ALDI arcade cabinets

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by melatonin, Oct 24, 2018.

1. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Member

Looking at mods people I have seen they all seem to be replacing the current joystick and buttons. Anyone retained them and mod to raspberry pi?

2. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

3. shaneb74

shaneb74 Member

4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

that description looks like a slightly better version than the one i got which i think was just sold as a generic.

5. shaneb74

shaneb74 Member

Mine is the older version i bought several years ago with the square USB B connector, bought from Austin as well and xinmo branded. I'd have no hesitation buying from Austin Amusements again, received awesome after sales support from Steve.

Cheers,
    Shane.

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

As in steve austin ?
    Thats a six million dollar name :lol:

7. power

power Member

curiosity got the better of me (I literally have nowhere to put this) They had one unit (Rampage) at my local - $299.

8. shaneb74

shaneb74 Member

Sadly no, but I did have the same thought :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I bought it from Austin Amusements last year. Mine also has larger style USB-B plug and doesn't have the "mode" switch which this one lists in the description. Pretty sure mine isn't branded XinMotek on the PCB either, USB device name is still XinMo. It was actually a clearance item so I presume they were getting rid of them to make way for this newer one with additional mode switch and actual Xinmo branding.

edit: also Austin Amusements were pretty good, fast shipping.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  10. nic55

nic55 Member

I'm using these to hook up the stock control panel (planning to upgrade but not sure where's best to find genuine sticks/buttons yet).
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-Zero...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The stock connectors plug straight in, no cutting/soldering required at all. The only caveat is you need to plug in the joystick backwards, the connectors have a little clip so they only plug in one way, with a little force the connector will fit on backwards fine. The other thing is you need to add an extra coin\select button to get things working unless you want to lose one of your existing buttons to coin\select.

11. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

12. Phido

Phido Member

I hope Aldi gets more of these and prices then at the $300-$400 range. Ideally with a table top option.
    Ideally on the same day as a small ~140l windowed barfridge.

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I wish i had come across the 149 ones. I paid 250 for one but would've happily got 2 for 300 :/
    Id love to get the gauntlet one.

14. nic55

nic55 Member

Started printing out some screw cover caps for my cab last night. Haven't used this brand or colour of filament before, looks like a lot of tweaking is needed.

Design is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3175972

low_IMG_20190130_220159.jpg

MUTMAN, shredder and MonoJoker like this.
  15. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

nic55 nice, I actually bought a pile of black ones that fit into phillips heads from Bunnings when I was building a few cabs - it really tidied up my bartop build.

16. Reaper

Reaper Member

The 3 Capcom ones left at Strathpine Aldi have dropped another $50 to $249 each.

MUTMAN likes this.
  17. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Two street fighter ones at Toronto 2283 for $250 currently. They've been there for ages. No room at my house sadly.

Half tempted... I'll grab em if they drop <$200 and make room lol.

18. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Member

Parts all received, be looking to start build in a week. Looking to add another button for each player on Rampage (future likely to swap out joys for 8 way) and Car Dual USB port on side for Keyboard/mouse or 4th controller. Bought Xin Mo 2 player controller so the 3 should take up only 2 slots. Found OzStick have cool fake 20c LED COIN/Button which I ordered as well.

19. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Member

As for those searching that now have bar fridge Arcade envy (hand up). The Model was a NewAir AB-850B and looks like just under 43cm Width. Looking at the trading posts in Australia looks limited what you are going to find with that perfect snug fit :(. Alternative is like the Ikea Lack Side table and have one of those slighlty wider mini bar fridges to be the riser. But man that cab with the NewAir so sweet looking.

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. Reaper

Reaper Member

None left at Strathpine aldi now. If you still see some and want one, I suppose just do it? :)