1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

All your Pumpkin recipes are belong to me!

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

I'm assuming that this wouldn't be appropriate for the recipe category because I'm requesting recipes rather than posting one myself.

I lurrrrrrrrrrrrve pumpkin. I was vegetarian for two years and vegan for two years after that and used to make all sorts of wondrous foods. Pumpkin soup and pumpkin pie and roast pumpkin were favourites. Yet in the last ten or so years I pretty much stopped cooking altogether and slumped into a horrible diet of convenience food. I've turned that around in the last four months and am now having one 'sin' day a week.

My sin days, however, are more about having something different once a week. For six days out of the week I eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner as part of my diet program. The 'sin' is just to break out of that mould so that I don't crave things like chips and chocolate. Anyway, lately I've found that I don't even crave junk food anymore and just want my sin days to be something different from the norm but still somewhat healthy and nutritious.

And I've decided that I want to start making pumpkin stuff again. The problem is that I completely forget all the recipes I used to use. I think I smoked those brain cells into oblivion. This will not surprise many of you.

So, long story short, I was hoping to get some favourite pumpkin recipes from people here. Yes, I know I could Google recipes, but I'm after people's personal favourites. Stuff they make regularly and love, not some some random blogger's fancy-pants version but real food that doesn't require a degree in fine arts to cook. Just simple, wholesome, delicious home-cooking recipes that a simpleton like me can follow.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. no5isalive

no5isalive Member

Slice kent pumpkin into 2cm thick wedges, chargrill on bbq for 3mins each side. Eat with steak or whatever, any left overs go into a sandwich the next day for pure win.

3. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Yep, BBQ pumpkin slices are a fave of mine. Cut into slices, microwave to soften, pour over some olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then BBQ away.

A favourite from living in Vancouver is Pumpkin Pie! We usually just use a can of pumpkin puree and follow the recipe in it but you can make it from scratch. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6561/pumpkin+pie

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

There's a thread on pumpkin soup and I posted about some pretty nice pumpkin soup I made last time.

Also, stuffed pumpkin. Rice and sultanas and stuff. Can't find the recipe at the moment.

5. OP
    OP
    ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Ooh, BBQ pumpkin! Damn, that sounds nice. I never would've even thought to have done that! Thanks.

6. scon

scon Member

My wife makes a great pumpkin salad. Has honey roasted pumpkin, sesame seeds, baby spinach, red onion, pine nuts, and a balsamic dressing.

7. doug81

doug81 Member

Big fan of roasted pumpkin with ground cumin seed :thumbup:

Good to cut up and use in a salad with quinoa, cucumber, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, firm goats cheese and lime juice/zest with EVOO :thumbup:

8. RoboBust

RoboBust Member

Pumpkin is the shit, so versatile. We once had a pumpkin themed meal, that was pretty much entirely pumpkin. Pumpkin soup with pumpkin bread, followed by pumpkin quiche with pumpkin salad, and of course pumpkin pie for dessert.

9. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

One I forgot about and remembered when I saw a jar of it in the fridge - Pumpkin Butter! It's a spread which is awesome on crumpets. I haven't made it myself, purchased a jar when on sale at USA Foods, but doesn't look too hard to make.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-butter/

10. saraish

saraish Member

Quinoa, pumpkin, feta, mint, bacon salad

11. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I just made from scratch Pumpkin Pie :D

was awesome, made everything including the pastry ^_^ worked a treat :thumbup:

12. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Awesome! What kind of pumpkin did you use?

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm gonna make some pumpkin scones. Yum.

14. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

butternut :D

Now, here's my recipe

Mathiusella's Pie.

1kg of pumpkin of your choice (butternut recommended)
    2 tablespoons of rum
    100ml of extra thick cream
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    200g brown sugar
    1/2 a teaspoon of ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon

pastry ingredients

125g of butter
    250g of plain flour ( SIFT IT!!!!!)
    1.5 tablespoon of icing sugar
    milk ( for brushing pastry )
    chilled water

1st step PREHEAT OVEN 200 degrees C

precooking the pumpkin

a. peel and cut the pumpkin into 1.5cm^3 to 2.5cm^3 pieces
    b. wrap the pumpkin cubes in foil with a light brushing of your favourite oil and place in the oven for 45 minutes.

Pastry steps

a. Sift the flour into a medium sized bowl ( Bowl 'X' )
    b. cut the butter into 1cm^3 pieces and place into X with the flour
    c. sift the icing sugar into X
    d. blend until mix looks like breadcrumbs. Note: only takes a few seconds, then you will need to use a spoon to reset the mix and blend again. x2
    e. put 6 tablespoons of chilled water into the mix and blend once more.
    f. take pasty out and place upon bench where you shall kneed it into a ball.
    g. place ball of pasty in cling wrap and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.

h. at this point your pumpkin cubes should be ready to take out of the oven....

Pastry steps part 2

( note: at this point, glaze your pie dish with non stick cooking oil/butter)

a. once your pastry is rested, take it out of the fridge and unwrap
    b. when unwrapped grab a rolling pin and smooth it out into a 3-4mm thickness
    c.test fit into your pie dish, if it fits we leave it in and blind bake for 8 minutes.

Blind baking.
    a. place baking paper over your pie, with 4-5 tablespoons of rice on top to absorb moisture and keep the paper down. ( handy if your over in fan forced)
    b. place in oven and leave for 8 minutes.

c. take out of the over an let it rest while you prepare the rest of the pie.

Pumpkin filling

a. Mix together 200g of brown sugar rum and 2 eggs with a whisk until there are no sugar lumps left and it looks like a syrup

b. place the pumpkin with the following into the food processor

2 tablespoons of rum

100ml of extra thick cream

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

1/2 a teaspoon of ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon

c.blend on the slowest/lowest setting as to not Puree the mix. for 5-15 seconds

d. slowly pour the mix of sugar + eggs + rum into the food processor with the pumpkin mix and blend on the slowest speed

e. when this is complete feel free to blend to whatever texture you like, however. The reason to home make pie is to get a real pie with real ingredients in it, so i suggest leaving the pie with the nice chunky texture you have currently.

f. take off the baking paper and rice from the pastry and fill the pie with your pumpkin filling mix.

g. any excess pastry can be used decoratively around the pie. My favourite is to give the pie a floating crust.

h. place your pie into the preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes, then turn it down to 150 degrees and cook for 1 hour. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR.

i. once the 1 hour and 5 minutes is up, take the pie out and let it cool on the stove top, bench or wherever is appropriate to make your housemates fucking hungry :p