitations before it's too late :D