Alphawest/Optus announce Cloud services

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by yanman, Nov 17, 2009.

1. yanman

yanman Member

press release

So it looks like Alphawest and Optus will be first to market with Cloud services in Australia. Is anyone looking at this?

We've wondering whether it might be worth a trial. Apparently the VMware product has a snap-in for Virtual Centre 4 so you can VMotion to and from your cloud-hosted servers!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

It's funny this comes up - they have positioned this as identical to the in-house cloud we're about to build. Not same functionality, same identical.

Specifically, that the UCS blades I expect Alphawest would use are the same as HP blades, that whatever storage they have is the same as the storage we haven't even selected, and ESX is identical to Hyper-V.

Hmm. Similar functionality? Sure. The same? Ah, no (not least because moving 200 VMs from Hyper-V to ESX would mean removing enlightenment and installing the VMWare extensions, then having the business units retest everything).

If you're already a VMWare shop - this is a good offering. If you're already an Optus customer, it's great.

There are still questions around it - specifically, around backup, HA, DRS, performance guarantees, but if I was a VMWare customer needing ad-hoc capacity, I'd sure look at it.

3. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

IME, the reason they will claim it's more secure is because they have dedicated administrators just for the one product, and they guarantee patch installation on time.

Which as we all know is the ONLY thing required for a secure environment, right? :Paranoid:

4. hapkido

hapkido Member

Ahh, no, they were not the first.

BTW - has anyone noticed how ALL the major vendors are trying to:

1) espouse their new cloud solutions based predominately on existing equipment. It's now 'Cloud enabled' (cloud version 1.2.... :()

2) Educate the market that everyone now needs cloud. And

3) Trying to define exactly what cloud is...

Sorry, the fact that everyone is trying to explain exactly what this is, to me is just crazy marketing in overdrive.

Not to argue that some of the features/functions/services cloud provides is not real or in fact useful.

5. ra66it

ra66it Member

I got an email from Telstra offering hosted\cloud applications (exchange, antivirus, office etc)

What really annoyed me was that it was sent to me (as an IT manager\sysadmin\tech) with the line

"Customers can do away with expensive onsite IT management costs including administrators, power, software updates etc "

I'll just put myself out of a job, no worries Telstra.

I just don't feel the trust handing out the company's email etc. to another organisation. Given Telstra's shitty customer service, I would hate to think how difficult it would be if something went wrong. Having said that, I feel uneasy enough using gmail.

6. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

I'm old enough to remember when this was Grid computing .... ok so cloud is slightly different concept, but it's not a new concept.

7. oli

oli Member

Are there others here who hate this "cloud" buzzword?

8. waxling

waxling Member

yep, pretty much everyone with a clue, who understands that the guys running this infrastructure will be "monkeys".

Can't wait.

9. ltd73

ltd73 Member

the idea here is that its "private cloud" tied into an Optus WAN service so in essence they (Alphawest/Optus) can offer you a one-stop-shop for providing you with either primary or DR datacenter.

as such you would not need a "snap in" to vmotion servers, the intent is in fact that said servers would be L2 adjacent to your existing / your own datacenter hosts.

as always the devil is in the details. Cisco UCS is by no means the same as HP c8000 blades. for one, the RAM configurations possible are quite different. as is the connectivity.

sure - to you - those may be moot points. but they can make a huge difference to the overall architecture.

how the networking parts work - connections between DCs is also probably quite different.

i'm not involved in any of this, other than i'm across the overall architecture and the networking parts used to connect things together as one of the vendors providing many parts of the solution.

Derro may be able to provide some additional details.

10. oli

oli Member

At least with a word like cloud we can make endless jokes about how people have their "head in the cloud" because it's so "soft and fluffy". ;)

11. The_Derro

The_Derro Member

Unsure of the exact details that Alphawest is going with, but they are certainly using UCS Blades and possibly the rackmount servers as well.

It sounds like a hosted service environment, so they are probably using some higher level of automation like BMC to install OS and applications.

i.e. Customer rings up and says "I want an exchange server capable of supporting 300 users" - and they can provide you with a full server in a very short time (minutes even).

A fully integrated BMC + VMware + UCS system is amazing to see in action :)