AliExpress - Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by shredder, May 23, 2020.

1. shredder

shredder Member

As per elvis's existing RAEOTM posts, AliExpress sells a lot of useful stuff.

As I'm currently spending too-long trawling the endless-listings in the quest to fill a cart with cheap interesting things, I thought it'd be good to have a central thread to show off what's available.

Seen anything interesting lately?

adz, Pierre32 and elvis like this.
  2. Phido

Phido Member

qwertylesh likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Was browsing there the other day and found a few sound cards with "Sound Buster" logos. Had a good chuckle. :lol:

4. kazimatiz

kazimatiz Member

5. Phido

Phido Member

Yeh I should say I'm not sure how legit a lot of stuff is, but I've never had a problem with aliexpress.

Some things they have huge quantity. Over 900 g450 for example.

So often not 1 item listings like ebay.

6. onggie

onggie Member

Would be good to post links to the reliable sellers and also post shipping times.

I buy a lot of stuff from AliExpress and this stuff varies greatly.

7. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

No time to post detail yet. But in summary a few months ago I spent a few hundred$ on perhaps 30-odd random AE items. All sorts of computer adapters and plugs and useful detritus. The last has just arrived, or in some cases failed to arrive.

Out of the 30-odd purchases, about 8 failed to arrive and I've had to go through the dispute process (5 minutes per time, to go through the detail of securing your refund). Including dealing with a few sellers who try sob stories with you when you initiate the dispute to get your $6 back. "Your dispute is hurting us!".

Overall it's been cool but my experience has tempered expectations regarding arrival reliability - if it shows up then great, but don't hang your hat on it. There's a learning curve to using AE well and you'll soon figure it out after a few such purchases.

There's fairly obviously a Gray Area where some % of products are (for whatever reason - perhaps exacerbated by covid) incompatible with the ability to ship properly - and a lot of people wouldn't bother going through the rigmarole of getting their refund back when it's just a few dollars.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  8. power

power Member

that's a pretty bad strike rate!?

9. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

Maybe it's normal for 2020, I dunno.

10. power

power Member

almost a 1 in 3 didn't arrive isn't normal anywhere.

11. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

Shrug, it was what it was.

These are the ones I've had to open disputes about in the past week:

upload_2020-8-31_12-48-48.png

Just checked - actual ratio is 18 received, 6 not + had to dispute/refund after the 90 days wait or whatever. All but one of which are shown above; also shown above is a bullshit "extra shipping fee" one had asked for because of the pandemic, and which I've now also got to chase up. So, a 3:1 ratio, plus $0.96.

Items ordered were of a similar nature to the above, almost always with good ratings, sales and feedback.

As I say, it just is what it is. Your experience may vary.

It's not far out of my range of expectations for a swathe of ultra-cheap small-trader Chinese items shipped halfway round the world for nothing during a global pandemic.

12. elvis

Out of 200+ items I've only had 2 not show up. One was a shipment of batteries, so I should have known better.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

200+ orders also never had a dispute, and always opt for e-packet (cheapest option for tracking) when possible, elvis when buying batteries that are lithium make sure they come in a case or with a controller... ;)

PS - things are taking 2-3 weeks to deliver after landing in Australia.

14. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

How many of those 200+ were ordered and delivered during Covid times? That seems highly pertinent. Might as well ignore the rest.

But perhaps I just got unlucky. As you can see from my screenshot above, these are not unreasonable or unusual items I ordered.

But these items either:
    • got returned by the shipping company to the seller at an early stage (2/6) with the tracking message "Seller cancelled your shipment"
    • made it to partway through the shipping process to things like "Handed over to airline" (4/6), then stalled permanently.
    The other 18 were good, ranging from 3 weeks to 10 weeks arrival time. In all 18 cases the tracking system correctly marked those as Delivered, and the rest not.

All disputes will be honoured. It's just a trivial annoyance to tick the necessary boxes to get your few dollars back in each case.

Treat this as an FYI in 2020 context, or alternatively as an anomaly, whatever you like...

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

12 orders on their way now, 1 awaiting departures and 5 delivered since February purchase, NB 10 orders where made Thurs-Fri last week.

Been buying thru banggood and as well 4/4 so far from China.

16. elvis

Hrm.... COVID stuff is probably in the order of 25 or so? Not sure, would have to check.

Delays are random. I've had stuff show up in 2 weeks, and I've had stuff show up in 3+ months. There's no way to predict it. Even stuff from the same store in the same order turns up months apart.

17. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

I hope all your stuff arrives, gents.

For me, I'm a lot happier about the stuff that did arrive, than I am annoyed about the few things that didn't. And won't stop using AE in the slightest. Provided you know your caveats, then it can't be beat.

18. elvis

Yeah, even with a few dud products and missing things, I know I've saved money over buying locally long term. I know people like to bang on about "get what you pay for", but buying the same stuff locally for 10x the price doesn't sit well with me any more in 2020.

If I specifically want items not made in China (say, specific Japanese or US manufactured parts), that's a different story. But if it's all coming from the same warehouse in China anyway, I'm willing to factor in the 20% loss rate of AliExpress compared to the 1000% markup local importers charge.

19. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

It's not even a financial loss as such, because if something doesn't arrive then the AE system ensures that you do get your refund in the end.

For me as a relatively (to you 6-figure guys) low-incomer-by-choice, being able to spend a couple hundred dollars for a swag of stuff that would cost me $1000+ locally, makes a difference to my life. I'd otherwise go without most of it full stop. /first_world_non_problems

20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I tend to stick to the bigger stores on there , never had an issue. I've noticed lately the prices are a tad disappointing. So havent actually bought anything for a while