AM4, 9xxx APU, and Ryzen Information Thread (Updated)

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Seems to be really disappointing.

They needed to win at something and make headlines, they don't really do that.

Anyone with typical usage is better off using Intel, and for any other usage it seems you are better off getting an Intel CPU and overclocking it as they seem to overclock better.

3. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

Seems like another dismal AMD failure :(

4. power

power Member

It's a foundation going ahead, I wouldn't say failure but in the same breath I wouldn't consider one.

5. ohhmygod

ohhmygod Member

It matched/beat Intel 6900k in some test results, at 50% cost. How on Earth is that a fail ?

:thumbdn:

6. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Intel need to be careful that they don't just become labelled as a gaming platform like Amiga did way back when .

7. power

power Member

Intel =/= close to Commodore.

Commodore was more like an Alienware/Dell or similar.

If you want closer to parity you'd talk about Motorola and MOS.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just checked out a price of RYZEN 7 1700X 8-Core, ouch.

9. RnR

RnR Member

Get the 1700, same performance with a little manual tweaking :)

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'll have to come back from Intel then if I do : )

11. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

The cpu itself seems to be pretty damn solid. Have a look at the linux testing on phoronix.

It's consistently at the top, and this to me shows that the actual cores/architecture is working as intended.

There is something going on in the windows side where it's not able to keep up. Whether that's drivers/bios, no idea, but it seems to be pretty solid on alternative platforms.

Not only that, the performance indicators from different sites seem to be VASTLY different too.

I've seen ones where the physics scores on 3dmark firestrike are comparable to the 6900k, and obliterating the 7700k. GFX scores are equal between all three, but then comes the combined and it's like 2k less than either one.

12. power

power Member

This CPU is just total AMD fanboi territory right now, no-one else would even be interested unless they are budget conscious I guess.

What a shame, I thought they were about to put the fire up Intel's arse.

13. bennyg

bennyg Member

TL;DR it only looks good because Intel have priced their HEDT CPUs crazy high for a long time.

14. RnR

RnR Member

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I like how AMD are saying its really good for 4K gaming, doesn't that just mean "You're GPU limited, so your CPU doesn't matter and ours is cheaper" ??

16. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I think its a decent chip, but not something I would move to now. I was itching to move, but AMD doesn't give me the bang for the buck incentive.

The problem, I foresee for AMD is how many people are like me, and now not going to buy, AMD might still get my money but it might be Ryzen 2 or Ryzen 3 before I upgrade,

I really hope they didn't bank on my money for R&D.

Basically until the launch, I was planning to splash out close to $1000 on 1700x and 370 MB and other bits and pieces (and no I didn't look at every leak) but did follow the hype in the background listening and reading about how much better Ryzen will be potentially for games, on their demo they showed at AMD live sessions. The innuendo was there from AMD.

Maybe gamer is a very small market? I will wait for the next round be it Intel or Amd

I presume my scenario, fits many cpu buyers.

1. My day to day CPU performs reasonable well. Yes there are faster chips out there but not worth upgrading

2. Games - though not a major player, it is the only real task that use up a lot of cpu power on a regular basis that I notice.

3. once a blue moon I encode or decode, but not going to splash out $800 to do it.

So I will keep prodding on with my IVY, and buy in the future, only 50% chance I will buy AMD.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  17. RnR

RnR Member

I doubt that :) Rumours has it that Zen will appear as an 8 core soc in Microsoft's Scorpio.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Every release of AMD CPU's for a long time has been just that, which is fine except for the fact that they desperately need money.

If they aren't careful AMD GPU's might go the same way.

I don't know why you are putting so much mystery behind it.

AMD has poor per core performance, nearly all games still use one core as the main thread, even if they use 8 cores.

Never in history has a driver/bios update fixed performance for a CPU post release, why would that happen now? Why would AMD purposely release poor performing CPU's they plan to fix later?

This is exactly right.

Like usual they are relying on people to say either 1. AMD is great for 4k gaming, 2. AMD CPU's will receive driver updates to fix performance (I am seeing this all over the Internet right now)

It won't change much, most people know Intel still has the performance and will keep buying them, such a shame for AMD.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  19. RnR

RnR Member

Wasn't there a patch released for XP back in the Athlon days?

20. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

No mystery behind it at all.

There's plenty of evidence that bios settings are fkn with Ryzen hard atm. Disabling HPET boosting performance. DDR timings and speeds are being neutered when they should clearly be stronger.

Not only that, there's been PLENTY of window patches to fix Scheduler issues due to hyperthreading.

It's a new platform, give it a month then i will concede it's a fkn disaster, but when running on linux, the performance is fairly on par with the rest.