Almond Biscuits

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Shaetano, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

Ingredients (1 x tin, 40-50 biscuits)
    • 3 egg whites
    • 1/2 cup castor sugar
    • 1 cup plain flour
    • 350g whole unblanched almonds

Method

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and then gradually beat in castor sugar, beating well after each edition until all the sugar is incorporated. Fold in sifted flour & whole unblanched almonds.

Spread into a greased & floured 25cm x 8cm bar tin. Ensure that the mixture is well packed into the tray to so that bubbles are minimised.

Bake in moderate (190-200 for electric, 180 for gas) oven for 30 - 35 mins or until just firm to touch. Turn out of tin to cool.

When cold, wrap in aluminium foil and put aside for three or four days.

Using either a very sharp knife (or in my case one of these) cut bread into wafer-thin (4mm) slices onto oven trays, bake in slow oven (150 electric, 140 gas) for 45 mins or until dry.

Leave to cool and they'll crisp up.

Some tips (there's a few!).

When slicing, don't make them too thin as they will tear easily before baking and also shatter easily once re-baked. When baking biscuits, note where the hot spots are in your oven (mine is back and bottom) as biscuits in these areas will dry / cook much faster so keep an eye out for them, I usually rotate them after 20-25mins.

I do quantity above x 4 which nets me about 220 biscuits due to the slicer (though it takes forever to do the last bit haha). I also only bake 2 tins at a time and do 3 sliced trays in the oven.

Lastly, for the egg yolks, we make egg mayonnaise with them to use in our insalata russa when doing this at Easter / Christmas. Or you can freeze the egg yolks but make sure that for every 3-4 yolks you either add a 1/8 teapsoon of salt or 1 teaspoon of sugar (and label them :p)

[​IMG]
    Don't be scared when the almonds seem like it's most of the mixture :)

[​IMG]
    Treat the filling mean to avoid air bubbles when baked which kills the integrity of the biscuits

[​IMG]
    Let the loaves cool down completely before wrapping in foil

[​IMG]
    Slice and bake (use multiple trays if you have them but watch oven temps)

[​IMG]
    Nom

[​IMG]
    Nom nom

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. AusScare

AusScare Member

Looks awesome, and easy! Will have to try it out.

3. scon

scon Member

They look great! I imagine they'd keep for a while due to the low water content... how long do they keep?

4. OP
    OP
    Shaetano

Shaetano Member

with my family about 2 days :)

In an airtight container easily two weeks I'd imagine but we have never had that problem lol.

5. Vassili

Vassili Member

Id be concerned that Id ruin them in the cutting phase. Brb buying a slicer :lol:

6. RETARD

RETARD New Member

wow that brings back memories

looks superb well done

7. alch

alch Member

Quoting you just so you know your damn avatar had me fooled, Almost went to squish my screen. >:/

Mmm but damn those cookies lookies goodies.