Aldi, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by SupremeMoFo, Jan 7, 2009.

?

Aldi?

1. Hell yea!

365 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. Shit no.

89 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Meh. I go to candeh supahmarkeht

47 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. There's no Aldi in my state

53 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Gaz

Gaz Member

Aldi for the win! they have 98% of what we buy.

2. onbail

onbail (Banned or Deleted)

Honestly who gives a shit where you shop as long as your saving money and the products you buy are decent and you like it who gives a rats arse.

3. TheFallen

TheFallen New Member

Using farmers markets, aldi and coles and spreading purchases around the three guarantees great quality fresh food, cheap staples and brand name foods.. well worth the extra bit of effort :thumbup:

4. omghi

omghi Member

I wish. I live very close to brisbane CBD and our local butchers are way more expensive than coles/woolies (our woolies is apparently the most expensive in brisbane and perhaps has the smallest range and the coles isn't much better pricewise but at least has a full range). The meat from the butchers is vastly superior and I don't doubt that they are great butchers but we tend to save meat buying for when we are out visiting family in outer suburbs as the prices are much better, both at supermarkets and butchers.

We have no local Aldi but when we are around one buy things like dry pasta, tomato paste, chocolate, soap/shower gels, etc. We spend so little on food compared to most people despite shopping at supermarkets in expensive areas that I don't feel its worth traveling out of our way regularly for groceries.

5. Fresh79

Fresh79 Member

So this mob is coming to SA soon, do they sell stuff in bulk? Like bulk chicken breast, eggs, stuff like that?

6. reunig

reunig Member

Recent convert to Aldi for nappies. End up saving about $10 a week on them and they work just as well as our previous brand. Also, end up buying other stuff so we save there but I always forget to bring bags so I just grab their boxes and use those instead.

7. kona_boy

kona_boy Member

LOL, that's whole bloody point of Aldi.

Jesus, strange brands OH SHIT DUCK FOR COVER

8. omghi

omghi Member

the strange brands thing can be off putting. i can understand if you've spent 5 years working through the regular supermarket brands to find a washing power with a smell that you actually like, that changing stores into the unknown is daunting and may not seem worth it.

the lollies/chocolate at aldi is generally better than coles/woolies in some ways imo.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

People do tend to stick to familiar brands....so this actually may challenge them....heh

10. ohayes

ohayes Member

When Aldi first came out I was like many in this thread, though it would be cheap, nasty and didn't want to 'demean myself' by shopping there.

But now I rate Audi in many aspects better than the competition, the food is great, tastes good, good quality, is cheaper and I like that they have crazy stuff in the store like computers and hammer drills.

Give a few things a go just for fun, like the chips or the chocolate and slowly you'll see that it isnt so bad :thumbup:

11. bazadilligaf

bazadilligaf Member

+1

Yep & love the range of European sweets, marzipan, lollies & dark chocolates :tongue:

We have only been the once, mainly due to it being out of the road for us & less convenient.

If you have one handy & have never been, you must definately go just for the outing, take a gold coin for the trolley & plenty of bags :thumbup:

12. Onyx

Onyx Member

No for Aldi for me, at least not regularly. Went once when they first openned. Needed $2 to release a shopping cart. Then it was all no name products. I'm a brandname whore.

My concern is this: food is one of humans' basic needs. If you're skimping on the food you buy to consume, the amount you save on buying lower priced goods, what junk would you be wasting that money on?!

Costco on the other hand... I can't wait for their introduction to Australia. Hoping to get my laundry powder in 200kg boxes, tissues by the ton, mayonaise in 10kg jars, etc.

13. barese

barese Member

Aldi is really good for everyday things like cleaning products, toothbrushes, etc. I have found that their bread is also really good and cheap as well. The Sourdough is my fav :)

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You get the $2 back after you finish, or you can just buy a $1 keychain for the trolleys. Its just so that people don't steal the trolleys and always put them back instead of leaving them around.

At Aldi you don't skimp on food, all the food they sell is just as high quality as brand name products. You sound like you think Aldi source their products from India.

a lot of Aldi's products come from rebranded known brands. You'll also find Aldi products are often higher quality and taste better then a lot of the cheap branded food at Woolworths.

Nobody seems to understand that there are expensive brands like Kraft but then there are also cheaper brands like "Dick Smith". In the end, its all up to the company and how they want their product to taste. If home brand has a shitty taste, its Woolworth's fault.

Its so stupid saying branded products are better because only the owner of the company knows the quality level of their products. People have been brainwashed by TV to think that because its a brand its somehow better. You really have to have a proper look to find the best products.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people thought Home brand Milk came from rats and Pauls milk came from Cows.

I got 1KG of tomato's for 69C today, and not too long ago I got seedless watermelon for 49c a kilo, not to mention the many other very cheap vegetables and fruit they have. They save me huge amounts and i actually eat better because of it as I can afford heaps of fruit and vegetables.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  15. plainfaced

plainfaced (Banned or Deleted)

I live in Sydney.. Aldi is OK. I dont go there often..
    But went to VIC the other week.. God damn - Its not until I went to Aldi did i really notice this whole Supermarket/liquor thing..

Aldi sells the cheapest grog - And some of it was pretty darned good!!!

Why oh why doesnt NSW have the same sort of licensing laws??

:(

16. omghi

omghi Member

I'm a bit confused... are you saying...

that because something isn't a brand that you know of that the quality must be lower and people only shop at these cheaper places because they are interested in saving money on basic food requirements in order to spend that money on junk?

or

that you like to spend more on your basic food because if you saved money by buying cheaper (not necessarily lower quality) options that you'd just waste that money on junk anyway?

17. [TommyT]

[TommyT] Member

:thumbup: massive fan, aldi right next door to work. instead of spending $10 a day on food i can spend $15-20 and easy to prepare stuff and it will last a week

18. lethoso

lethoso Member

I'm an aldi fan, their weekly specials can have some great stuff.... if you're quick enough.

19. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Had a quick read through this thread...... on the 1st page someone had a whinge about there stuff being in boxes and not on shelves......... sorry to tell you this, but it is one of the reasons why woolies/coles is more expensive.

I work at woolies doing nightfill as i am studying full time. And every box has to be unpacked by hand and all the items put on the shelf...... this takes longer than putting a box out and opening it. It also means there are a lot more breakages. All this has to be made up for in pricing. I work at a relatively small store, and there are hundreds of hours each week (at night when the store is closed) used up just to fill and face the stock. Also the layout of safeway and the huge range they sell means that the theft they experience is huge. We found hundreds of $$ worth of stolen goods (empty packaging) every night, and thats the stuff we do find. You are also paying for this. I am sure Aldi also suffer from theft but not to the extent of woolies/coles.

And as for a social stigma........ dont actually give a rats as to what people think of where i shop. I found some of the Aldi brands are actually better than the well known brands that woolies/coles sell. And the money i save goes into the home loan.

20. AERO

AERO Member

my friend works at aldi and she shops no where else but the place. but like alot have said the brands are unknown to most. ive eaten alot of meals she has cooked me, and the food has been pretty nice. though i dont shop there myself. i dont have a problem with the place.