Aldi special buy Bauhn LED TV any good?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by antipody, Jul 9, 2015.

1. antipody

antipody Member

I'm thought I was in the market for a new TV around 32" and have come close to putting in some offers on Gumtree, however Aldi's catalog caught my eye this week as if I rock up early next Saturday morning, I can apparently pick up a massive 50" Bauhn LED for $529.

Now while I hope this would just squeeze into the 110cm shelf space I have for it, I'm really not sure about the quality of these TVs.

Looks the goods in the catalogue, but are there any pitfalls to avoid with Aldi Bauhn TVage?

2. B3ND3R

B3ND3R Member

various family members have purchased these, and have no complaints after a year or 2. in general i would compare them to soniq or kogan, build quality is fairly solid (i.e. not engineered to fail), panels aren't as crisp or bright as a high end screen, but bang-for-buck they are excellent.

3. kix

kix Member

Also if you're not happy with it, you can return it within 60 days.

4. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

if you are patient, you can get some good bargains

i got a Sony 48" LED from Dick Smith a couple of months ago for ~ $700

a bit more expensive, but probly a fair bit better than the cheaper brands

5. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

That's above my budget.

I was taking Gumtree route as I was hoping to get away with something for a couple of handy max. There's an amazing amount of TVs constantly being added to gumtree around this price point. Plasma, LCD and LEDs.

Those Bauhns just looked to be really good value for money and they're new!

You don't get warranties on Gumtree, so that's attractive. But I also probably won't find anything with USB recording and playback on gumtree either and they look nice and thin with tiny bezels. I'm also just interested in LEDs as I've never owned one, so yea this is right up there right now.

I think 50" might be too big as the room isn't that big. If I do go this route, I'll prolly grab to 32" for $300, but still not sure on this point.

Other issue is sound. Not keen on buying new speakers/reciever and I reckon these things are so thin that the built in speakers must be shite. I wonder if they'll let me listen to it in the store.

6. sanjay

sanjay Member

prices for all TVs are starting to skyrocket and the true bargains are disappearing thanks to the tanking AUD.

A few months ago with a couple sneaky coupons you could get a DSE brand 39.5" full HD DLED TV for around $250, now the same model is $369.

I snagged a couple second-hand bargains at Cash Converters (a 50" UHD Hisense and a 42" LG full HD) recently to fill some rooms in a new house. might be worth a look.

otherwise, nothing wrong with the Bauhn models from Aldi. I was using a Bauhn 46" full HD TV for over 2 years (and still have it in my bedroom - but it it was always a bit big for the space so its getting upgraded to the LG I just bought).

7. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

So, how do these special buys work?

What time do you have to rock up to your local Aldi store? Do all stores have stock on that day?

If you miss out, how long do you have to wait til they're next available?

8. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

Every store has limited stock, and if you miss out too bad. There's usually a line of people and they race to the specials section.

I've been looking for a new TV myself as well, I was able to use the upstairs Samsung 48" with the xbox for the last 2 months, and going back the older 40" Sony the reaction time is so much worse and the colours are terrible. Itd be nice if I could afford a newer decent brand, but I can't. It'll be interesting to see how it performs.

9. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

Lol, you've obviously never been to aldi.

10. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Aldi is awesome. They make the best baguettes and turkish bread and are cheap as. I have shopped there for a long time. Just don't buy too much stuff from there :lol:

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They do have good specials regularly though.....where you can get $50-100 off purchases with voucher codes.

12. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Had a look in Dick Smith today. They had a 32" around $400 I believe. Looked okay, but I think the Bahaun is still the go. Looks like I'll be getting up early on Saturday and storming the local Aldi.

Geez, just realised it's a mate's birthday party on Friday night. Maybe I'll do an all nighter :lol:

13. 3stars

3stars Member

saw a JVC 42" for 499 at DSE

14. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

I looked at those. They looked quite nice.

I've decided not to go big for this room though and am limited to 82cm of shelf space. I think 32" will do it.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Don't know a great deal about the Bahaun brand so can't say whether they are any good or not. But on the budget end I assume?

16. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

I don't either, but for that money there's nothing else out there that's LED or those sizes, especially with USB recording. Not even second hand.

About 7 years ago I bought some Bahaun bluetooth speakers quite cheap from Aldi and they've been quite good. Still rocking strong.

My main concern with these TV as mentioned is the sound. I guess if it's too tinny I can always take it back and get a refund, assuming I'm early enough to get one.

17. Jonchilds

Jonchilds Member

You can also plug a set of PC speakers in to the TV if the sound is too tinny. Something like the Logitech LS21 speakers which are a 2.1 setup can be had for $30-$50.

18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

If it's anything like what my company does (we have various cheap brand name computer components on the market) then Bahaun would just simply be a brand name Aldi owns and gets a company most likely in China to produce under that name. It's most likely these TV's internally would also find there way into other brand names around the world, the only difference is the exterior would be different for each client.

Not saying it's a bad thing as even the big "traditional" brand names do this from time to time, but yes very much on the budget end.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, I think they can be fine for general purpose. I bought a Soniq 42" for the mancave where I didn't really need anything fantastic.

Also added a $100 soundbar to ramp up the sound to a better level :thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Phwoar. Party was too much... Not a chance of making it in for this.

Did anyone get one? Thoughts?