Allans / Billy Hyde Receivership

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Squeezer, Aug 23, 2012.

1. bangmango

bangmango Member

Its a bad sign ,things are going to get a lot worst,not enough money going around,like someone , said,3K guitars that can be had for half teh price,we all love bargains...still bad for the workers allways.

2. Phorte

Phorte Member

as noted by other people: these guys won't be missed...

i'm looking forward to seeing the liquidation sales!

3. reags

reags Member

Doubt you'll see much of it as it'll likely become another case of staff dibs

4. akashra

akashra Member

Maybe this will work in my favour - let's hope they have some Behringer Xenyx mixers in stock that they need to clear cheap.

5. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

True, but I don't think it'll be be quite the same, as music gear is a more expensive investment, so less forgiving to buy 'because you can' which is what tends to happen to electronics retailers and the like.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

I went there this morning. The assistant said they weren't being closed down. They weren't doing a firesale or anything, it was just normal.

7. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Dude, aim high!

8. lithos

lithos Member

"Behringer: it's German for 'shit'".

9. Perko

Perko Member

LOL.

Yeah I'm amazed that some of these "staples of music retail" have lasted for so long. The shops down here that fall into that category are massively overpriced, totally sales focused and too insulated to see that AMI and Fender are sending them the dregs of their import shipments.

In the north there is a shop, (Red Hot Music), that is much more musician focused and has diversified in a few different ways. They run a near booked out musician school for lots of different instruments and styles, they have a great CD/vinyl shop that brings all sorts of people in, decent guitar tech etc.

The only way I see these shops existing in the future is if they rethink their strategy and become more customer focused. Musicians aren't made of money, but they respond to relationships and at least the facade of not being screwed over. Some of the other shops have done the music school thing, but just got a couple of unreliable/mediocre mates in and picked up a bad rapp. Worse than doing nothing.

10. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Recently bought a new guitar, and of course bought it from overseas (Allans/BH didn't even stock it, let alone the price difference if they did). This news doesn't really shock me, and I have a hard time feeling sorry for them really. It was their choice to overcharge, and people are too savvy to that nowadays, what with it being just a click away to buy the same thing so much cheaper.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

Does anybody know whether North Perth is still open or already closed down?

12. BigandY

BigandY Member

all stores should be open until the end of the month.

Of course, you could call them and check.

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

I did, on Saturday. There was no reply.

14. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

Not all stores are still open, as they are clearing out the regional ones they are shipping remaining stock to the metro stores / Melbourne. Would not be surprised if Perth was closed already. Several QLD stores are.

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

Nor would I. I found out about the closures rather late in the day, it could easily have already happened. You'd hope that they'd put a message on their phone if they are shut, but you can understand why they wouldn't. The poor staff have got more on their plate than worrying about the remaining customers of a defunct business.

16. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

There's a sign up behind the counter in the Brisbane CBD shop that says something along the lines of "YES WE ARE CLOSING, NO WE DO NOT KNOW WHEN!"

Nobody wants to talk about it, especially when the question they're being asked essentially is "so when are you going to be unemployed?"

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Unfortunately, customers trying to be supportive by mentioning it that they are sorry or whatever is just going to make their day full of fail having it mentioned over and over.... It must be no fun everybody trying to get everything cheap and talking about how you no longer have your job. Hopefully, they'll find new positions quickly and get to put it behind them.

18. OP
    OP
    Squeezer

Squeezer Member

In Adelaide the old owners are getting back into it again. John Reynolds Music City will be restarting business where Billy Hydes was for a few years

19. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

I guess people aren't buying expensive houseboats either?!

20. Piroteknik

Piroteknik Member

wonder what it means for derringers, 'm not into guitars e.t.c- but kniw they are somehow at least affiliated with bh.