Alienware M11x

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by riblau, Jan 13, 2010.

1. akromatic

akromatic Member

actually because i paid $1500 for my R1 intially i can get a "free" upgrade however i choose the top of the line i7 unit with 3yr warranty for $1799 so its $300 extra my way

my R1 was the top unit as well considering they have 2 processors options at the time, the SU4100 and the SU7300. both runs at 1.3ghz but the SU7300 cost more and has more cache along with VT-X for running 64bit virtualisation.

when my mainboard failed (again) they gave me a SU4100 instead of the SU7300 that i've paid extra for and i was pissed at the constant services that fixed nothing

2. clonex

clonex Member

U bought it thru dell? i got mine from goodguys so i guess thats out of the question then.

EDIT: I just spoke to dell and apparently i need some special warranty to cover the hinges on the laptop as its disconnected from the laptop itself :D

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. akromatic

akromatic Member

i bought it from JB hifi, they are alot easier to deal with.

is dell willing to replace the hinges? ether way make a case to accc and see if they can do something in your favor for you

4. clonex

clonex Member

i dont know what the lady on the phone was on about, barely seem to hear them anyways. Im on my way to goodguys to get a reprint of the receipt and fact it to the dell customer rep! :lol:

5. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

The R1 i have doesnt have this hinge issue. :)

My mate bought a R2 and the hinge keeps failing. Dell replaces it under warranty.

6. cheddo7

cheddo7 Member

The people on the phone don't have too much of an idea, you really need to be firm but polite and insist it is a commonly known problem - I had this experience a month ago, the woman finally said "what is you address and I'll send a new screen, you can change it", I then replied "but that will void my current warranty, I think the process is to send a tech out to me and do it", she agreed and the next day I had a new screen. Just make sure to check that the keyboard sits perfectly flat and under the 'case' while the tech is still there, my keyboard was not put in properly and this held the screen up a little "sorry mate, don't think the keyboard is in properly" was followed by grunting and groaning, then 5 minutes later new screen and keyboard installed properly! All done the day after I made the warranty call and done at my workplace during lunchtime.

7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

goddamn it i want my sleeve Amazon UK!

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

finally the sleeve arrived! so now i am just waiting on the mask and justified S1.

9. akromatic

akromatic Member

anyone received their R3? watch out for the charger

10. clonex

clonex Member

I just had my screen replaced today as well as the motherboard because of battery not always being detected. The keyboard sticks out which obviously prevents the laptop from closing properly. Push the lid down and when you let go the screen pops back up. Biggest issue i have now that my lid is silver instead of black. Fun fun sending a email back to Dell.

11. akromatic

akromatic Member

I would have imagined that since they follow strictly to the service tag you would get the right parts but no, they just get anything that somewhat "fits".

i'm having my fun calling dell for wrong / faulty parts again

12. clonex

clonex Member

Actually a month ago my R1 was actually a R3 when i entered my service tag on dells website :D

13. akromatic

akromatic Member

lol would be the time to demand a R3 and free yourself from the dreaded r1

14. clonex

clonex Member

well im just wondering that why the tech didnt say anything. Surely its not that hard to tell the difference between a silver and jet black lid?

Anyways i sent my email to dell customer rep around midday that organised my repairs and havent heard anything back :D

Thinking of selling my R1 and buying a R3 :D should get $600 for a R1 with new screen and motherboard surely?

15. kruza

kruza Member

i have the r1, got mine as soon as it was released from dell with a 3yr warranty

the hinge issue has just shown up on mine. im real keen to get ride of the r1 and replace it with a r3.

Been reading the last few pages and it seem like i can get it my money back as it is a major flaw. Ill have a search around but does anyone know the best dell phone number to use?

Also can i insist on it being replace with an r3? or do i have to get my money back and then buy the r3 through dell?

any help is greatly appreciated :)
    cheers.

16. nimmers

nimmers Member

Anyone know if you can disable the menu key? The one next to the right ctrl key.

Annoys the crap out of me.

17. akromatic

akromatic Member

try a keymapper and assign it to null

18. timochy

timochy Member

probably a rare question but any1 successfully installed win xp on their m11x?

19. cheddo7

cheddo7 Member

Did you not read my post about keyboard problem? You need to speak up and inspect the work before the tech leaves.

20. NuZo

NuZo Member

Hey Guys,

I've had my r1 for a while now, thinking of upgrading to an r3 or an m14(except 2k is a bit of a joke).

Just wondering, is the preference different that huge between r1 and r3? i would be rocking the stock standard i5, 4gb, 500gb, 540gt.

Big thing for me is battery life!! how well does the r3 compare to the r1(which has a wicked battery life!!)

Thanks dudes!

Nuzo