All in one pc

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by naijin, Sep 13, 2018.

1. naijin

naijin Member

Hi there just need to know the pro's and con's in purchasing a new all in one pc, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

2. breno

breno Member

Pros:
    Space saving
    Can look great
    Having built in Bluetooth and wifi is convenient

Cons:
    Limited upgradibility
    Probably loaded with software bloat (which can be gotten rid of anyway)

That's all I can think of at this time

3. elh9

elh9 Member

Limited upgrading is a big one, and makes fixing difficult as well if it uses some parts that are not standard /easy to find.

4. philquad

philquad Member

if your handy, not hard to upgrade but easier not to
    buy 1 with least 8gb ram & maybe a ssd drive?

5. FOTW

FOTW Member

You will also be stuck with the screen type and size that comes with it. Some of the screens are horrendous, so make sure your happy with it. Most aren't suitable for gaming lenovo did AIO Y910 for gaming however they have discontinued them.

6. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

For what purpose? Do you upgrade often?

Many parts in AIO are not easily replaceable and some use proprietary connectors for some parts.

If I s for gaming the answer is flat out "NO". For desktop work it should last a couple of years at least. Just remember they generally use laptop parts so even an i7 won't be the same as a desktop i7.

7. kogi

kogi Member

I think a nuc would be a lot more flexible than getting an aio

8. OP
    OP
    naijin

naijin Member

Not gaming, just general use, last upgrade 10 years ago, getting too old to follow the latest trends

9. FOTW

FOTW Member

For general use their fine, we use a few out work and their fine for what we do. Only thing is if something does go wrong they are bit harder to fix. I had to replace a faulty 1tb HDD with a SSD in one and to get it open took much longer then a desktop. The unit had a custom MB and the RAM was integrated to the MB, luckily the 1TB drive was a standard 2.5" laptop HDD. However they look good and save on space and cabling.

10. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

How so? It's the same parts pretty much, still low-powered CPU. The only real benefit is having easier access to upgrade RAM, but an AIO with 8GB would fit the bill at the right price. NUC I agree is good for MFD work and offices but for home use they're not very versatile.

11. kogi

kogi Member

NUC's are availiable from celerons to i7, allow easy expansion of ram and HD. And I think more importantly allow you to choose your own monitor.

I am also a fan of other mini pc like the mele or beelink
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fan...eron-J4105-Quad-Core-Windows/32911000650.html

Celeron J4105, 4gb ram, 32gb emmc ( expandable with m2 or 2.5) for $300 including windows 10

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  12. Pugs

Pugs Member

I use 2 nucs st home as Media PC's... also web browsing on my 55" TVs... how much more versatile do you want them to be??

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  13. FNQer

FNQer Member

as your computing activities are such, you'd be happy with all-in-ones, NUC or building it.

as you're considering all-in-ones, you got the suggestions instead for the NUC = NUC are neat, small option & simple to hook it to a monitor, keyboard & mouse. OCAUers shy away from the all-in-ones, as previously pointed out objecting about not being able to easily swap/upgrade/expand its hardware components. it can be more difficult to troubleshoot/upgrade on these AIO, because of its 'proprietary' build setup. there is a premium paid for such AIO products for its physical presentation/format, where you get IMO more bang-for-your-buck building it.

in the end, it depends on your preferences and budget. you don't want a regular ATX case (mATX, etc) to house your PC. we figured space might be a consideration in your purchase decision.

OP, you might want to look into what monitor to get, if you're not going the all-in-one option.

14. koopz

koopz Member

THE RULE IS:

build the machine that does the job that you need done.

If you can't build one yourself, research what you need to get it done and then figure out how you can make it happen.

15. FNQer

FNQer Member

yup, hear, hear.

there's plenty of help for newbies building their first computers - you got the online manuals, online google search, YouTube tutorials and you got us here at OCAU.

start with what you want in the machine's performance, a budget, then compose the hardware configuration. with that budget in mind, then you can compare the options - what you would get as AIO, components in the various formats (mATX, full ATX, NUC, etc...), and then adjust as you figure it out.