1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

ALDI arcade cabinets

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by melatonin, Oct 24, 2018.

1. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

How widespread is the price drop? Presumably these weren't a big seller.

Bit of a shame really. Will probably mean less interest from other regular sellers and lower resale on the secondhand market.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's a tricky one. Video game nostalgia is at an all-time high, but these cabinets are losing most of their cost in the product itself. Wood, monitor, controls, artwork, shipping. You eat into the dollar cost of materials pretty quick before you're even dealing with the big expenses of licensing.

Compare and contrast to mini consoles which are $50 worth of hardware, some software R&D, and the rest is licensing overhead.

I've built cabinets myself for years, and constantly get people telling me I should "retire and just make arcade machines". One-offs are weeks of work. Mass produced you're still in the hundreds of dollars and tens of hours to assemble one unit. In a market where people can pick up a Nintendo/Sony mini console for $100-150 with 20-30 games, selling a bulky arcade machine with bugger all software is a big ask.

You could do like half the dodgy bastards on eBay and sell them full of MAME ROMs, but get ready to lose your whole business overnight when the spotlight is shone on you for obvious mass copyright infringement.

I'm happy that these guys had a go at it, but having seriously considered the same thing for a long time, I couldn't ever see a way to make it work financially. And that's the reason that retro gaming is still only a hobby for me, and not a source of income (and isn't likely to ever be, unless someone wants to hire me as a writer).

3. power

power Member

they don't work because china piracy box is a "legitimate option".

elvis likes this.
  4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Dude, I'm building a Maslow CNC https://www.maslowcnc.com/ specifically to build https://www.opendesk.cc/ furniture and DIY Gaming Cabinets as tab cutouts. Just as a hobby bidness, because fun.

If people don't want to pay for bespoke, let them buy mass production there are always people wanting quality.

PS - I have 10 boards made by PCBway and have motors on order from ETON China, once I build one will have list of parts and spares for anyone wanting to make their own.

fredhoon, nic55, Vanne and 2 others like this.
  5. elvis

This is really cool. Please keep us up to date, as CNC is something I've wanted at home for a LONG time, but never had the budget for.

Currently I really want to make various retro gaming setups as either gifts for people or just at cost for fun. If I can get manufacturing cheap enough, I can source materials cheaply, and would love to punch out a system a month.

And you're in Brisbane! I think it's time to organise a Brisbane retro crew meetup.

Vanne and WuZMoT like this.
  6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

elvis yes to Briz Vegas so hope to have finished CNC by Jan 2019. As for cost, total should be < $500 more if like me you build the frame out of metal instead of wood.

Vanne, elvis and WuZMoT like this.
  7. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Know what you guys mean about build cost. I thought getting an empty cab for $100 i'd fill it in and finish it for less than I have and it's already running away from me a bit. I'm sure there's a pretty limited market for people willing to spend ~2K on a full size/proper cabinet. I think it's impossible to make a full time business out of. You'd probably have a better chance of making money by hiring machines out to people as party attractions.

8. elvis

I don't think that's terrible lucrative either. The damage bill alone would be huge.

At this stage, all I want to do is promote the history of video games. So making bartops and little retro consoles for people as gifts is my complete interest, and a cheap home CNC machine has been on the wishlist for ages.

9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

agreed, limited market AND you'd have to make sure they were proper DURABLE.

I'd happily build control sticks for people, non profit, if only to justify my ownership of a single use plunge router :p

elvis likes this.
  10. aXLe

aXLe Member

Awesome! I'd be keen to build one of those! Have an AC/DC TIG so would probably go steel on the frame. do they have a vacuum system to hold the work pieces in place after cutting? Guess I better read up some more, but I like the form factor - doesn't take up too much space.

11. Franc

Franc Member

Anyone seen $299? They are $399 everywhere I saw!

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

There is one of each at my local down in Gippsland for $299, maybe you need to find an Aldi out of the burbs.

13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Try Carnegie. There was an ozb post on sunday saying there were some for that price. Might be gone now

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

15. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

So made a few alterations to mine, I didn't want to ruin the original stuff so I made a new control section and then kitted it out with a Pie. Works pretty well, just need to tidy it up a bit and I am going to add some USB ports to the front and an on/off switch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shredder and elvis like this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Anyone know where to get them at 299 in Sydney?

17. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

Apparently an MKII machine will be released next year... I hope it makes it to Australia! I've fully rebuilt my SFII cabinet (Pandora's Box), built a riser etc and I'm really enjoying it now.

I built my riser to the exact same height as the official one - which to be honest I think is the perfect height for me. It actually makes the machine usable as an upright machine.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    cmi83 and Sipheren like this.
  18. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

19. g12345567

g12345567 Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  20. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

Yep they really screwed up in many ways - the sound issues (not mixing stereo into mono properly), graphical issues - and of course all the build issues and control panel wear. In my opinion they're only worth it if you intend to mod them.

Building a real cab from scratch may be the best way to do it, but they are hard (for people like me) and time consuming. I don't have the wood working skills to do it (can't cut anything in a straight enough line haha), and the next best thing is to spend $540 - $890 for a flat-pack full size machine from Arcadeworx, but that's just the MDF cab - there's no screen, there's no decals, it's just MDF (plain, painted or laminated - price goes up for each). So add on to that price everything else you need - the screen, the joysticks and buttons, the electronics etc.

At least with the Arcade1Up unit you get everything included, and you just have to rip out the parts you don't want and replace them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018