1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative to adrobe flash

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by lt_matthew, Jun 4, 2021.

1. lt_matthew

lt_matthew Member

As the title says is there a trusted alternative to flash. I recently reinstalled mozilla firefox and I'm surprised how many sites need flash. I thought all the web browsers would have prepared for adrobe discontinuing flash or html 5 would cover the short fall.

2. rthy

rthy Member

last time i saw a flash/activex was on a china cctv system.
    it should be phased out by now, unless the websites you frequent haven't been updated for some time?

3. Falcon

Falcon Member

Flash replacement was the responsibility of the website developers

pwlm1975 likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If the emphasis is on "trusted", sadly the answer is "there is none" if you're talking from the client/browser side if things. Flash was just too insecure, and needed to be deprecated.

If your requirement is preservation of flash content, these are two options:

Ruffle Flash emulator written in Rust. Allows you to host your own legacy SWF files and have them work in browsers that support WebAssembly:
    https://ruffle.rs/

Blue Maxima's Flashpoint. Enormous collection of flash content in a sandbox player:
    https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/

But neither of these allow your modern browser to access Flash content on someone else's server. And they pose their own security risks, and should not be used for secure content and systems.

Also, "Adobe" is the name of company that was making Flash most recently up until its necessary demise.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  5. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

It shits me how ubiquitous Flash became, and how quickly most places found more secure alternatives when pressed. Should have been ousted years ago, like IE.

Groff likes this.