1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

ALDI Model Ship -- help or thoughts

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Gazob, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Gazob

Gazob Member

was hoping an experienced modeler could help with a part I'm struggling on.

Got up to step 10 and it doesnt clearly say how the yards attach to the mast.

based on remaining parts i think it may be the black elastic, but how am i meant to do this? It does mention mast blocks, but not in the contents of the kit.

A little lost, if someone bought the other kit (cutty sark) and it explains better, would appreciate a scan of the appropriate pages.

heres pages 12-15 of my manual

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    Gazob

Gazob Member

I decided to lash the yards to the mast after having a look at the other models book. The Cutty Sark masts have holes in which the yards are placed. Having a look at the large pictures on the box of the HMS Victory model at least the bowsprit yards are definitely lashed, so am currently working through lashing all the yards to the masts

3. Walshy

Walshy Member

How do you find the kits, in terms of things going together?

I saw them in the catalog, and briefly considered getting one, but after reading about Amfibious' adventures with a far more expensive kit, I was rather put off, to be honest! :p

4. OP
    OP
    Gazob

Gazob Member

sorry didn't see this reply, still going on the first kit. The instructions would more accurately be described as guidelines as there is plenty missing that you need to work out how to achieve. Currently I think I will need to take about 3 steps backward and remove sails as I can't get a nice filled curve to the sails without starching or doping them.
    As far as completeness, everything required is in the kit, the models are large and impressive, but would have preferred to put the hull together myself, although that would have made it an even longer and more difficult process.
    If I still feel inclined when I finish these 2 I will probably build from scratch next time, but that is probably a while away as I don't have the patience to sit and build for hours on end.

GaZ