AM4, 9xxx APU, and Ryzen Information Thread (Updated)

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Sep 6, 2016.

1. xlot

xlot Member

2. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

I surprised at some of the negative responses to Ryzen here so I thought I'd weigh in with my opinions.

I've been an Intel user for 30 years straight. Never owned an AMD CPU - I skipped the Athlon in '99 cause I already had a decent P3 at the time. Gaming is a small part of my PC use, and I don't bother overclocking. I haven't followed the hype and leaks, and I don't have a bias for either other than wanting a competitive marketplace.

I'm super impressed with Ryzen. The benchmarks look good, certainly on par with Intel. The pricing is good. The power consumption is good. RAM speeds could do with some work, but it's early days. Onboard USB3.1 is great. I'm stoked that AMD are back in the game and it's a tough choice right now between Intel and AMD.

But the tipping point for me is the AM4 socket. Every damn time I want to upgrade my Intel CPU I have to buy a new motherboard* because they keep changing the pin count, while AMD sockets seem to stick around for ages. I like to buy high end motherboards with tons of ports and features so if AM4 can save me from a single motherboard upgrade then that's $300 that can go towards the rest of my system. :thumbup:

Edit: *or vice versa

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  3. RnR

RnR Member

4. xlot

xlot Member

Linux workstation benchmarks posted on Servethehome..

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-linux-benchmarks-zen-buy/

Makes the 1700 look ridiculously good.

(e.g. used LGA2011 dual E5-2670 v1 (sandy bridge) setup costs around $AU600 landed from USA)

They also don't really discuss power consumption, and I think perf per Watt will make an even stronger case for Ryzen.

5. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

That kernel compile benchmark looks a bit wonky - 16 core 2.6Ghz Sandy Bridge setup (the dual 2670) is pwning the 16 core 3.2Ghz haswell-e setup. Haswell-e was a good chunk faster clock-for-clock than SB, so has to be other factors at play there (e.g. the 2670 setup might have had the 128GB ram that most bundles come with).

But yeh, the 1700 looks very good - though I'm more interested in what the 4/6 core parts do when they arrive - combined with that ITX mobo above.

6. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

7. OP
    OP
    mAJORD

mAJORD Member

awesome!, thanks DD. Have added to the OC thread guide section

8. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel Member

They only include a couple of comparisons with the dual-E5-2670, to be fair. But I like the workstation workload comparison - from my perspective, this is where these first Ryzen 7 CPUs sit. A 7700K is still the better option for single threaded uses, and i3 and even i5 is still more compelling in the budget PC space where consumers are very price sensitive. It also doesn't have enough cores to compete in true server workloads such as a VM host, although for small environments and labs it would be OK. It also lacks connectivity flexibility - compare 84 PCIe lanes to 16.

IMO Ryzen's most compelling feature (beyond actually being competitive) is full ECC support - compared with what's required to get ECC on an Intel platform, Ryzen is stunning value. It has almost jumped to the top of my shortlist for workstation builds, but with what is (for me) a significant limitation - pretty much every workstation and even office PC we've delivered for the past four years has included vPro, as it significantly simplifies and improves support. Ryzen has no equivalent, with nothing even on the roadmap from AMD at this time (as acknowledged by their CEO in the Anandtech interview). Maybe that's something we can learn to live with, as offset against the lower cost - we'll see.

Going one step further - as soon as there are Ryzen options in the sub-$200 price bracket, Ryzen with ECC will be extremely hard to ignore for all office PC options - again, the only caveat is the lack of a vPro alternative. Given none of the budget office PCs we have in service have ECC and it's something I've been pushing heavily for years, I think I'm going to have to suck up the backward step in support in favour of getting ECC onto every user's desk. Intel have been trying to push the channel with various upgrade scenarios for years, trying to make a compelling case with which to wow our customers. It looks like AMD have beaten them at their own game here - ubiquitous and universal ECC support *is* actually a compelling argument I can use to convince customers to do whole office PC refreshes. Everything from Intel has been iterative since the Core 2 (which was seriously compelling over P4 and Athlon). ECC in a sub-$500 system means there are finally no more legitimate arguments *not* to do things properly and dramatically improve data reliability.

9. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

10. TaroT

TaroT Member

yes seems to be a windows 10 scheduler issue(remember the bulldozer/steamroller steam of crap...oops :) same sort of thing happened there to a lesser extent, hopefully MS will do a fix.

now my question is how does Linux handle this sort of thing...does it have the same issue?

11. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

i think people are forgetting that the cpu benchmark difference isnt something that massive as we knew there was a catch dont know why people were so shocked. they only benchmarked at 60fps 4k so it was a good indicator they were hiding something , i dont remember them comparing them at higher fps in benchmarks

. tbh i am impressed they hit so close to the mark they aimed for. with all new architectures theres gonan be a early adopter phase with issues (i think jaytwocents went over this in a video on release or something (mightve been tech talk)

my worry is that there has been 0 word on benchmarks of the "main stream gaming cpus 1600 etc)

(6700k user btw) im not gonna upgrade but might make a mini workstation when the kinks are worn out.

cant remember last time people argued this much over which is better with amd having a real claim outside of fanboys

/end rant

:)

12. Kykachi

Kykachi Member

Its is funny seeing how the anti-Ryzen arguments (against nobody in particular) are cropping up.
    I personally am moving over to the 1700 soon, am excited to be able to do my video creation/streaming/encoding etc on a system more purpose built.
    This isnt to say anything negative about the current flag ship (and former) 'gaming' centric CPUs (i personally still love my 6700k) - I bought and built a Z170 system purely for gaming but since my needs and use have changed.

The consistent argument of 7700k vs 1700 is a little bit the fault of AMD, it was a poor comparison, they would've been better served comparing it to the 6800k etc. But the method to their madness would be identifying that the 1700 will more likely gain the larger market share of this series - thus becoming AMD's main representative in the overall CPU market, requiring comparison to the equivalent 7700k.

Ryzen is simply more accessible to the budget conscious users who were previously trying to catch a Broadwell-E on the cheap.

13. kripz

kripz Member

i haven't been following, is there any home/mainstream boards that will use ecc ram with ryzen?

14. Supersize

Supersize Member

Yep, Wendell from Level1Techs ran a ASRock X370 TaiChi with 2133Mhz ECC ram.

https://youtu.be/VjGWqTFultI?t=1m19s

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  15. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

once you go 1440p not much gaming difference and most "enthusiasts" are already on 1440p or higher plus 1700 vs 4 core intels at 1440p still let you record/stream and run physics etc in games that support it

16. ForneverAlone

ForneverAlone Member

picked a 1700 with wraith up off fleabay for 300.. Let's see how it goes ay!
    PS : Yes , still some left at that price..

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

18. TaroT

TaroT Member

300 is a good deal if you could find one best i found was 380 pp so yeah pics or it didn't happen :p
    i would thoroughly agree with that.
    well i will find out tomorrow when my board arrives...finally.. then a testin we will go

19. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

still hasn't arrived?

That blows......

Here I am thinking about replacing my secondary system with another Ryzen chip lol

20. me28791

me28791 Member

When it was mentioned earlier, I checked and it was up. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162427864585

Not sure if we can post links to listings, but since it has ended meh

Seller did say extremely limited quantities.