AM/FM radio on Android

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by FR3D1, Jan 2, 2015.

1. FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

I know there are many FM radio apps out there that use can listen to FM stations through headset but what about AM? I haven't seen a single phone with a AM radio receiver capability without having to connect to the internet. Can someone point out to me if theres actually phone that I miss can pick up AM signal or why can't it picked up by a regular phone?
    Also apart from default apps that comes with phones what are some other app in available in play store that you can use to listen to radio without connect to the internet.

2. dicer

dicer Member

Why do you want AM? Many AM stations have moved to digital now. I'd be asking which phone has a built in digital radio tuner.

3. rubix

rubix Member

The cricket would be the first reason, for me anyways. Cricket Australia changed it so that the only way you can listen to cricket commentary is through the CA app, which lags behind by a good 15-30 seconds, which is most irritating when you're actually at the cricket.

4. j_a_h_2077

j_a_h_2077 Member

I use TuneInRadio Pro (there is a free / cheaper version) to listen to the radio. It seems to be the most reliable radio-streaming app I have used (on iOS & Android)

In my case, however, I am listening to the alternate station steams which are not broadcasting the cricket while the cricket is on (i.e. 3AW).

5. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

I think the reason you won't find AM tuners in phones is because the antenna needs to be larger, and would add significantly to the weight and size of the phone.

6. power

power Member

that's it, got it in one.

7. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

It's most likely because of the Antenna - a typical compact AM antenna is about the size and shape of an AA battery. And almost any digital station will lag a little. Have you considered getting a pocket AM/FM radio for $20. Based on the number of people who have them at the football, they must do the job.

8. kally

kally Member

The AM antenna on my stereo is a very light-weight plastic square, about phone size, with wires wrapped around it. And plenty of Walkman/Discman's had AM radio. Google 'am antenna' and 'am walkman'. They are tiny, granted they are susceptible to orientation issues.

9. OP
    OP
    FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

any clue why FM don't requires a big antenna but can pick it up through headphones?

Does this app have offline radio through head phone rather than streaming it online? I was hoping to look for one I can use even where theres no internet.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  10. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

The interference from your phone would be terrible on the am antenna.

You want a small am/fm pocket radio for sports.

Digital+ signals lag by 10-15 seconds which is why sports broadcasts are on the regular am/fm band. I have a compact DAB+ radio and it sucks.

Lastly, if a phone has no fm receiver you won't get free radio. Samsung s5/nexus 5 has no fm radio or I would have bought one. Still using galaxy s2.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  11. underskore

underskore Member

ignoring the differences between receiving the amplitude/frequency modulated signals the frequency ranges they are broadcast on give it all away (I think...)
    AM = 774 kHZ (ABC radio national)
    FM = 107.5 MHz (triple j melbourne)

a factor of more than 100 between wavelengths, this impacts on antenna lengths required for clear reception.

I'm not sure on the specifics but basically a headphone cable can be hijcacked to receive FM but it's nowhere near long enough to be used for AM. (AM antennae are usually a very long coil?/wire)