1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by WackOh, Feb 19, 2008.

1. auApex

auApex Member

To start with, I think we're on the same page in some aspects and at least can appreciate each other's perspectives which is refreshing for an online debate. :)

To answer your question, if overnight people stopped pre-ordering obviously there would be some short-term consequences. Pre-orders sold are currently used as a metric for a game's potential success so if this just stopped a lot of developers/publishers would be very concerned. However, once things settled and the industry realised no one was going to by their crap before release, we would see something of a golden age of gaming where developers would be forced to make their games good in order to be guarantee any substantial number of sales.

Developers would switch focus from producing pre-release demos and promotional material and instead concentrate on perfecting their titles so people would want to buy them at release. Games would still sell as they do now and the successful titles would still be extremely profitable so the industry wouldn't collapse. In fact, the industry would probably grow because the overall quality of games would improve.

I can understand why some people don't see pre-ordering as an inherently bad practice but I really struggle to see how anyone could think eliminating pre-ordering would be anything other than a positive for the industry and gamers.

2. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

PLEASE... DO explain your lack of humour. Did you watch it completely atleast. or is your head too far up your ...

3. dARCKLOWN

dARCKLOWN Member

It would heavily shift the sales potential of game away from marketing and more towards game quality. It would by no means be a black and white shift, but enough that we would see a significant change in quality overall, less hype, more focus of the definable qualities of the game.

Please, please stop pre-ordering, if you want to by a game, by all means but there is no reason to pre-order, unless you live in a pretty remote place. There are more than enough places to grab a game on and after release day, not to mention the digital options available to everyone.

4. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

It really wasn't funny, actually I'd be inclined to say it was cringeworthy. Why does he need to be the centre of attention the whole time? Just made him come across as a self centred arrogant prick. Maybe his other videos are better.... you'd hope so as that was woeful

5. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

i quoted both as it seems you have a shared similar opinion. i can see what you're getting at.

as i've said if a pre-order is more digital content only i generally wont do it, especially if its mutiplayer bonuses only. i'll only pre-order for bonus physical items like art books and diaries or statues and figurines or whatever. but that all depends on the price too. the only time i've pre-ordered a game with bonus digital content is when i wanted the game straight away, was happy with the cost, and the content just came when you pre-ordered anyway. i work away, so i always miss release day, which is another reason i like to pre-order. i know that when i get home, the game will be there waiting for me and i can play straight away. sure it wouldnt hurt me to wait maybe, and its something i'll definitely take into consideration now if it really is having such an impact on the industry.

so anyway we look at pre-ordering purely as a way for developers to market their game with catchy slogans and bright pretty colours, luring in customers with "unique" content made only available if they pre-order, and charging seemingly ridiculous amounts for said content. they worry too much about the initial cashflow from pre-orders and day 1 purchases (that figure would obviously look good on a company profile) rather than the end product and its residual impact. interesting. seems pretty evident its happening. Call of Duty is a fine example of a company selling a name instead of a game. i myself dont really play it, when i do its usually for the single player as i always enjoy the campaigns, but the online im not that into, unless playing with some mates. but you look at the map packs for that game, especially in Australia. what are they these days like $20ea? thats insane. especially when there is such a talented modding community out there who are willing to do it for nothing. and how often are community mods WAY better than actualy developer add-ons haha. i know this doesn't work with consoles but still.

i would love to contribute more to the financial and business factors behind it but i dont know or understand enough yet. time and time again we see release figures of day 1 sales totals, seems in the business world, and the devs at the end of the day purely are businesses, these obviously matter. im guessing it must affect shares, revenue, future budgets, whatever. if you can elaborate more than that please do haha.

the vibe im getting though, and its something that has bothered me for years, it's not so much the pre-ordering of games and the way they are marketed that is hurting the industry. for PC gamers especially, it's the lack of quality demos and actual pre-release content we can get out hands on and touch and feel for ourselves.

remember the Doom shareware version? it was free and you got like an entire episode included in that demo. more than enough to decide whether or not you liked the game. older generation games used to do that a lot, Duke Nukem 3D gave us almost an entire episode of the game. no content was removed or blocked from these demos. they were actual slices of the final product.

but more than that, they were given to the community plenty of time BEFORE the actual products final release. and look how much success they had. i looked up Doom a while ago, as its one of my favourites and i still play it now, and i read that apparently not many full versions were actually initially purchased. maybe because the demo was enough, i dont know. i think i read that on Wiki anyway so who knows how accurate it is. but it lead to the huge popularity of the rest of the series.

we used to get demo discs all the time with magazines. i realise we still do, but they are generally demos for games already released, with the exception of a few. i cant see why a dev couldnt think "ok, this is our game. we have 5-6 months before launch, lets finish and polish a couple of levels, reflective of the final product, and release it, lure people in that way." THEN maybe they can justify some of the pre-order tactics. "hey so you liked the demo? well guess what, if you pre-order we'll throw in some bonus maps early, and maybe a dev diary for the game as well as some concept art and a fucking hat or something" :p they are sort of doing this in the form of alpha and beta tests, but these are stated as not reflective of the final product, they are mostly online only which doesn't mean shit if you don't play online or are looking forward to a single player campaign, and a lot of the time betas and alphas require exclusive registrations or setting up new accounts, which is more of a hassle then simply install and play.

the original Playstation, those who had one, remember the demo discs? they even came with brand new games. you got the game, and a demo disc. i lot of times i discovered games i wouldnt have bothered with otherwise from these demos and went out and got the final product. they dont do that correctly anymore in my opinion, and when they do they don't give you much to see and do, or enough time before the final release or pre-order opportunity.

why has this approach to demos changed? maybe devs are scared of losing customers due to a poor demo, a repeat of Doom shareware where " a few levels is enough", or the demo showing what is going to be a bad game so gamers think "not interested" and dont buy it at all. judging by the responses in this thread, it would have happened with Aliens: CM for sure. or you could imagine the outcry if we were given that video demo to play with, then given this final product after paying. so therefre this leads to the cheap marketing tactics and alluring bonus add-ons through pre-orders. i personally don't think the idea of pre-ordering is a bad thing. am i correct in thinking it's the way they are going about it that is causing this negative impact?

and is it right of them, the way they do it now? depends on where you stand ethically. im not taking their side, but they are still businesses out to make money, with regards to making money its clearly working for them so i dont see the pre-order saga changing anytime soon. not without a HUGE upheaval from us, the gaming community.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. mrthong

mrthong Member

check this gold nugget out;

ACM custom settings.. (v1.5c)

ACM custom ini files settings explained

7. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

shift codes? isnt there a patch in borderlands 2 to give yourself 255 golden keys? :lol:

8. power

power Member

I am curious enough to get this game now and try this.

9. hvalac

hvalac Member

This post sums it up good enough without me really having to write anything.

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

regarding that file...does anyone know what the code is for the 670?

the one that starts with '0x' cos i want to add it to my copy.

11. mrthong

mrthong Member

no idea if this is right,

1189 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670"

so add "0x1198"

LINK to the LIST of NVIDIA's DEVICE ID.

12. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

use gpu-z to check. It'll have the device/vendor id for your card.

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

ah i see, the last 4 digits is the number :D

sweet!

14. mrthong

mrthong Member

report back once you get the mod going! lets us know if the AI are more intelligent.

15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i have the sweetfx mod installed on the game should i remove it just in case it might interfere with the inis?

EDIT: looking through the inis and there's a maxsmoothframerate option and it's set to 62fps so i bumped it to 85 to see what happens.

problem is i have no comparison so will quickly load the old inis and do a quick screen grab.

EDIT2: I don't know if it's just me cos all i see is a change in FOV, the lighting doesn't seemed to have changed. i'll run the game with sweetfx and the inis.

[​IMG]

Modded INIs
    [​IMG]

Modded INIs + SweetFX
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  16. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

these were my sweetfx settings for it while i was playing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found merc sections relatively enjoyable as all you could see were the red lights on their backs, couldn't even see the aliens until they were right in front of you and ended up being a pain to play through. Ended up switching it off while the aliens were about.

17. kreegor

kreegor Member

Isn't all this tweaking and sweetfx'ing just like polishing a turd? It may look better but at the end of the day its still a steaming pile.

18. mrthong

mrthong Member

modded INIs doesnt seem to do any justice. what about the alien's AI, are they more smarter? do they actually attack?

the sweetfx mod is definitely making the game look much better. :thumbup:

19. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

haha good going guys, so you found it funny

20. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Pretty much. Sweetfx doesn't take much time to setup if you know what you want though. The ini tweaking on the otherhand.

all the ini tweaks do is slightly tweak graphics. Think some post processed effects, lod, draw distance e.t.c No magical tweaks for ai.