All wireless mice are crap!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Amfibius, Jul 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

All right, colour me unhappy.

The last time I was happy with a mouse, it was the Logitech MX Revolution mouse:

[​IMG]

This mouse was expensive, but it tracked on everything. There was the traditional problem with crappy Logitech software, but after a few revisions this fixed itself and the mouse was working really well. I loved all the buttons and had macros assigned to most of them.

Unfortunately, the mouse eventually died and I bought the Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000 keyboard and mouse combo:

[​IMG]

The keyboard was execrable. It was not very pleasant to type on, and it got dirty very quickly. Worst of all, the wireless function worked intermittently and it kept on losing connection with the base receiver (which could not have been more than 5cm away!).

The mouse was even worse - it was close to unusable. It was way too heavy, did not track very well, and even on a mousepad the precision was not there. The scroll wheel was rubbery and could alternate between "click detents" and smooth scrolling - unfortunately it would switch to smooth scrolling at random. Changing the window from Firefox to Internet Explorer would change the mouse to smooth scrolling. What is more, the buttons for "forward" and "backward" are located on opposite sides of the mouse - one on the left, one on the right (Logitech puts both buttons on the left side of the mouse, within easy reach of the thumb). You try to press a button with your fourth finger - it is not easy.

I hated it so much that I retired the mouse early and bought a Razer Mamba:

[​IMG]

I thought this was more like it - "by gamers for gamers". On the proper surface, the tracking was examplary. The forward and back buttons were on the left side of the mouse. There was no third button, but the scroll wheel could be depressed and a macro assigned to it.

HOWEVER - the deal breaker is that it does not work on my desk without a mousepad. My desk has a black leather cover, and the tracking is intermittent to say the least. Quite often I would move the mouse, and the cursor does not move. Or if it does move, it does not track precisely.

I also suffered from the same problem hundreds of Mamba owners have suffered from - a squeaky scroll wheel. I managed to find a Youtube video where you pry off the top of the mouse, apply grease to the scroll wheel, and it solves the problem.

The software for the Mamba was also rather flaky. The mouse went dead after a firmware upgrade, and I discovered (from browsing the Razer support forums) that you have to turn off a number of drivers for it to work. One of the drivers being - the Logitech Setpoint driver which I needed for my Logitech keyboard!

After a few months putting up with this crap, I bought the latest Logitech flagship wireless mouse, the Logitech M950:

[​IMG]

Got home, opened the box, and found out that it does not include a cradle! To charge the damned thing, you have to plug a USB cable into it. What is more, the mouse feels cheap compared to the old Logitech MX Revolution. Some of the buttons (notably the middle mouse button) has a noticable plastic feel and an awful action when pressed. Oh, the said middle mouse button can not be programmed - its only function is to switch between smooth and detent scrolling.

To be sure, this thing has "dark field scrolling" meaning that it tracks like a champ on my table surface without a mouse. The same surface that the Razer Mamba found so difficult.

But this is not my idea of a flagship mouse. I have been spoilt by the Logitech MX Revolution - now that was a good mouse. Pity that mine is dead. I am not too happy with Logitech losing a few good products from its line-up either - once my Logi DiNovo Edge keyboard dies, I don't know what I will replace it with.

I have tried the flagship mice from Logitech, Microsoft, and Razer. All have left me disappointed. I am wondering what the wireless mouse offerings are like from some other manufacturers?

2. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

I used the Mamba for a while and I loved it bar the issues you mentioned. I "fixed" the issue with Setpoint by not installing the razer drivers. The generic Windows drivers are good and bug free BUT you lose the sensitivity buttons i.e they don't do anything. Got fed up and bought a Sidewinder X8. Good mouse which tracks on almost everything I've put it but the build quality is a bit poor (friends top side mouse button just came off after a year). Battery life is also much better than any wireless mouse I've used previously. They go for relatively cheap now too at ~75$.

3. DeejW

DeejW Member

another vote for the x8. it has the benefits of wired and wireless, with elegant cable attachment. When gaming I hover the mouse over the cable and it snaps into place and then when browsing etc have the convenience of wireless. its win win IMO. have never got any dropouts either.

4. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Does the X8 come with a cradle? Bear in mind I only have two gripes with the Logi M950 - (1) no cradle, and (2) cheap build quality compared to the old MX Revolution.

5. DeejW

DeejW Member

nope no cradle. just a puk type thing for cable management

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Gotta research your products before you buy :p

But these are some of the reasons I don't buy wireless mice for my main rig, and probably never will. Would be nice to go wireless but I'm very happy with wired.

7. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

I like my M950 :rolleyes:
    but then; Logitech did replace my 30month old dying G7 with it for free....

As long as you don't use that middle button to switch between scrolling modes too often; I reckon it's alright. The charging cable is gross yes; but I try to just put it on to charge when I'm leaving the computer for a while; it doesn't take long.

Otherwise; the X8 was what I was considering buying next after my G7.

8. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Never been a fan of the razer mice anyway.

Simple question - why dont you buy another revolution? I have one as well as my g5, bought the revolution off the forums and its in mint condition. Stay with something you know and like imo.

9. tek_01

tek_01 Member

I hate everything wireless, im the wireless nazi

Just too unreliable, cable ftw

10. marc2020

marc2020 Member

Am I the only person that likes the USB cable for recharging? It works like a wired mouse when you need to recharge it cause I forget to put it into the cradle.

11. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Lol

The revolution takes batteries and afaik hasnt got a cradle usage aspect. Still love it though.

12. power

power Member

I have an 8000 for my media center never once had it lose connectivity and sometimes it will sit for a couple of weeks with no use.

However I would not use it on a regular basis as it's a little laggy, but hey it's only on a media center.

Corded mice ftw.

Also having a decent mousing surface it something you should consider, Razer do great one's if your desk isn't up to the task.

13. figrin

figrin Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I have tried multiple mice from Logitech (3 in fact), Microsoft X8, Razer (wired), and none has fit into my category of acceptable wireless mouse. I used to care about cradle but not anymore, as usb cable is much better, even AA batteries are fine. I can't stand the new logitech middle hyperscroll wheel, the X8 is an ergonomic nightmare, and the razer suffers from quality issues.

I believe the mad catz rat 9 is my last hope. My favourite is still the Logitech MX615/620, except it jams with wifi signals.

14. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

I had similar experiences in Vista, and no problems at all under Win7 32bit Ultimate. I never looked into why it sucked so much before as its a media centre and I dont need the mouse and keyboard much. In fact I spilt coke on the keyboard and rinsed it under running water, let it dry, and all fixed (and clean)

15. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

i used to have an MX Revolution, and yeh, it was great for everything except gaming basically (not because it was wireless, simply because the extra buttons arent programable)
    i now have a G9, which is wired, but works great.
    the OP should probably just try to find a new/secondhand MX Rev, if he's having all these issues with wireless mice.
    i use my mouse to control my screens when i'm in bed watching TV, and for this function i have a notebook wireless mouse, and the wired one when i'm at my desk. Two mice seems overkills, but works for me.

16. Tribulus

Tribulus Member

M950 here! No gripe what so ever about it...... I have both my K340 and M950 hooked up to my PC/HTPC and I love them both to bits.

My only gripe with my wireless setup though is the issue of gaming on the keyboard?

Say for instance I am playing TF2 as a scout, If I press W+D+SPACE simulatenously to strafe jump right it doesn't respond? However when strafe jumping left W+A+SPACE it works perfectly?

Has anyone heard of this issue happening before? I have checked my In-game settings and found no faults?

17. ibis

ibis Member

As mentioned it has a puck that holds the cable in position on your desk and you can wrap the cable around it to only have as much as you need sticking out. The cable uses a very slick magnetic connector that just snaps into place, no fiddling with a tiny plug. I've been burnt before by cradle mice dying on me in the middle of a gaming session, with the X8 you just snap the connector on and you've got a wired mouse.

18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Have you tried uber options to get back the extra features that you are missing on the mx950? I wasn't happy with my mx revolution until I started using uber options to assign an the functions to where I actually wanted them vs where logitech thinks you should have them...

19. CD

CD Member

Some wireless KB/Mice don't work when the receiver is too close ie. needs to be > 30cm to work reliably

20. pie123

pie123 Member

I used the Microsoft 8000 combo for over a year, loved the keyboard, and the mouse had a nice solid weight to it.

Never had an issue with range either, we now use it on our htpc from roughly 2m away and it hasn't skipped a beat.

I would use it as my main keyboard and mouse if it wasn't so suited for HTPC use.